Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Handling Lakers and Whites
cdog
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 08:36 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 4071

How do you handle a laker or whitie so it survives?

I'm new to catching these fish and I thought you would use a glove like many videos I see on youtube. I was told and lead to this video not to use a glove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8VETvLLa0o

Thoughts?

PMEmail Poster
zreel
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 09:59 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4448

Thanks that was a very educational video ....

PMEmail Poster
cdog
  Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 11:19 am

Fry

The gentleman that told me about the video says to bare hand them. Less slime that comes off the better.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 12:32 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10908

Catch and release just use WET bare hands. Also if you're practicing catch and release on lakers why handle them at all? Fighting them fast and hard not on light tackle and unhook them in the water quickly.

If you really have to have a picture of a special fish make sure it stays in the water until the last minute for a pic. Not in the bottom of your boat flopping around. Who ever is taking the pic should have the camera ready and in position with the camera on and zoomed in or out before you ever take the fish out of the water.

Nothing worse than watching someone pose with a fish while the camera person goes and gets the camera, takes it out of its bag, fumbles around turning it on, backs up in the boat to get far enough away, figures out the sun is in the wrong position so switches boat ends with the angler holding the fish, finally takes way to many photos, checks the photos first before the fish is released, takes a few more pics.
Dead fish.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Oct 01, 2017 - 10:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Disco @ Sep 29, 2017 - 12:32 pm)
Nothing worse than watching someone pose with a fish while the camera person goes and gets the camera, takes it out of its bag, fumbles around turning it on, backs up in the boat to get far enough away, figures out the sun is in the wrong position so switches boat ends with the angler holding the fish, finally takes way to many photos, checks the photos first before the fish is released, takes a few more pics.
Dead fish.

haha. toooo funny I must say.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
RCRward
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 01:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9845

Great Question,

I have gone back to school and I am in the process of completing a research essay on sport fishing. I came across this report from 2005. This report has a ton of great information that you can take in to account. Took me about 20 minutes to read through.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/catch-and-r...e-fish-handling

Download the PDF

It goes in to great detail about various fish mortality rates and so on.

Tight Lines!

PM
cdog
Posted: Oct 09, 2017 - 07:11 pm

Fry

Wow! thanks for the info... boy do I have to make a lot of changes to catching fish.

Thanks for the awakening. Any further info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace