Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hunting Notices
Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 06:55 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 1597

https://www.ontario.ca/page/hunting-notices-and-updates

Still can't get over Turkey regs with the no hunter safety course what's the reason not to complete a safety course ?

No hunter safety course .

Number 7 shot can now be used.

Bonus for us bow hunters - one extra month in the fall .

Just putting it out there as a reminder .

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 06:58 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

Been like that since last year.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 07:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

The turkey course is now part of the new hunter safety course.
So you still need to do the course.
Guess they figure the remaining licensed hunters who haven't taking the course is nominal. Mostly if they take up the sport would be under the wing of someone experienced.

Also remember 7 shot mean 7 designed for turkey.
NOT 71/2 bird shot.

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:03 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

What I totally disagree with is;
All of the people who get to slip through the system. If they have a completed the safety course in the last few years but did not take the Turkey course they donít have to now? WTF, to me this puts all the rest of the turkey hunters in the woods at a safety risk. These individuals have not being trained how to set-up and identify a legal bird to shoot or the safety concerns related to turkey hunting.
Itís been so long I canít remember if I had to pay for my turkey course but pretty sure I did. In that case everyone who took and paid separately for the course before the change should be reimbursed their cost or maybe a break on their next license fee.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 12:56 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (nsfisher @ Mar 11, 2018 - 12:03 pm)
What I totally disagree with is;
All of the people who get to slip through the system.

Oh come on the woods are full of those who have slipped through the system.
Dad has never taken a gun safety course or hunter safety course. Back in the day one only needed to purchase your license and ever since was grandfathered in. Quite frankly the only safety course he did was the turkey course.
Sure there was a glitch when they dropped the requirement and included it in the new course but I don't believe the number of those who "have slipped" through is significant.

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 06:52 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5705

I got my turkey license two years ago. It was a joke and obvious cash grab.

Tack on an additional 15 min to hunter safety course sounds good enough for me. I feel bad for others who had to take an 8hour course when the turkey license first came about.

PM
steelheader
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 08:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

I for one took the turkey course back in it's first days , paid my fee and listened to a well presented program , do I think it should be continued ..YES..

Hey , another area on turkeys , back in the day they imported 80 birds to re-introduce birds to Ontario , their word is that there are now 80'000 birds out there ..I think their way off , I see many flocks of 20-100 birds in my limited travels IMO this could become another canada goose issue ..

See the day when turkeys are included on your small game lic with no extra fee and more liberal bag limits ...IMO

Dave

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 06:40 am

World Record Trout

Maybe not more liberal limits but wouldn't mind being able to get your 2 birds the same day and/or your 3 tags good for the entire year.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 09:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (finsfurfeathers @ Mar 12, 2018 - 06:40 am)
Maybe not more liberal limits but wouldn't mind being able to get your 2 birds the same day and/or your 3 tags good for the entire year.

X2

PMEmail Poster
mreid
  Posted: Mar 19, 2018 - 09:52 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10604

Turkey coarse is INCLUDED for new hunters that take the hunter and safety coarse...

This post has been edited by mreid on Mar 19, 2018 - 09:54 am

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 07:16 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

I remember taking the turkey course in the 1988. It was a great day put on by an outfitter from Missouri. Other than magazines and books this was the only other place to get info or even buy calls . There were no calls in hunting shops or Canadian tire. With internet, videos ,you tube and all specialty hunting shops itís a lot easier today. I still think the course is a good idea if itís not been included in your hunters safety.Good luck to all hunters this spring. Hunt safely and respect these great game birds,a reintroduction success story.

PMEmail Poster
smalleye99
Posted: Apr 27, 2018 - 08:12 am

Fry

Member No.: 14006

I know, late to the discussion. I for one got a huge amount of benefit from the turkey course beyond the safety aspect.

I came away from it wondering why moose hunters don't need to do a full day course given their inability to identify the sex and age of the animals, how they treat a large animal after harvest (trailering a whole, hide on moose down the highway for 6 hrs in +12C weather after hanging it for two days). Shooting from roads, on the water, across water, glassing moving things with their scopes.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace