Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Feb 6,7,8, Lake is on fire!
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 08:10 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

Spent Tues., We'd., Thurs with Hyatt. First lines were in the water Tuesday afternoon around 1-1:30. I didn't show up til 2. That afternoon was pretty slow. Nothing on the flashers and by Rob's final check we had only brought up 3 'eyes. He had us in a new spot.. huts had only been there about a week. 11ft of water below the ice. The fishing picked up around 5 and witching hour was steady. Once we figured out what they wanted it was hard to keep 2 lines going. For a while the average lifespan of a lively, properly hooked shiner in Lady Nip was about 8 seconds lol. By 7 it was over for the night. We didn't count but figured about 20 eyes between the 2 of us. Had lines down all night and nothing touched'em.

We were up and at it 6:30 Wed. With snow in the forecast we were hoping for a walleye day and that it was. First fish didn't come until almost 9, but they would come and go all day. Flashers were not marking anything. If you had what they wanted they would swoop in and eat it. Lines with shiners that didn't fit the bill would sit dormant until you fixed it. Tried jigging during lulls in the action and it wasn't drawing anything in. Witching hour was productive again. Not as hot and heavy as the night before but lasted longer. The bite lasted past twilight and into the night. We had action around 8, 9:30 and 11:30. We were marking fish this time, quite a few moving under the hut but not hitting. I passed out during a lull around midnight and woke up to bare hooks.

We slept in Thurs. Woke up @ 7:30. Got the holes cleared, put the coffee on and immediately lost a fish. Re-bait, brought up the first fish of the day. We would only land 2 before packing in @ 11:30.

We ended up with probably 60 fish. No perch. 1 Cisco and a lost rod that flew out of a rod holder and down the hole. Buddy was standing right beside it and never had a chance.
Maybe 60% of our fish hit pinheads. As active as they were they were taking their sweet time with the bait after hitting. They would grab it, sink to the bottom and suck on it. We lost quite a few fish as a result. Fish "spitting" the hook @ the top of the hole was a reoccurring theme. I had one fish hit a larger shiner. I grabbed the rod and actually lit a smoke while I waited. Still missed the hookset... It never even stripped the minnow!
No keepers. Nothing close. A few rather chunky 16-16.5'ers but everything else was cookie cutter juvies.

Rob was sicker than a dog and still running the show!

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Sounds like you had a good time! Congrats

PMEmail Poster
Warlock
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 05:01 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8012

Great report,sounds like a good time was had with your group,even though the keepers were evasive!

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 05:18 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Good stuff. Love the walleye witching hour.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 05:29 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

There was only two of us this time around. Dunno what my buddy was doing wrong but my lines outfished his about 8-1. The group before us caught 100 between 2 huts. I think Rob had said they pulled up 6 keepers.

It went by too fast. I was fishing Thurs and it feels like I've been home a week.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 06:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

It always goes by too fast.

PMEmail Poster
thrillhouse
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 06:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

Great report, thanks.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 08:47 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Sounds like a good trip with some decent action, thanks for the update.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace