Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice flasher, Marcum lx5 flasher
Oldersimmer
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 02:30 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5561

Was out with my lx5 the other day, turned unit on, lights flashing all over, tried different adjustments, no change. Could not mark my jig. Then all lights disappeared, only high pitch noise left. Went to my local tackle store , explained my issue to fairly knowledgeable staff person. He took a new unit off the shelf, disconnected the head from my unit and connected to new one, same issue. Ruled out bad battery and faulty wiring. He thinks that the motor is likely done. I have had the flasher for 5 years, used approximately 8-10 times per season, took could care of it, never got bounced around or dropped. Any one else have similar issue?

PMEmail Poster
MikeV
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 02:54 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 3623

Yes I very recently had similar problems with my LX3 only my screen didn't go blank it just went haywire. Tried new battery - no difference. Only place that i found in Canada to repair it is in Winnipeg.

Authorized Marcum repair facility.

THE VIDEO RE-FIT SHOP
Attn: Service Department
3220 Portage Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3K 0Y8 CA

http://www.videorefitshop.com/

Packed mine up and sent it Canada post about $15 I week later they called me with a quote of $157 to replace the transformer and the motor on the circuit board, return postage and HST.

This website: http://marcum.custhelp.com/app/answers/det...-repair-process - has all the info you need to know to send it including an online customer service questionaire. Got a response back immediately from Marcum and The Video Shop was also very informative and good to deal with.

I haven't got my unit back as it was Friday that they called with the quote but I expect it back by the end of this week.

If you search online about Marcum problems there is a lot of issues with the LX series. Seems mostly with the motor that drive the flasher. Figured I couldn't replace the unit for what it cost to fix - just hope it lasts longer than it did (maybe 5 years with little use.) I've been thinking about these new CHIRP units by Lowrance and Hummingbird if this repair doesn't stand up.

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 04:51 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11376

I run a Humminbird helix 7 and LX5 flasher as well, the Marcum is a beast when it comes to power and the interference it creates for others, when my brother runs his LX5 and i'm anywhere near him i basically cant see anything on my graph , tried all the noise reduction settings on the huminbird and it doesn't seem to be able to block out the Marcum and my only option is to move really far away, I've fished with a vexilar in the same shack with no issues. Since we perch fish early and late in the season i will keep the LX5 for this reason as two marcum's seem to play nice together but not so much for a Velxilar from our experience.

PMEmail Poster
Oldersimmer
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 05:32 pm

Egg

Was your lx3 still under warranty?

PMEmail Poster
MikeV
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 - 07:49 pm

Alevin

No it wasn't covered by warranty although on their website (US) they state that all repairs are a flat rate of $80 US no matter what the issue is.

I couldn't confirm with the Video Repair Shop if the replacement parts were of better quality than the originals.

PMEmail Poster
Oldersimmer
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 06:23 am

Egg

I have contacted the folks at at Video. Will be sending my unit in today for analysis and cost of repairs. I am not impressed with a costly product that only last five years. I will be paying for the repairs as a replacement would cost over 600.00. It will be the last Marcum brand I will purchase. Thanks for your information.

PMEmail Poster
MikeV
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 07:03 am

Alevin

Your welcome for the info Oldersimmer.

I feel the same way about their product and also will not purchase another Marcum. There's lots of other quality choices out there.

PMEmail Poster
MikeV
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 11:57 am

Alevin

Got my flasher back Friday, right on the time I thought it would be. Better packaged then when I sent it to them.

Included detailed bill listing all parts ( motor, transformer, contacts) and prices - $56 and labour - $65 plus packing and shipping - $18 plus taxes = $157

Excellent service from The Video Re-fit Shop. Did what they said it needed and on time. Now I just hope it stands up better than it did before.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 12:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Oldersimmer @ Feb 13, 2018 - 06:23 am)
I have contacted the folks at at Video. Will be sending my unit in today for analysis and cost of repairs. I am not impressed with a costly product that only last five years. I will be paying for the repairs as a replacement would cost over 600.00. It will be the last Marcum brand I will purchase. Thanks for your information.

I won't say where, not allowed, but there are a lot of people that are not impressed with Marcum products, why people even bother to buy this is beyond me, like others said, there are other brands that work just as well. Always seems there's updates needed, can't get it right in the first place.

PM
trapperdirk
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 12:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4400

I still have and run an Lx-3 from the first year they came out and also an Lx-5 which came out 2 years after . Never an issue but know of a few friends who got them after Marcum the company was sold that have had to replace motors . The only thing I did have was a bad transducer on the Lx-3 which Marcum replaced no questions asked . Also was asked if I wanted the original head turned into a TC for free but I never bothered . Both still ticking on the ice almost daily and had to replace the battery once in over ten years of use .

Seems like the ownership change is a quality change too .

TD

PM
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 02:58 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I use an old LX2 and an LX5 on a regular basis and have experienced zero problems with either unit. The zoom feature is awesome when working the bottom for whitefish.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 04:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Yes but you're talking units as old as you are not the lx7, lx9 and newer ones

PM
Longshank
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 06:50 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Feb 17, 2018 - 04:23 pm)
Yes but you're talking units as old as you are not the lx7, lx9 and newer ones

Really, another wet keyboard

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 - 09:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

Damn it Shank - kicking an old reprobate when he's down and out .

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace