Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> South Bay fishing, Fishing help
KazLund
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 09:22 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14467

Morning,my wife and I are staying at Tom Rae lodge in southbay Lake Nipissing today is our third day here and we have not caught one fish . I tried jigging with a worm for walleye and I have casted over 100 different kinds of lures from spoons to spinner baits and nothing . I had a pike follower one time . I can't believe we can't even catch any perch with a worm . We tried Preston bay and hunter bay and all around the smaller islands in the bay . We fish Lake Erie regularly and wanted to try something new was hoping for a chance to catch some walleye without having to troll and also a chance for some pike . Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated, I love the area very beautiful place ,I would love to return if I can ever figure out how to catch some fish . Thanks in advance for any help you can offer .

PMEmail Poster
TopRaider
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 10:23 am

Egg

Member No.: 3801

I've fished south bay once a year since 2008, and will be up in a couple weeks. We fish for musky and big pike. I will say, in my experience, it's a tough fishery. When they don't feel like biting you can go through a lot of fishless days until their mood changes.

If size doesn't matter, in the early days we would catch a lot of hammerhandles fishing Mepps #5 spinners over any weeds we could find. Also would catch smallmouth around the islands/any rocks you can find with rebel crawdad crankbaits and 3 or 4in grubs. Can't help much on walleye as we don't really target them. Jigging live worms and crawler harnesses out in the lake is my guess there.

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 12:29 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3596

Hi Kazland
I know you didn't want to troll but you will cover more area and improve your chances of finding them.
Watch this video and try this slow death hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmOaI2_3gY

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 03:19 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4441

Bottom bouncing in 20 to 30 feet of water with spinner and worm, will produce guaranteed. Big old minnow drifting around humps, although kind of a boring way to fish will produce. Live minnows will also produce large bass(smallmouths). I agree trolling and covering water, usually gets fish. You would think the owner of the lodge would give you some pointers.

PMEmail Poster
patracker
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 04:00 pm

Egg

Member No.: 4568

Have fished south shore area many years and have mixed results. Last year was very poor, but same week this year resulted in our group (14) was very successful. Was first time for son in law who targeted bass and caught some lunkers. My 2 sons and grandsons were after musky and pike and did very well. The big winner was my fishing buddy and his son who landed around 20 big pike. I caught some nice pike and a 26 inch walleye and another keeper out past gull rocks fishing humps using worm harness. Wish I could give you specific locations of where most pike were caught but forum rules do not allow. Not being specific I can say weeds in Perkins and lures were bucher tails (yellow) and Grim Reaper spinners. All pike were released to fight another day, so go get them, Good Luck.

PMEmail Poster
FishBait
Posted: Sep 04, 2017 - 09:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 10143

If you are open to a different area of the lake you can't go wrong with Glen Echo on Callander Bay (east end). Scott and Chris are great owners. I have been fishing there off and on for the last 25 years and never been skunked. The last two times have been the best in terms of numbers (300-400) walleyes for our group (one week) but only 2-3 keepers. Jig and a worm.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace