Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gannons Narrows towards Pigeon
dmorrs35
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 01:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Hey guys,

I don't ice fish in the kawarthas too often. usually chemong once or twice until simcoe freezes and can get out there for perch then try my hand at lakers and whities.

I know Gannons Narrows is a current area and was wondering if anyone fishes there through the ice. I will probably make the trip on Saturday regardless but just wondering if anyone has ice fished there this winter so far. im hoping to try my luck near the mouth of the narrows towards pigeon. I have my spud and will be drilling holes walking out. but just curious if it is worth trying out this weekend? Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated! I do not have any hope for the area towards the causeway.

PMEmail Poster
N4X1Z0
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 01:57 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12473

we fished lower Chemong south of the causeway and the ice was 5-6 inches in the thickest areas but Gannons has a lot of current so I'd be very careful. Rice has good ice out of Bewdley and where we were on Chemong was OK. (fishing was so, so)

PMEmail Poster
baitcaster34
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 02:41 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11136

I thought the same last year but I checked the regs and under exceptions - Gannon narrows closed Jan 1 to 2nd Saturday of may, fish sanctuary.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
zuperalexu
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 03:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7874

QUOTE (baitcaster34 @ Dec 28, 2017 - 02:41 pm)
I thought the same last year but I checked the regs and under exceptions - Gannon narrows closed Jan 1 to 2nd Saturday of may, fish sanctuary.

They way I read it - the fish sanctuary is just 100 meters on each side of the causeway...

But then again the walleye is closed for ice fishing in the Kawarthas and the pan fish is rather small size so not sure what you can catch at the narrows...

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 04:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

I agree with zuperalexu. I believe that is just 100m of the causeway. this is a visualization of how I interpret the exception.

I have caught rather large gills in the narrows previously (not through the ice). Ive never really targeted walleye in the kawarthas, and that season is closed anyway.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
hooknup
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 - 06:50 pm

Fry

Member No.: 10942

I agree with the above interpretations but thats just me

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace