Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fish finders, Networking
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 03:05 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 2952

Hi. Anyone have 2- off the same units on boat and have them connected together ?
Thinking on putting 2- Helix si gps G2N. Pros. Cons
Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 04:46 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

I have Lowrance HDS 8 & HDS 7 Gen 2 connected by Ethernet via Side Imaging hub. Actually I have my Yami motor connected to the network as well, but that's not a question
The result is the ability to switch transducer from one sonar unit to another or to see sonar picture generated by one sonar on another sonar's screen. You can't view Navionics maps via network though. Both heads sit on the same console, so in the final round the configuration doesn't give any benefits, since 8" is always used as a sonar and 7" as a chart plotter.

The only reason to have networked sonar heads is to have one at the bow and another on the console. Otherwise it's just a gimmick

PMUsers Website
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 04:44 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks. I plan on having one on bow ( trans on trolling motor) one on console (trans on stern)
Still. Red 2- cards I understand.

PMEmail Poster
G-Mech
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 06:07 am

Fry

Member No.: 3253

Miha,

With Lowrance Gen 2 units and up you should be able to share map charts and waypoints between all the ethernet networked units. If you're not able to share these you may not have the latest software as this ability was added in a later update. I had 3 Gen 2 units networked and they all saw the Navionics card no matter which unit it was in.

PMEmail Poster
steelhedrmatt
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:38 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Miha @ Mar 13, 2018 - 06:46 pm)
I have Lowrance HDS 8 & HDS 7 Gen 2 connected by Ethernet via Side Imaging hub. Actually I have my Yami motor connected to the network as well, but that's not a question
The result is the ability to switch transducer from one sonar unit to another or to see sonar picture generated by one sonar on another sonar's screen. You can't view Navionics maps via network though. Both heads sit on the same console, so in the final round the configuration doesn't give any benefits, since 8" is always used as a sonar and 7" as a chart plotter.

The only reason to have networked sonar heads is to have one at the bow and another on the console. Otherwise it's just a gimmick

^^What he said^^ LOL. I have the same set up as Mike....I actually set it up like this complete with Ipilot after fishing on his boat...Pretty slick set up..works great. Waypoints also transfer from unit to unit automatically...
HDS5 at bow using ipilot transducer.
HDS7 at helm using transducer at stern.
All connected VIA Ethernet using side imaging hub.

Lets just say I fished twice in Miha's boat and went out and set mine up the same a week later...

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 06:41 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

QUOTE (G-Mech @ Mar 14, 2018 - 06:07 am)
Miha, 

With Lowrance Gen 2 units and up you should be able to share map charts and waypoints between all the ethernet networked units.  If you're not able to share these you may not have the latest software as this ability was added in a later update.  I had 3 Gen 2 units networked and they all saw the Navionics card no matter which unit it was in.

Thanks, nice to know. I'm sure originally it was somewhere in fine print: "no way because of license, blah, blah, blah". Besides I apparently wasn't clear enough. My 8" is gen 1 and 7" is gen 2. But they might have fixed gen 1 to allow map sharing. I wouldn't hold my breath though Anyway, in my configuration "it ain't broken, don't fix it", and the setup performs to my full satisfaction

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Matt, old pall, we should do it again this year

PMUsers Website
G-Mech
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 06:47 pm

Fry

Member No.: 3253

Without divine intervention, the HDS Gen 1 will never share mapping....

PMEmail Poster
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for info. Anyone hear have the Helix series though

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

A Helix 10 here with side and down imaging G2N chirp.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Posted: Mar 15, 2018 - 06:45 am

Smolt Trout

Longfish. Sent you a pm

PMEmail Poster
steelhedrmatt
Posted: Mar 15, 2018 - 07:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Miha @ Mar 14, 2018 - 08:41 pm)
QUOTE (G-Mech @ Mar 14, 2018 - 06:07 am)
Miha,

With Lowrance Gen 2 units and up you should be able to share map charts and waypoints between all the ethernet networked units. If you're not able to share these you may not have the latest software as this ability was added in a later update. I had 3 Gen 2 units networked and they all saw the Navionics card no matter which unit it was in.

Thanks, nice to know. I'm sure originally it was somewhere in fine print: "no way because of license, blah, blah, blah". Besides I apparently wasn't clear enough. My 8" is gen 1 and 7" is gen 2. But they might have fixed gen 1 to allow map sharing. I wouldn't hold my breath though Anyway, in my configuration "it ain't broken, don't fix it", and the setup performs to my full satisfaction

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Matt, old pall, we should do it again this year

Mike...

For sure...I lost your number...shoot me a message with yours...I've also moved...I live down beside the 10th line beach now...makes for great late ice access...Lets get out!!

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Mar 15, 2018 - 11:51 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

I run a Hellix 10 Mega g2n and a Hellix 7 g2n si gps on a net work system. Simple set up if your connecting the two units. Little more complicated if your running Ipilot Link. Send me a pm if you have any questions. Also check out Doug Vahrenberg channel on YOU TUBE, the guy is a genius when it comes to setting these things up.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace