Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Any advice on my tackle?, With Anglers Haven 16th - 18th
FatRap
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:01 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Not sure where you are but I found my Glo Shots at Gannon Sports in Oshawa, I know Sail in Oshawa does not sell these lures. They were a popular seller this year so they may be hard to find right now.

As for the rod, not sure what you are fishing with now but you do want a rod that is pretty sensitive as the bite can be very light up there but at the same time you want a rod that can handle everything from a small perch to a 20+ pound fish, the beauty of fishing Nipissing is you never know what might be coming up. That being said I am not a big fan of rods that the reel mounts onto the rod with the two plastic sleeves like the one you posted, I prefer the rods that you can adjust/screw the handle to secure the reel to the rod.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:15 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

you can also try perch eyeballs on the lures.......it works and they stay on better

but first you have to catch a perch

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:21 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15418

Dang! I was just at Gagnon Sports, its where I bought the Seville Vibrato - I will stop back in there this Friday to see if they have Glo-Shots. Thanks for the tip FatRap!

So the importance of feeling the bite is to set the hook right? As soon as you feel that bite, you pull up on the rod to set the hook? Any other techniques/tips to get the fish through the hole without losing it? I Perch and Walleye are straight forward, reel up through the hole - but if the bite is heavy and something large is on the line would you handle it any different?

Only been fishing a couple times but I feel like this is a gig I'll really like!

PMEmail Poster
Fishberg
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:23 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15418

I see lots of recommendations for 1/4 oz buckshots, is the 1/2 oz too large? Would I be best to swap the orange/yellow 1/2 oz I have for 1/4 oz if that's the largest I'll ever need?

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 03:28 pm)
Thanks all, fantastic collaboration by seasoned fisherman helping out the little guy - can't wait to get out there!

Now to locate the glo-shots, especially the rare ones like the wonder bread! Going to have to stop by Fishing World in Hamilton this weekend...

$25 off of this puppy... is it going to do a better job than the $15 combo I already have?

https://fishingworld.ca/products/11759-frab...ter-combo-38hvy

Great combo, I have one and it is sensitive with great back bone

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:42 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 04:23 pm)
I see lots of recommendations for 1/4 oz buckshots, is the 1/2 oz too large? Would I be best to swap the orange/yellow 1/2 oz I have for 1/4 oz if that's the largest I'll ever need?

Depends on the depth and the current.. You should be fine but you could even go down to ⅛ jigs..

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 04:51 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 04:23 pm)

Personally on Nipissing I dont use much heavier then 1/4 oz

PMEmail Poster
John 59
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 05:59 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14992

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 04:21 pm)
Dang! I was just at Gagnon Sports, its where I bought the Seville Vibrato - I will stop back in there this Friday to see if they have Glo-Shots. Thanks for the tip FatRap!

So the importance of feeling the bite is to set the hook right? As soon as you feel that bite, you pull up on the rod to set the hook? Any other techniques/tips to get the fish through the hole without losing it? I Perch and Walleye are straight forward, reel up through the hole - but if the bite is heavy and something large is on the line would you handle it any different?

Only been fishing a couple times but I feel like this is a gig I'll really like!

I was at Gagnon sports sunday only glo shots they had were red but got one to try, my have more stock now?

PMEmail Poster
FishCrazyT
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7751

This little gem works great. Itís the ultra light Rippin Rap size 4 uv pink tiger. I would trade in your regular lipless for an ultra light

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
FishCrazyT
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 08:15 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7751

Another pic

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 07, 2018 - 09:24 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Fishberg @ Feb 07, 2018 - 06:21 pm)

but if the bite is heavy and something large is on the line would you handle it any different?

"Get the gaff"........always a good idea to have a gaff and make sure it is accessable to grab quick.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace