Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Herring surface feeding, By the tens of thousands
Simcoe Said
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 - 07:00 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11638

Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture this phenomenon with camera, I did get a screen shot of my sonnar
I would say that their were surfacing herring for a good square kilometer.
They were anywhere in size from 4"to12".
I would watch them shoot up towards the top ,pick off minnows and shoot down just as quickly.
Have not witnessed any thing this cool in my life, other then on a nature documentary.
I m am glad to see that these fish have made such an amazing come back.

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 - 07:01 pm

Smolt Trout

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 - 07:07 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11276

Pretty cool stuff!!🙂

PMEmail Poster
Ricktar
Posted: Sep 22, 2017 - 07:48 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4783

Wow cool

PMEmail Poster
casacrow
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 11:07 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9897

Very cool. We got a vid of it a couple years ago at the mouth of Cooks. We figured at least a couple kms2.

Dang vid is stuck in a dead phone.

The sound was pretty neat eh?

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 01:05 pm

Smolt Trout

F-it I am getting a go pro .it is a good thing to have in situations like that.

PMEmail Poster
Cichlid
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 08:08 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10258

Pretty Cool. I experienced a similar sight this year on Lake Muskoka but it was smallmouth bass that were surface feeding. There must have been hundreds of them or more. It was early in the morning on a mid lake shoal, water was very calm. everywhere you looked there were bass breaking the surface. My partner saw schools of minnows so I assume they were feeding on minnows. It was mid august. They were very difficult to catch, although some did bite on surface baits, none on spinners or cranks. The same action occurred in that spot in the following weeks when I went back but not nearly as much as that first time. I wish I has filmed it.

PMEmail Poster
zreel
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 12:13 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4448

I have only seen something like this once at my out-laws cottage up in Muskoka , but it was Rainbows coming to the surface at first light in the morning , hundreds of Rainbows , we did catch a few and when we cleaned them for dinner the fish were full of very small black bugs .... But caught them on flatfish lure ...

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 10:21 pm

Smolt Trout

It's always awesome to see massive schools of fish stacked up like that,and it's also nice to here about species of fish flourishing rather then the opposite

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 - 08:44 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (zreel @ Sep 26, 2017 - 12:13 pm)
.....when we cleaned them for dinner the fish were full of very small black bugs ...

We've found the same in the spring fishing Algonquin lakers, when a certain spot gives up fish after fish after fish, they're packed full of those black bugs....almost tiny worms - maybe a half inch long...I think they're called chronomids (fly fishing guys would know). the bellies are packed, I mean packed full, looks like a charcoal briquette.

The fish are there taking advantage of a massive hatch. you can see the tiny worm-like casings littered on the surface all around the canoe, from which flies emerge and take off. Keeping an eye on the waters surface for these things can give away a hot spot to hook up with a pile of trout in a short period of time.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 - 02:26 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Simcoe Said @ Sep 25, 2017 - 03:05 pm)
F-it I am getting a go pro .it is a good thing to have in situations like that.

Bought one a few years ago and use it quite a bit, mostly use it on ATV rides but have taken it on fishing trips as well. Did a fly in trip in northern Quebec a few years ago and was glad I had it for this particular trip, great memories.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 - 03:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Drew @ Sep 27, 2017 - 09:44 am)
QUOTE (zreel @ Sep 26, 2017 - 12:13 pm)
.....when we cleaned them for dinner the fish were full of very small black bugs ...

We've found the same in the spring fishing Algonquin lakers, when a certain spot gives up fish after fish after fish, they're packed full of those black bugs....almost tiny worms - maybe a half inch long...I think they're called chronomids (fly fishing guys would know). the bellies are packed, I mean packed full, looks like a charcoal briquette.

The fish are there taking advantage of a massive hatch. you can see the tiny worm-like casings littered on the surface all around the canoe, from which flies emerge and take off.

I think they are Mayflies. In my experience, when specks are glutting on those it's impossible to catch them on anything but a fly. Were you fly fishing at the time?

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 - 06:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Sep 27, 2017 - 03:44 pm)
....Were you fly fishing at the time?

No...either trolling spoons through the feed-session, or casting a tiny (1/32oz.) jig with part of a minnow, let sink to bottom and slowly dragging it along bottom toward canoe

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 - 06:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Thx, Drew. Now I am quite curious!! Could you ask you buddy what kind of flies they were??

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace