Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Simcoe Report-Wednesday-June 20, Marked Lots and Lots of Fish
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 07:30 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Was on the water and a rod down by 7:30. Started marking fish when I hit 90fow.

Decided to start with the Grampa Jim technique of dragging the cannonball on bottom and using flutter spoons at 1.5mph. Did this for an hour and nothing.

Marked a concentration of fish, so I anchored and started to jig a Meegs "Gobie Pattern", and based on what Dinky showed me last week, I added a nymph on a higher hook. No hits on the Meegs and had "lookers" go up and inspect the nymph, but no hits.

Went back to trolling at 1.5mph, 90-115fow and not dragging bottom. Ran a sliding cheater.

Marked lots of fish and some would "streak" up to the cheater depth and turn and zoom back to bottom.

Marked another concentration of fish and anchored again. Same results as the first time.

Went back to trolling and increased the speed to 2.0mph and, tried an experiment. Clipped a set of "cowbells" or gang troll, whatever you call it onto the ball on the 2nd rigger and dropped it to the same depth as the lure on the other ball. Thought an "attractor" might work. Fish would come in but still no action. Ran the "attractor" 15ft above the lure and fish would go and look at it, so I knew it was having some effect.

So then, I decided to take the "cowbells off the 2nd ball and attach them to my main line and run the lure behind them. Thought that might work--Guess Again!

Tried all different colours of spoons as well as big and small. Didn't try a Rapala of lipless crank. Maybe I should have.

Never had a hit all day, despite marking many fish--I suspect some of them may have been large herring.

Made an interesting discovery with my Helix 5 Sonar. See my seperate post about it.

Quit at 2 PM. Beautiful day on the water, pleasant temp and little or no wind.

Third time out this year and I have yet to get a fish on.

Until next time.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
ginochipchip
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 09:18 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4023

i am new to lakers
i have been out 3 times and nothing
marked lots of fish just no hits

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 01:35 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

Ever try hitting the gas when one is coming in for a look? The "chase" is usually a big part of triggering a bite on Simcoe lakers through the ice. Might be worth a shot.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 07:01 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Wow lots of experimenting in that trip. Great read and very informative.

Sorry the fish were not willing to bite.

Still a nice day on the water, sorry it's been slow for you this year..

Sooner or later, fish will be on the smoker..

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 07:49 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Jun 21, 2018 - 01:35 am)
Ever try hitting the gas when one is coming in for a look? The "chase" is usually a big part of triggering a bite on Simcoe lakers through the ice. Might be worth a shot.

Hi Chuck

Thanks for the comment.

I was speeding up and slowing down as well as turning/zig zagging to change the lure speed.

Also, tripped the lure from ball a number of times when fish were there, so that the lure could rise up. I've had that work at times, but not yesterday.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Dinky
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 09:20 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 212

That's too bad Ralph, beauty day, Tried calling you around 1pm.....no answer.....was hoping you were fighting a laker....lol
Did you try out where we ended the last trip? Is that where all the marks were?
Next time
Cheers
Greg

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 10:36 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Well it's not from a lack of effort Ralph, hope things change around for you soon so you can fire up your smoker.

Tight lines buddy

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 11:48 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

Sounds like you had a good day anyways. Just am FYI don't think you would of faired any better at Bluffers. Was out today mark almost nothing still think its early.
Also wait till you see the redesign.
Looks like they gutted the place and replaced everything with metal.
Although there are still 2 double ramps they seem narrower.
Maybe a tight squeeze when it gets busy.
Also they took out the sand beach were yakers could launch now they'll have to use the boat ramps that will add further to the congestion.
Also the construction seems shoddy as there are already several sink holes developing in the pavement.
For now it was only me and 3 other boats.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 09:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

next time you run the bells....put a spin and glow or peanut 18 inches behind them....it works

that many fish and no hits makes me wonder if they were trout as well, but then I do not fish trout on Simcoe in the summer....

gl

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AlconaKevin
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 - 04:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

I cant stand it Ralph, you deserve something man.

Lets go out jiggin this soon, you can show me how you drag yer balls and i can show you how i wiggle my rod.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 - 08:22 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (AlconaKevin @ Jun 23, 2018 - 04:33 pm)
I cant stand it Ralph, you deserve something man.

Lets go out jiggin this soon, you can show me how you drag yer balls and i can show you how i wiggle my rod.

Hey Kevin

Sounds like an idea. Let's keep it in mind.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace