Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wind lifting flip over hut
Kier
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 06:31 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10851

QUOTE (riplipsdrinkbusch @ Jan 12, 2018 - 06:06 pm)
Get a pop up. All I ever owned and love it. Use it alone all the time in high winds. Once its fastened down secure the pop out sides your good to go. Never had an issue in crazy windy days. Just a bit of a fight to set it up on your own. I have a woods 3 man. Im 510 and can stand right up in it

Have a 6 man popup if I wanted to use it. I like the ability to move around, hence why I bought a flip. End of todays total: 4 hours of fishing, 4 smelts. Pretty bad day fish wise, although I still had fun. Got moved 3 times by the wind while sitting down, about half a foot to a foot each time lol. Will be out again sunday to try, hopefully will go much better

PMEmail Poster
fatboy4me
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 08:47 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2504

Install a couple of reinforced grommets and anchor it down.

PMEmail Poster
papafishr
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 09:15 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 13142

I ALSO HAVE THE RECON,
Most of the time I place my gear (bag etc) on the side bars to help weigh it down .

Ive also bungeed it down into an ice anchor on once or twice

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 10:30 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 939

I have a clam kenai with no door either. It sucks. I tuck my front skirt in and put my fish finder on top of it.

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 11:02 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

Pick up some light tubing and hardware at home depot and make a couple of removable cross pieces just like the bigger two and three man flips.

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 11:30 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3419

For safety would be good idea to mark the hole after leaving someone can get hurt no need for a hole that big be careful and thoughtful for other anglers.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 12:11 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Nuclear @ Jan 13, 2018 - 11:30 am)
For safety would be good idea to mark the hole after leaving someone can get hurt no need for a hole that big be careful and thoughtful for other anglers.

For smelts, its all sight fishing, the bigger hole allows for that much better then a single hole, hence why I do it. Starting to carry sticks to mark em though, as they are big enough to fit a boot if someone steps in it the wrong way.

PMEmail Poster
Outoftowner
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 02:29 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14915

I have a older frabill ultralite. The skirt is hemmed. I put a length of chain
in the hem.( heaviest gauge I could stuff in there.) Works quite well.

PMEmail Poster
Pond
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 03:21 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14727

Get a couple of old skis and put them on the bottom of your hut leaving them protruding out the front where your hut flips over. Drill a hole in each ski to put a couple of those ice screws to keep the hut from blowing around. Put Velcro strips on the skis and on the skirt to stop the wind from getting underneath.
Just a thought....might work.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 - 09:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

Jugs or pails of water make great temporary hold down weights

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 - 12:06 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (Pond @ Jan 13, 2018 - 03:21 pm)
Get a couple of old skis and put them on the bottom of your hut leaving them protruding out the front where your hut flips over. Drill a hole in each ski to put a couple of those ice screws to keep the hut from blowing around. Put Velcro strips on the skis and on the skirt to stop the wind from getting underneath.

Problem solved! That will work great...best 1st post I've seen!

Usually first posts read "can anyone tell me the best lake, the easiest access point (I don't want to walk too far), will it be windy, how much ice is there, what depth do I fish, what lures should I use, etc.

Good on ya Pond!

PMEmail Poster
GilsFinsTail
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 - 01:19 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12907

I had a Clam one man that did this...my solution was to rest a foot on the lower bar...then I sold it after the season was over...got a pop up now...but it also has its disadvantages...not portable shelter is perfect for every situation.

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 - 08:27 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 374

That's why I like my OLD CLAM 5600 portable ( still in good shape) it's got a very strong and heavy fold able plastic base ( suitcase). I slightly modified it and with my body weight and big BBQ tank and all the fishing gear......NO WIND is moving it.

I was fishing in 45Km/hr wind and it did not move! If the wind is stronger than that....I don't go fishing anyway!

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 - 06:40 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Pond @ Jan 13, 2018 - 03:21 pm)

Great idea, but it wouldn't fit in my car as such, it barely fits. Some good ideas, I like the bucket idea.... easy to do

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace