Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Auger Blades
DuckFever
Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 01:04 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5321

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here sharpens their own ice auger blades? I use an 8'' Swede-Bore auger and i noticed the blades are getting a little dull. Should i attempt to sharpen it? If not, who sells replacement blades? Does anyone know someone in the peterborough area that sharpens augers?

Thanks!

PM
Fishin fan
Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 02:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

I sharpen my Swede bore blades with the same stone as I use on knives. Just go slow and donít change the bottom of the blade. Not as good as new but close enough. Dave

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 04:10 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10778

swede bore blades are flat or straight, if I am not mistaking. You can sharpen them and as Fishin fan said, go slow, use a stone (not a file!), never touch the outside of the blade only stone the bevel. However........until you become an expert at sharpening it is best to purchase a spare set of brand new blades and keep them in your tackle box along with the tool(s) required to change them. I made the mistake of sharpening my auger blades (fin bore) and not even thinking of having a backup set. Went fishing and couldnít even make a dent in the ice. My sharpening job was crap! Luckily a fellow hard water enthusiast lend me his auger and my day was not totally ruined. Lesson learned though!

Good luck and keep practicing that sharpening, it isnít hard just takes a few tries.

PMEmail Poster
Iceman_80
Posted: Dec 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 14951

I had the same issue on Friday, same auger, same problem ! I can't figure out why it wasn't going in almost as if the blades were dull but I have only used it three times in total . Anyone have suggestions?

PMEmail Poster
riplipsdrinkbusch
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 01:03 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12688

Ice build up on the blades maybe

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 01:07 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Don't lend it, and always use the blade cover...treat it like the blades are made of porcelain. It's amazing how badly the tiniest nick on your cutting edge can affect cutting performance.

PMEmail Poster
pfeiff
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 01:20 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8179

Chances are u banged the auger while breaking through the ice to clear that last bit. Or banged the auger on ice trying to knock the snow off. Some of the auger blades come with wedges the angle of the blades has to be just right in order to cut nicely. Check and adjust.

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 07:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7520

Here's a sharpening hack: use a permanent marker to colour the bevel then begin to sharpen the edge removing just enough material to remove the marker. This will allow you to see what you have removed and what still needs to be done.

PMEmail Poster
Fish Farmer
  Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 08:14 am

Egg

Member No.: 176

Most likely it's not your blades that were toast, it's your auger frame that the blades go on.
The frame has bent over time using it. As time goes on you have put pressure drilling and bent the angle, reaming the hole after drilling, and lending it.
You have nothing to lose, stick the frame part in a vise and bend the frame part back slightly, I did it to mine and it worked better, but not like new.
It's only the centre touching the ice, not the whole blade.
I eventually spent the money and bought the 3, much better auger, only thing I don't like, is the off set cranking handles.

Attached Image

Attached Image Auger not touching the ice

This post has been edited by Fish Farmer on Dec 31, 2017 - 11:22 am

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 01:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Fishin fan @ Dec 27, 2017 - 03:16 pm)
I sharpen my Swede bore blades with the same stone as I use on knives. Just go slow and donít change the bottom of the blade. Not as good as new but close enough. Dave

I did the same with similar results.

I also bought a set of new blades for about $20 directly from Normark in Oshawa. The lady was quite helpful---they are sold as 'unpackaged'(no bubble wrap etc) but had screws as well. I can't recall seeing any shims though. I assume that Normark gets them in bulk and has the pkging done here in Canada.

PMEmail Poster
DuckFever
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 - 03:11 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5321

is there a walk in store front in oshawa?

PM
Fisherman
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

I found instructions on another site, fortunately one of the guys reposted the pictures. If anyone wants the info I can PM the link, not allowed to post it here.

PM
Lanternman75
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 12:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11376

i sharpen all my knives and even auger blades using a fixed angle sharpening system, exactly as said above you mark the edge with black marker and lock the angel of the sharpening stones once you find the correct factory angle and draw the stones back and forth and side to side at this fixed angel, to finish when i'm doing and curved portion of the knife i draw the finishing stone (1500 grit) side to side and across the curve. Takes some time to get good at it but i'm pretty good at it now and man are they sharp.

I actually found out about this system from Youtube channel called wranglestar when i wanted to learn how to sharpen my axes, buy a good one with metal poles as they flex less; i paid around 150$ for the one i currently use; pricey but i like quality and most of all honing my skills but i started with a cheaper one off Amazon

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace