Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pointe au Baril Trip, Tips, Tricks, Maps?
BlackCrowe13
Posted: May 13, 2018 - 09:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Hey all,

Just confirmed my fishing trip for late June to go chase some fish I the Pointe au Baril water way area (Sturgeon Bay), and wanted to ask the board a few questions

Mapping - I see that Navionics and a few of the mapping companies have detailed maps of the area, but none seem to cover Sturgeon Bay. Does anyone know of any maps that show the area around Bonnie Island? Iím happy to explore and chart it with my Humminbird, but knowing the area to be a mine field of rocks, I would like to have some idea of the Bay before booting around it!

Access to the Main Lake - Not knowing the region well enough to fathom a guess myself, does anyone have a rough idea of how long it takes to get to the main waters of Georgian Bay? I am not looking to race out, but just a rough estimate at a casual pace (20-30 mph) would be helpful. I counted the length, but know that length vs length of time in GB waterways can be deceiving.

Tips & Tricks - Certainly not expecting detailed spots to fish, or exact techniques, but if anyone has any tips they are willing to share, it would be great. I will mainly be targeting them musky, walleye, pike, and possibly some main lake slabs like salmon/trout (not my comfort zone) to expand my horizons.

Thanks in advance to those that can share some details. Canít wait to get there!

PMEmail Poster
mmorris
Posted: May 15, 2018 - 10:19 am

Fry

Member No.: 9643

I fish sturgeon bay a couple times every summer. We always get a bunch of hammerhandle pike and smallmouth off the scattered rock humps. Caught one fluke walleye there a few years back. I never venture too far out of the bay so i cant help you there. Definitely be careful around Bonnie, lots of unmarked rocks on the south side. Sturgeon Bay is now mapped on the navionics app (although not accurate enough to rely 100% on), but not the online web app.

I'm heading up there this weekend and I've never fished it this early in the year, I'm hoping there will be some big spawners hangin around. I'll let you know how we do.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: May 15, 2018 - 06:57 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9047

Thanks Morris!

Guess I will do an update on my card to get the latest.

Definitely looking forward to the update, and best of luck on hitting some bigguns.

I was told by a few guys at the Muskies Canada meeting last night that there is a good chance to catch the biggest pike of your life fishing that area... go get em! Looking forward to a pic of that 45Ēr thatís waiting for ya!

Lol

PMEmail Poster
shaunwhitefish
Posted: May 15, 2018 - 08:50 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8979

I fished there last week just after the opener. There were some huge post spawn pike hanging out in a few of the back bays but they werenít very active. Could see them just sitting on the bottom. Water was still very cold. Managed a couple of small pickerel jigging minnows off Rock shoals. Once you get into the channel past sturgeon itís pretty deep so getting to the bay is pretty quick.

I used the navionics app on sturgeon and it seemed fairly accurate. No shortage of rocks.

Itís a beautiful area! Small mouth fishing is great around that area if youíre there for the opener.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace