Hunting Forum Hunting Regulations    
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> All around bird shotgun, Opinions on good ones
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 09:57 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9278

Iím new to hunting never hunted in my life...I want to get out on turkey opener and get one for the table...Iím looking into buying my 1st shotgun...Iíd like to get an all around shotgun good for all waterfowl and turkey ( if thatís possible)...now Iím new to this so I know a bass rod is different from a steelhead rod...Iím not sure if thatís how shotguns are...I donít care about how much it is if i get one thatís an all around bird gun. Iíve read upon the stouger m3500 so I know thatís an option...anyone with opinions and info on some good all around bird guns would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 10:20 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

1187 Remington 12 gauge . 23/4 & 3Ē ( Semi auto )

Also good for big game.

Well priced and all around bird gun.

Next up from that I would go with Berretta .

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 06:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

I'm a Browning man. Can't go wrong with any of their basic 12 g, 3" capable, screw in changeable choke semi auto. I shoot the gold and never felt the need for any other gun. Well recently bought a 20g weatherby youth to use as an upland bush gun just for a lighter carry gun.

PMEmail Poster
Orangebucket2
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 07:08 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14719

If it is your first shotty the Stoeger is great for the price, just get the chokes that you need for the game you are going for.
I have found that many people have trouble learning to point and lead if a semi is their first gun, and end up doing the "spray and pray" and have trouble improving. Make sure you go shoot several boxes of clays to get the correct technique. Silverdale can sometimes do an instructional shoot with you if you call in advance and if you ask really nice.

OB

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 07:23 am

Smolt Trout

Iím actually very familiar with the Benelli M4 tactical semi auto...Iíve shot clay with it many times with a friend....thatís the shotgun I really want... can i use that as an all around bird gun? Iíve called a gun shop and they said i can put chokes on it. It has a 18.5Ē barrel. 12 gauge 3Ē (76 magnum)

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 07:42 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (1stdrift @ Apr 20, 2018 - 07:23 am)
Iím actually very familiar with the Benelli M4 tactical semi auto...Iíve shot clay with it many times with a friend....thatís the shotgun I really want... can i use that as an all around bird gun? Iíve called a gun shop and they said i can put chokes on it. It has a 18.5Ē barrel. 12 gauge 3Ē (76 magnum)

Don't think the design of it lends itself to make it a good wing shooting option.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 09:00 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Not to weigh in on the "brand" selection here -- we all know "you get what you pay for" and sometimes with shotguns the "fit" can be as/more important than the label on the gun itself when it comes to hunting success.

If this is a new member of the hunting community, my first thought was this gun's action itself. In particular, its cleaning. A pump action is simpler to maintain, and therefore more likely to be kept in good working order.

On a safety note..... I've seen more than a few hunters using a semi-auto shotgun/rifle moving around with a "loaded" (chambered shell and no safety) after the shot -- adrenaline related. With a pump, having to manually eject and re-chamber the next shell, it's less likely to forget to safety your gun. This is not a "knock" against one action vs another (I own both), but a practical suggestion for a first-time gun owner that comes from experience in the field.

Good luck with your purchase and your years of hunting with it.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 09:19 am

World Record Trout

I'll conceded on the ease of maintenance of a pump and especially for waterfowl where abuse from the environment can foul an auto a pump can be cycled no matter how gummed up it gets.
As for safety really don't believe action makes one more safe than another. Really it is up to the operator and it doesn't matter if its semi, pump, double, or even a single shot.
Since the OP asked for a 1 and done option the semi built on a hunting platform and not a tactical one gives the most versatility as I'm a firm believer in the notion of the saying be ware of the man with 1 gun as he knows how to use it best.

PMEmail Poster
ytjigger
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 10:09 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 17

Great safety point Newburg007.

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

I Bought my first and only shotgun over 20 years ago when Canadian Tire in Toronto was liquidating all their firearms. I didn't think too much about it, I only knew that for 50% off (i.e. $200) I couldn't go wrong. Well as it turned out, it is the only shotgun that I need.

It is a 12 gauge (28 inch barrel) pump action shotgun that accepts 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells. It came with a modified choke and I later purchased an extra-full choke for turkey hunting. Being a 12 gauge gun with a 28" barrel it is well suited turkey and goose hunting using 3 1/2 inch shells. I also use it for upland game birds and rabbit using 2 3/4 inch shells. The gun is a little long to be the ideal firearm for dragging through the woods when hunting grouse, but it doesn't bother me a bit and it works just fine.

My recommendation is that you consider a 12 gauge, 28" barrel, that accepts 2-3/4 inch shells as well as 3-1/2 inch ones. The make is not that important. Mine is a $200 Mossberg. I also like what Newburg007 said, namely that if you are new to shotguns a pump action is probably safer in the beginning - safer for you, and your buddies.

That's my 2 cents worth.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 05:11 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Canít go wrong with a mossberg. I have the 535 ats. Very durable. And you can buy different barrels for different applications.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 06:30 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

This is the fasted pump I've ever owned. Comes with 2 barrels and 3 chokes. $600. Winchester SXP.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/39602/winche...p-shotgun-combo

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 08:21 am

Smolt Trout

I had a couple gift cards to sail so thought Iíd buy something from there...I ended up picking up a Winchester mosgb SX4 12 gauge up to 3.5Ē 26Ē barrel semi-auto. Came with 3 chokes. Couldnít decide on the camo so just got the waterfowel since I can take more ducks home...now I canít decide turkey opener? or rainbow!!!!?

PMEmail Poster
coldmike1
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 09:18 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3039

for the smaller stuff I use a Remington 20 gauge model 1100, for the larger stuff I use a stoeger p350 pump if you can still find one, a great turkey, goose and slug gun but apparently no longer in production, my 1100 is 40 years old and has never given me any problems, the stoeger is durable and comfortable to hold and comes up quick and easy. if budget allows 2 firearms may be better than one all around

PMEmail Poster
uber_matt
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 10:14 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5795

Just waiting for the government to work at the pace. Of a half frozen snail to send me my PAL and then my buddy is going to sell me a Remington 870 wingmaster to get started.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace