Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ice out
dan66
Posted: Apr 09, 2018 - 11:55 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 4141

finally seeing in the two week forecast some + temps.. but really not that warm..
ice out for opener a concern for guys or do you think that is a non issue?

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Apr 09, 2018 - 12:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (dan66 @ Apr 09, 2018 - 11:55 am)
finally seeing in the two week forecast some + temps.. but really not that warm..
ice out for opener a concern for guys or do you think that is a non issue?

I think it will be close..

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Apr 09, 2018 - 01:31 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

We might set a record for the latest ice out date this year. It currently stands at May 19.
Except for the inflow areas, we haven't really lost any ice yet, and now there is a fresh covering of snow that needs to melt away before any serious amount of thawing can take place.

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 12, 2018 - 04:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3999

I tend to agree with buddy on this one.....might set a new record for ice out.

My question to those that know the biology of fish...what will this do to the life cycle for this year? My concern is that the spawn for walleye (and perhaps other species like pike and muskie) will be delayed due to the spawning beds in the shallows being either frozen or not quite up to temps yet...and then all of the sudden the season will be open on spawning fish and the onslaught will happen?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone seen this happen in years past?

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 - 08:38 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

pike and walleye are ice out spawners. if ice out isn't till opener that can be problematic, but I don't think the MNRF will adjust the opener for the season for this. not many people fish for muskies to keep. so I don't THINK they are as worried for that one. the waters can warm up quickly by june, so this could mean a fantastic opener for muskies putting the post-spawn feed bag on

PMEmail Poster
Doral30
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 - 10:29 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 977

Walleye will spawn under the ice. Length of daylight is also a big factor into when they spawn

PMEmail Poster
bundwick
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 - 08:16 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15905

Hey guys,

Do any of you know if the west arm ice typically comes off earlier than the main part of the lake. Specifically Waren bay/sucker creek area. We were hoping to head up there for a work weekend first or second weekend in May but need water access.....doesnít look promising.

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 - 02:43 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

Gonna be late for sure. When we used to chase smelts off the north channel our magic date was April 19th. That will not be happening this year!

We've had late ice before, with the spawn 10-14 days before opener.... the fishing is never really any good the first wknd those years. Everything's sluggish. We had perch drop milt into the boat one year, fishing in a snow squall. Takes a week or two for the bite to get "on" most years.

The west arm will open before the main lake. It had about a foot less ice than the main lake this year at the end of the season. Lots of narrows, creek inflows, etc. to keep current going and eat away the ice quicker. At least good portions of it.

Bundwick - how big a stretch of water do you have to cross? First wknd in May is almost a write-off at this point I would say. That's 3 weeks out and we're still making ice. Might be okay in a month with a change in weather depending on where you are.. she goes quick when it starts, but it's gotta start first. Not there yet. Supposed to get dumped with snow on Sun/Mon, but that's good.. more runoff to get things goin' when it warms up.
If you have to cross the channel at sucker creek you'll be good to go a lot sooner than say, if you had to cross over to the west side of warren bay.

PMEmail Poster
bundwick
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 - 06:53 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15905

We have to cross right through waren bay. Weíve never been there in there during the thaw so we donít know how all that works. Thanks for all the good info. Looks like Iíll either have to talk the wives into letting us go Motherís Day or do work on the long weekend instead of relaxing.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 09:24 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

I asked my MNR contact his take on the effect of spawn. Will report here when I get an answer.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 12:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

Here it is, quite informative:

"Here is my educated opinion on this:

Firstly: You are correct! Fish don't usually feed while spawning, but because they tend to be more aggressive during this activity, they may snap out at a lure if presented thus giving the false impression that they are indeed feeding. Oftentimes, the fish will be "snagged" rather than caught by the mouth. This behaviour puts the fish at a marked disadvantage which is one of the reasons why fishing is prohibited during the traditional spawning period.

They wont spawn if the conditions aren't right (i.e.) temperature and photo-period are two that come to mind. Some of the eggs can be reabsorbed back into the body, but my guess is that spawning will be delayed until ice-out. But the longer they have to wait, the higher the risk is to egg viability once they do actually spawn. This means that the eggs may be dropped without fertilization or the ones that do get fertilized won't hatch. They will be white in colour....essentially dead! This will lead to low population recruitment ,which will ultimately result in a poor year class. This is not a death knell for the fishery, but it will be noticed by fisheries managers as a downward "blip" in the population and felt by anglers years down the road as this weak cohort moves through the system (i.e.) there will be less lunkers around to catch sometime in the future. Barring a catastrophic event like extensive nutrient loading, change in water chemistry (pollution) and/or overfishing, the fishery will eventually rebound as everything in nature is cyclical.

Hope this helps you understand it, and I also hope this doesn't happen. But its been a crazy spring to say the least . We can call this new season "sprinter" combining the words spring and winter."

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 09:42 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

I have seen this question come up through the years, this is my opinion, ice will be gone, spawn will be a little late but not a big concern. Friday will begin a heavy thaw and it wont take long before its clear after that. my guess is ice out may 10th.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 02:19 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

This is why it's beneficial that the walleye recovery plan for Nipissing is a 10 year plan and not a one or two year make or break Hail Mary.
The ten year fishery management plan recognizes there will be spawning years less successful then others...that's nature...it's unpredictable.
They started the walleye population rebuilding process based on two strong year classes and they've had several more strong spawns since. It would take several poor spawning cycles back to back to be any kind of impediment to the current recovery. There's always that remote possibility.
All great info in Sterling's post...thanks for contributing it.
Length of day (photo period) and water temps are definitely the two biggest factors effecting the walleye spawn...with water temperature being the primary one.
The walleye spawn generally won't occur until water temps reach approximately 4-5C and will finish when they reach the 10-12C range. Males come in first to the spawning sites and linger afterwards to make sure there isn't any late arriving females. Females generally take about 4 or so hours to do their thing...that can occur over a day or several days. There's no parental responsibilities after spawn and the spawning process is rigorous and energy consuming...so the females will generally quickly leave the shallower spawning sites and head for deeper water for a short recovery period.
That's why fishermen sometimes find mostly smaller male fish, immediately post spawn, in close proximity of spawning locations....many of the bigger females have already booked it out.
Water temps are a very helpful determinate as to where the fish could be located at the start of the fishing season....particularly in a year where the spawn was late or delayed.
It's true, if conditions aren't right for spawning, walleye can absorb their eggs...but that's not likely to happen very often at these latitudes. Egg absorption is something that happens more often in locations further north where the season can be severely delayed or greatly shortened.
So westarm probably stated it the best, there will be a spawn at some point. It might be late and it might end up being shortened somewhat, time will tell....but there'll be a spawn of some kind. And the current walleye recovery will continue.

PM
ldub
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 03:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Cool post, interesting info. Nice to see the MNR respond to your question.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 02:18 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great post, very informative replies from all.

Thanks all for your contributions, well done

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace