Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishbay Marina Feb 8-11
Johnny Dee
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 01:33 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 2722

We are back from our annual trip to the Nip at Fishbay. We had a great 3 night stay with Kevin and the crew at fishbay again this year, they really know how to take care of us up there. Anything we needed was just a text away and John would be out in no time.

We went up Thursday and got on the ice around 4:00pm. It wasn't long before the first perch hit, but the window was short so we only landed a couple that first night.
On Friday we started out early but no real action until 8:00-9:00am. we caught a couple more perch and a few short walleye. Action was slow and steady all day fishing inside and outside the hut. We also got a visit from the OPP and MNR on Friday around 1:00pm who reminded us (With a ticket) that drinking is a sport which should remain indoors. They didn't hassle us too much, looking for licenses and short walleye.

Saturday was more of the same. Slow and steady all day. catch a perch then a walleye ect. I myself didn't catch any walleye until Saturday dusk. I went outside the hut and in an hour caught 3. All my fish came jigging a buckshot ( Pink and blue). The last one which was the biggest walleye of the weekend at 19" was interesting. I lowered my line down after re-tipping with a fresh minnow and my line got snagged inside my reel and I snapped it off. So I had enough line in my hand to hit bottom and wrap the line around my hand twice, so I said "Screw it, its almost dark, I'm hand jigging it". So I hand jigged my Buckshot for about 5 minutes and wham! The biggest one of the weekend and a keeper to boot!

All total we caught 41 fish. 16 Walleye with 2 keepers and 25 perch. it made for a great feast on Saturday night! What a great weekend.

Can't wait until next year.

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 01:41 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Sounds like a good time other then the ticket

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 01:56 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Thanks for the update Johnny Dee, sounds like a good weekend with friends, decent fishing and a fish fry to cap it off.

Well done

PMEmail Poster
GERS FC
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 02:19 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2750

great report. ticket for drinking on the FFS. years ago they would not bother you for drinking on the ice. PR^CKS.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 02:54 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Ticket,that's crap... Maybe a warning would have done imo .. Just crazy..
Sounds like you all had a good time none the less..

PMEmail Poster
gibbysfishin
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 03:54 pm

Fry

Member No.: 4903

We were up at fish bay just before you. unfortunately
we had to leave early because of a family emergency
with one of my friends. The last evening, I was using
a perch coloured buckshot, and had success with
going about 5ft off bottom, and making them come
up to the lure. I did it the first time by accident when
I reeled up. the fish came flying off the bottom to grab
my lure. Ended up catching a couple more that way,
and losing a couple too.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:11 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

2 keepers for 16 walleye can't complain about that ratio, and lots of perch to round out the fry, sounds like a beauty weekend.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 05:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Feb 12, 2018 - 02:54 pm)
Ticket,that's crap... Maybe a warning would have done imo .. Just crazy..
Sounds like you all had a good time none the less..

Ya, a warning should have been it. As mentioned, other then the ticket it sounded like a great weekend in my books. Thanks for the report.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 09:46 pm

World Record Trout

If renting a hut from an operator with bed , kitchen and your own bathroom is it illegal to drink beer out front of your Hut..hmmmmm..
I was always told it was ok...
Someone that knows law can come in..

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 09:57 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Feb 12, 2018 - 11:46 pm)
If renting a hut from an operator with bed , kitchen and your own bathroom is it illegal to drink beer out front of your Hut..hmmmmm..
I was always told it was ok...
Someone that knows law can come in..

We were told out front at the bbq was okay, any further you are taking a chance.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 10:01 pm

World Record Trout

Hopefully we get to the bottom of this.I just posted on the simco board a topic about it... Might have to get more details about it from the original poster..lol

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 11:48 pm

World Record Trout

Johnny Dee looks like you could fight it....

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 01:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

The op did not specify how far way from the hut he was. I am assuming he was outside fishing and some distance away..ergo the charge.

They are hammering down on his more and more

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Johnny Dee
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 10:55 am

Fry

Member No.: 2722

When we were out there the guy had a can of beer about 40 - 50 feet away from the hut. We had a couple holes and tip ups set up out front to spread out our chances. They sledded out pretty quick and went right to them, like they had bee watching from a distance. There were about 10 huts where we were and since we came out a day early there were only 2 of them occupied. They didn't bother the other group.

They came to us counted all our lines, asked for all our licences, asked if we had caught any walleye, We had caught 2 by that point, both short and released.

At that point the OPP officer issued my friend a ticket for public drinking $125.
We all split on it so its not the end of the world but a warning would have been nice.
I guess we really didn't learn much because the we continued to do it, but used solo cups to be less obvious.

PMEmail Poster
sandybay
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 11:07 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 998

Ontario Liquor law states when camping on crown land you may consume alcohol within 20 feet of your tent/ residence.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace