Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Algonquin Brookies, June 16
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:10 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

Left home around 4AM, met my cousin, and headed to Algonquin for a day trip (we considered camping but it was too last-minute to get everything organized). Quite an ambitious destination I chose for just a day trip, and with specks, you never know what mood they may be in, so basically we canoed and portaged a crap load just to find out if they were "on". Unloaded the canoe around 5:30AM, and started our trip in. Saw a nice bull moose in a misty marsh on the way in, velvety rack on him. Arrived at our destination lake and started fishing at 7:30.
I took my cousin in there once before, and we got skunked, so he was still a little doubtful about how good it could be. Thankfully, in less than 10 minutes, he got the first of the day....then another, and another fairly quickly. I was happy to see our trip starting to pay off, and then started wondering if I was gonna get any myself, or just be the 'guide' all day!

Soon after, I started getting some, and it was game on! Dark and cloudy, looking like it could downpour at any time, but the specks seemed ok with that. It wasn't until the clouds cleared out, that things started slowing down some. We released a lot of small trout, and kept the ones around 13-16 inches
(1 to 1.5 lbs approx.). By 10:30 we went to shore to clean 7 keepers. Went back out after that, caught a bunch more, and missed tons more. You'd grab your rod when they hit, set the hook, start reeling, and they'd be gone!! I can't believe how many got off or hit, that we couldn't hook. I think they were just swiping at our spoons and being a bit timid...I actually hooked a small one in the butt again...just shows that many times the 'tap-tap' on the rod tip is just fish swiping at it with their bodies, not necessarily striking with their mouth.

As a bonus, I hooked a beauty when we stopped to jig near a rocky point, where we'd seen a bunch of small specks chasing our spoons in 15 f.o.w. Thought I had a really nice brookie on, until we saw it...holy crap!...nice 5lb. Laker. That was good for a couple quick pics, and released.

So, after keeping our limit of 5 each, and releasing many others, not counting the ones that got off beside the canoe, we ended the day catching 19 specks each. Not a lot for size, but they made up for it in quantity.

Now that we'd trucked in there, and been rewarded, we still had one thing to do...get back out of the bush!...we left the lake at 6:00pm, and suffered through trails with mosquitoes thick as ever, deerflies
constantly circling and biting, and miles to go. Canoeing was fine, but in the bush...OH My Sweet Fu$*!

After loading the canoe and gear, climbing into the truck, which had about 50 mosquitos inside, was like a relief. Pretty much felt like PigPen from Peanuts, constantly swarmed!

Here's the old 'catch em in the butt' trick!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:11 am

Trophy Trout

General size of the keepers

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:12 am

Trophy Trout

Avg. speckie

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:14 am

Trophy Trout

First 7 keepers

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:15 am

Trophy Trout

Cleaning time and then put on ice

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:17 am

Trophy Trout

26" laker (guessing 5 lb)

Took my fish-finder in - maximum depth of 50ft. in one small area. Very small lake, so that's a big fish outta there. Released this one, as there can't be a 'thriving' laker population.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
deepjigger
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:28 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2904

WOW!!! What an awesome day catching your limit and then some. I guess the mosquitoe bites make it worth the trip in. I have only dreamt or hoped of catching a limit of brookies lol.

I like the paddle with the park on it... for a moment I thought the brookie or its fins might be pointing towards its home lol.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:30 am

Trophy Trout

A buggy trip out - I don't know how the moose can take that every day...I'm guessing they'd support 'assisted suicide'

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 11:34 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (deepjigger @ Jun 17, 2018 - 11:28 am)
WOW!!! What an awesome day catching your limit and then some. I guess the mosquitoe bites make it worth the trip in. I have only dreamt or hoped of catching a limit of brookies lol.

I like the paddle with the park on it... for a moment I thought the brookie or its fins might be pointing towards its home lol.

..haha that would be a clever trick! I made the paddle in high school and painted it several years ago... also painted a ruler on the other side before varnishing.

PMEmail Poster
shagdrrotten6969
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 12:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 153

Very nicely done, great pics !

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 12:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

Way to stick it out and get rewarded for it. Awesome day and report!

PMEmail Poster
FishingChef
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 02:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15394

Good job on the brookies!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 03:55 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

I like the paddle. Great looking bunch of specks and nice to see portaging pay off. You make such a good point about them being on or off the bite. I often wonder how many of the lakes I fished once and got skunked and never returned are good lakes!Were the fish deep or at flatlining depth?

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 04:15 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Fantastic report! Beautiful specks..

Well done

As for the trek during a day trip. Insane! I would have died in that bug swarm..

Wow nice work...

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Jun 17, 2018 - 04:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Sounds like a great trip!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace