Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Ľ Fishing Forum
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Atlantic Salmon Stocking Fiasco, Great Lakes Angler Magazine Article
sdcaller
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 - 11:23 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I have subscribed to Great Lakes Angler Magazine for many years and find it an excellent magazine. Good articles, written by knowledgeable people. Lots of tips and guidance on how to fish.

This article was in a recent issue and while it is written by Daryll Choronzey, who can be quite opinionated and controversial at times, I found it very interesting and informative.

I thought others might be interested.

SDC

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 - 11:30 am

World Record Trout

page 2

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 - 11:31 am

World Record Trout

page 3

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Dec 12, 2017 - 11:33 am

World Record Trout

page 4

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 10:15 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Yes Daryll Choronzey can be very opinionated at times. He's been cutting that program at the knees for years now. Unfortunately he may have a piont on this one. It would be interesting to here what other board members, that have followed the program more closely think about it.
Great read, thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 10:52 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the read. Being an avid river angler I have followed the "Bring Back the Salmon" campaign for many years. I generally steer away from controversial topics as I generally just get labelled as one of those guys --- or so you are with that group.. Etc etc.

Simple and sad fact, all fish populations are under stress mainly due to increase of urbanization. There are ~12 million or so people now living in the golden horseshoe, Toronto is the 4th largest city in north america. This puts a strain on the natural environment, no matter how you weigh it.. If, ands or buts.......

Now comes the Atlantic salmon, they need COLD CLEAN NATURAL rivers to successfully spawn, survive and proliferate. We can try to achieve the river systems of the 1800's, we can try to do our best to naturalize the systems, and believe me, lots and lots and lots of money and volunteer hours has been spent so we can enjoy the river fisheries we have today...... But Altantics and speckled trout and a few other more sensitive fish species (red sided dace etc) have a hard time surviving in Lake Ontario rivers. Even the more hardy fish species, steelhead, chinooks, brown trout are having reproduction issues in our rivers.

Don't know what else to say. I give kudos to those that continue to try and keep our fisheries viable.

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 11:19 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

I think one of the keys to the failure of the restocking attempts in Ontario comes down to the point of river temps. I know that when they started the campaign to restock in the late 80s there was a lot of talk of pollution levels clearing and that the rivers and lake were "clean" enough again to support the atlantic populations, but the fact of the matter is that the rivers are now running much shallower and much warmer than they were 100+ years ago and no amount of cleanliness will change that fact.
I would love to see a healthy population of atlantics in our tributaries, but I think the results of the last 30 years point to the need to give up on the program and move that money to stocking efforts that have a better track record.
I am typically not a fan of Mr Choronzey's rhetoric, but I think that this article was well articulated and free of a lot of the sabre rattling that he is known for and does a good job of communicating the issues with the current programs. Thanks for the share SDC.

PMEmail Poster
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 12:16 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 98

I have been against the atlantic program since the start. We cannot even keep a good count of natural steelhead or chinooks. Our rivers cannot support the natural reproduction. we could not hold the skamania program together so why do they think atlantics will be any better

Same people who brought us the moose fiasco.

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 12:45 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 148

Thanks Ralph,

Interesting read. What I found scary was that the ON fish could now be affecting the East Coast Atlantic strain. WTF!

I do agree with Choronzey that this program needs to be stopped. They should invest this cash on the steelhead & Chinook programs as well as support the protection of lakes from invasive species. Being a river fisher, the decline of steelhead and Chinook numbers in the rivers is getting very concerning and then you add the increased pressure due to the population explosion. Now add the lack of resources to properly enforce the laws that were put in place to protect these resources while the offending population is increasing.
Yes, stop wasting tax $ on Atlantics and focus on keeping the resources we have as strong as possible.

Rant over!

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 04:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Well, some of you know my thoughts on his but in case you do not.

This is the dumbest program going and a complete disasater. 30 years and no results

They simply cannot compete or thrive in lake o and the tribs

Time to end it

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
FSHN FRK
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 05:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 952

Hey Shank. You and I have had a few conversations about this on ice fishing days. I agree. Give it up and put the money and resources to better use.
Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 - 09:17 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

You are correct Elrik, river temps especially mid summer are lethal to all trout and salmon smolts. Atlantics are particularly sensitive as well competition by other species another factor.

PMEmail Poster
Richard S
Posted: Dec 14, 2017 - 10:46 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10338

I was heavily involved in the program in the beginning through one of the user groups on the credit, Metalbuckle knows which one im talking about. In the beginning there were returns, we were getting many all over the lower sections using the fishing permits we were given from the MNR to fish out of season for them. They started entering the credit in early July, usually a week or two after Canada day following a heavy rain, then spawning in November, and dropping out in the spring. Having said that there are two huge factors on the Credit that are hampering the success, one are all the barriers, and two is the MNR and the bureaucratic bull$hit that comes along with them. I say that because in the beginning before the MNR got involved the program was working well, then the MNR got involved and it went to $hit. One good thing thats coming out of the program is all the money thats being invested on stream rehab.

Rich.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Dec 14, 2017 - 11:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

It's about as effective as trying to save someone thats's been decapitated with bandaids.

PM
Disco
Posted: Dec 15, 2017 - 05:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

As stated by Rich the off shoot of the program that helps all species is the stream rehab. Without the efforts to make the rivers better for the Atlantic program our rivers would be worse off than they are. I donít agree with continuing the Atlantic program in it current form but if the only way to help our rivers is to consintrate on restoring a native species then that seems to be the only positive.

It seems non native species take a complete back seat for our MNR and if we only have programs for non native species I could see our MNR allowing those species to collapse all together.

As per usual government fishery programs are more about beaurocrats and their needs than the needs of the fishery.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace