Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lures and Baits, Which lures & baits are effective?
Boomstick
Posted: Jul 01, 2017 - 10:15 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14084

I'm going to be leaving for my summer vacation on the west end of Lake Nipissing in two weeks, renting a cabin and a boat. I thought I should ask what lures and baits are effective for catching bass and walleye on Lake Nipissing? Are there any particular colors of senkos or power worms that are particularly effective on the lake?

Also in general, is the water generally fairly clear or full of weeds? I have two spinning rods, currently one has 12lb line and the other has 10lb but I am debating if I should put 8lb fluorocarbon on the one with 10, and leave the other as is, or put some 10lb on that as well.

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Jul 02, 2017 - 09:17 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4328

My absolute favorite trolling lure for everything that swims is the Berkley Flicker Shad. They are basically Rapala Shad Rap clones but you van get 3 flicker shads for the price of one Rapala. Mouse, firetiger, classic shad, purple and any of the proflash series always perform well. If you are fishing weeds big swim baits kick butt.

PMEmail Poster
Boomstick
Posted: Jul 02, 2017 - 10:46 am

Egg

Member No.: 14084

Thanks! I added a couple to my shopping list.

I doubt I'll be fishing weeds with heavy lures because I'm generally equipped with MH and M rods, appropriate for western Massachusetts where I live. I could probably use a catfish rod for it. I figure I'd try instead to fish maybe a weedless rigged texas rig or shaky heads instead or if there's lilly pads that aren't too heavily weeded I can try a frog.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Jul 10, 2017 - 07:44 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9546

Don't overlook topwater baits. They are so much fun!!!

We just returned from a bay close to the month of the French River & Lake Nipissing where our Livebait frog was just hammered for about 4 hours straight.

You didn't have to wonder whether you had a bite or not, they just smashed it.
We (my brother & I) easily caught our limit of bass. We released all of them to fight again.

PMEmail Poster
badapples
Posted: Jul 10, 2017 - 07:59 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7586

1/4 or 3/8 oz jig in chatruese and a worm or slow trolled worm harnesses in perch or chartreuse for the walleye, 90 percent of the time though I am jigging either drifting or anchored, look for 20 to 25ft of water

PMEmail Poster
badapples
Posted: Jul 10, 2017 - 08:06 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7586

10 or 12lb mainline is fine, just pick up a spool of quality flouro carbon and use a 18 to 24 inch leader, the 10lb sheephead can be fun aswell. target early morning at sun up and dusk to dark, fishing for walleye gets tuff midday but bass bite readily in high sun

PMEmail Poster
LunkerChaser888
Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 02:56 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 13992

10" SENKO ALL DAY. BLACK AND BLUE!

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 03:42 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8547

I just returned from a trip up north a week ago and top water frogs were killers. I missed a lot of fish (being used to muskie) by simply setting the hook to fast or hard. I had a lot of smashes, but I also had a lot of boils. the boils I brought in the boat were 3lb+ largies and smallies or between 28-33" pike. all smashes I got were small guys (or gals I don't discriminate when they bite)

on this particular lake I fished, bass and pike were ONLY hitting spinners and frogs. believe me I tried sticks, jerks, cranks, spoons, jigs poppers, or swimbaits, nothing worked but the second I threw on a spinner or frogs, all hell broke lose. I could have easily kept my limit of pike and bass every day. I missed a heck of a lot of fish on top waters by not letting them take it. im too used to muskie fishing and just ripping the rod with everything I have and definitely ripped lures out of mouths. the colours to me didn't seem to matter too much, everything from chartreuse, bloodred, pure black, white, green all worked. but it did seem like it had to be spinners or frogs or nothing.

I will say though, fishing for bass, id start off, then cast a bit to far into the shallows further than I wanted to, and wham theres a fish. they were really shallow. the pike seemed to be all over. id catch a 22" on a shoal drop off, then catch a 32" in 3fow. and next cast catch a 16".

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace