Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> gettin close now!, less than 3 weeks away
westarm
Posted: Apr 30, 2017 - 09:54 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

so does everyone have their plan of attack for the opener? fishing the esox lucius? trollin or jiggin for eyes? looking for the elusive lunge? or just hittin the panfish with the kids? I didn't mention bustin rocks for bronzebacks or lightin up the largies cause they aint open, lol.

anyway I think I will just kinda take it all in and enjoy the moment hitting all my favourite gator spots looking for a BEAST!! if I am lucky I will be able to convince my daughter to drown a worm or 2, sometimes its hit and miss with her. always lots to do that weekend but everyone must have some time set aside for opening day.

remember all its illegal to wet a line before opening day, I see it every year and if I mention it I usually get a funny look and ignored, however its great BIG fines and trouble if your caught doing it.

cheers and good luck all!! don't forget to post your pics!

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: May 01, 2017 - 10:23 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4676

Good luck to you and your family as well Westarm...I to am looking forward to the soft water season getting fully underway.
Let us, at the east end of the lake, know how conditions are progressing down there throughout the summer. I'm especially interested in how weed growth and development on the WA looks early in the season.
This should be a bell weather year for our lady Nip as the true benefits of the current walleye management plan....that's been in place since 2014....should start becoming clearly evident.
Nipissing's existing walleye growth model predicts that we 'should' start seeing a larger percentage of fish exceeding the slot threshold every year going forward now. Those results will go a long way to determining if the walleye population is achieving proper age distribution and reproductive balance, leading to continued future sustainability of the fishery (through the current 10 year lake management plan).
The executive group of the LNSA seemed to confirm early evidence, during the Wasi falls egg collection this spring, that the walleye management plan was in fact yielding the results everyone was hoping it would....at this stage in the process.
The next step is to see if the voluntary sports fishing creel survey results (obtained by the MNRF throughout this coming summer)...continue to show the same trend.
The MNRF is the only organization with the necessary resources to collect and interpret accurate angling data....so remember, when they stop you and survey your catch results, it's a very important part of the recovery process that's under way. Exaggerated (not that I'm implying there's a lot of that going on out there, because fishermen seldom exaggerate, lol), incomplete or inaccurate information on catch numbers and sizes doesn't help the data interpretation part of the recovery process. Please provide as truthful and accurate catch results as possible.....in doing so every angler is contributing, in a small way, to the success of the lake's walleye recovery.
Best wishes to everyone on the lake and all those that visit throughout the summer. Please be courteous of other anglers and have a safe and productive 2017 soft water season.

And...I'd like to challenge everyone posting on the board this year to provide a bit of angling information...with each post or photo...regarding the technics, approaches or tactics they are finding successful. Just stating how many fish we've caught or just providing a photo is nice...but it doesn't advance our collective angling knowledge. I think it's imperative we all share what's successful...as there's a lot of good information out there that would be beneficial to those that visit our lake and even those of us that fish the lake regularly. It's all about enhancing everyone's angling experience.
I'm a firm believer that old dogs 'can' learn new tricks....and no one should 'just' operate within their personal comfort zones.
Best wishes everyone....I'm eagerly waiting to see the board fill up with 'informative' summer posts.

PM
westarm
Posted: May 01, 2017 - 11:27 am

Adult Trout

thank you grumpa and right back at you. I will keep you informed on the development of the weedbeds, many times we make jokes about that exact point saying nip is haunted, one year huge weedbed in one place and the next year nothing really to speak of in the same place. it is funny how you mentioned that because many of my favourite spots are either dogs or great producers depending solely on how and where the weedbeds grow. every year is different and brings about a new process.

I am on board with the last part of your post however many of us have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours out there trying different things many times with no results, we cant give away too many secret technics!! lol

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: May 02, 2017 - 03:18 pm

Adult Trout

down to 19 days and counting, even the fish are getting pumped up now!! I am sure they are dying to crush my bucktail and destroy my crankbait!

the softwater season is a mere 2 and a half weeks away! what a beautiful thing!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: May 02, 2017 - 04:32 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7133

Getting anxious - will be up at Panorama from Friday to probably Tuesday or Wednesday. Will be alone so just about everything will be catch and release.

On the water all day - sitting around a camp fire with a cold beer every night

Life is great

Good luck to everyone - be safe out there

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: May 04, 2017 - 03:36 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Antique Fisherman @ May 02, 2017 - 05:32 pm)
Getting anxious - will be up at Panorama from Friday to probably Tuesday or Wednesday. Will be alone so just about everything will be catch and release.

Life is great

antique, you made that sound even better, on the water all day, beer and campfire at night, enjoying all the greatness of lady nip! life is great, as my cousin would say {actually yell} everytime I bring him with me and he gets a little heavy into the sauce "if I had a million bucks, i'd be doing exactly what i'm doin right now"

cheers! barely over 2 weeks now until opening day folks!!!

PMEmail Poster
grandtouring
Posted: May 05, 2017 - 09:42 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12585

Can't come quick enough anxious to try out the new Motor Guide xi5 coupled with the lowrance hds 7 gen 3 may have to go to school to learn the ins and outs lol.

PMEmail Poster
JayRay
Posted: May 05, 2017 - 12:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 1488

QUOTE (westarm @ May 04, 2017 - 03:36 pm)

Life is great

antique, you made that sound even better, on the water all day, beer and campfire at night, enjoying all the greatness of lady nip! life is great, as my cousin would say {actually yell} everytime I bring him with me and he gets a little heavy into the sauce "if I had a million bucks, i'd be doing exactly what i'm doin right now"

"if I had a million bucks, i'd be doing exactly what i'm doin right now"

I love it...

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: May 05, 2017 - 03:16 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (JayRay @ May 05, 2017 - 01:10 pm)
QUOTE (westarm @ May 04, 2017 - 03:36 pm)

Life is great

"if I had a million bucks, i'd be doing exactly what i'm doin right now"

I love it...

JayRay, if you are cruising around the west arm during june 22-27 and you listen closely you just may hear him {he is not quiet} lol.

its like listening to a different kind of loon, and it comes out of his mouth at least 1-3 times a day! cheers!

btw only 2 weeks and a few hours away now until open!!

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: May 05, 2017 - 08:59 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (westarm @ May 05, 2017 - 03:16 pm)

Way to go westarm
You have to be the biggest opening day cheerleader on the board.
Enthusiasm like that....usually produces great results.
You're getting me tuned up that's for sure. Keep it going. With a positive mental outlook like that...I see a big opening weekend in your future.

PM
westarm
Posted: May 05, 2017 - 11:59 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Grumpa @ May 05, 2017 - 09:59 pm)
QUOTE (westarm @ May 05, 2017 - 03:16 pm)

Way to go westarm
You have to be the biggest opening day cheerleader on the board.
Enthusiasm like that....usually produces great results.
You're getting me tuned up that's for sure. Keep it going. With a positive mental outlook like that...I see a big opening weekend in your future.

thanks grumpa, I hope your right!!

the woods and water of nip get me pretty pumped up, no place I would rather be, from early morning coffee staring out at the water to the last embers of the fire and everything in between great fun and great company with new memories every year, my favourite time of year.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: May 06, 2017 - 12:04 am

Adult Trout

bring on the gators!!!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: May 06, 2017 - 09:01 am

Adult Trout

Westarm - Nice picture making some spinner Baits and buzz Baits this weekend - hoping to get a few nice pike.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: May 06, 2017 - 11:00 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Antique Fisherman @ May 06, 2017 - 10:01 am)
Westarm - Nice picture making some spinner Baits and buzz Baits this weekend - hoping to get a few nice pike.

I have been doing that for awhile now as well antique, I found that rather than trying to hunt around to find what you are looking for it is easier and cheaper to make them yourself.

I bought a PILE of forms a few years ago from luremaking.com and just put a couple together as I need them, i will have to take some pics but i can get the color, type of skirt {plastic or bucktail} size, weight, trailer or none without shopping anywhere. good luck finding exactly what u want on a shelf somewhere right? and at a fraction of the price if u are willing to put some time in.

the stuff u posted looks great. i have no doubt you will have some luck there, i like making my own bucktail spinners as well.

at luremaking i can no longer find the premade spinnerbait forms, the ones i have the head is already cast on the form with the hook, i also noticed they are discontinuing the large weighted spinner bodies i use as well which is a bummer, i guess not enough demand.

fun to catch fish on them after you make them as well as they aren't in everyones tackle box.

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: May 06, 2017 - 04:36 pm

Adult Trout

western - try this site - it's in the US so exchange is a killer but has everything you need - plus more - http://www.lurepartsonline.com/

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace