Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Permanent ice hut
youngbuck88
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 06:17 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7871

Hi all

building an ice hut with my buddies to bring up to nippising this year and was just curious how much do some of your huts weigh we built the base/floor out of 2x4 and plywood and put the skis on today and it already seems pretty heavy lol itís an 8x8 hut

PMEmail Poster
GrizzlyAdams
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 06:36 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13423

Hey Youngbuck88, My hut is a similar design. we built the "joists" out of 2x8's and sheeted it with 2 3/4" ply. The ski's are made out of old rough cut lumber with plastic on the bottom to help it slide. The walls are reclaimed from an old tin shack that we reinforced (especially in the corners) so it was light, but also steady enough to handle moving it/ the wind. I'd say it weights roughly 250 lbs give or take. It aint light, I've had to push it out the years we couldn't find a sled to pull it out...lol. Hope thats some help! good luck!!

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 06:38 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

My 6'X8' weighed in at 465 pounds.
When I made it, weight was critical so I tried to make it as light as practical. I looked at many other designs and combined a number of different ideas when I designed my own.

PMEmail Poster
bobby_sardells
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 06:56 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12539

Lets see some pics!

PMEmail Poster
youngbuck88
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 01:30 am

Parr Trout

I think the hut is going to be up around 500 make we are framing it with 2x2s and the sheathing the outside plus 2 sets of bunk beds on either side

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 05:43 am

Adult Trout

With all due respect, I highly doubt that you will hit that number. Everyone always seems to underestimate the weight. Given that you are using 2X4's for the base, plywood for the sheathing, and a square footage that is 1/3 greater, it won't be possible.
My shack uses 2X2 for the floor with 3/8" plywood. The walls are made of 1X2 with 1/8" paneling that is then covered by fabrene to make it waterproof.
You can calculate the weight of the finished shack quite accurately from your materials list. Spruce weighs about 30 pounds per cubic foot and spruce plywood is approximately 32 pounds per cubic foot. There might be some variance due to moisture content but those are good averages.

PMEmail Poster
youngbuck88
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 10:46 am

Parr Trout

How high does yours sit off the ice ? We built our skis out of 2 2x6s on either side and dropped the base on top ... hoping the 6 inches will be enough clearance

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Not sure if your floor will start to sag in the middle over time.
Perhaps a small support/home made ski at the back and front in the middle under the hut to eliminate any sagging..obviously it doesn't need to stick out in the front or back...
Two pieces , one in front of your hole and one in the back of your hole..
Maybe there is something there and we just don't see it..
Keep the pics coming and good luck on the build..
Cheers FM / Dave B..

PMEmail Poster
youngbuck88
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 12:12 pm

Parr Trout

Ya we are adding supports today ... hope to have the walls framed by next weekend we want to be on the ice by second weekend of January .. only hard part about this all is finding a trailer wide enough to fit the hut because we are coming from hamilton

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 12:15 pm

Adult Trout

Looks good.
I went with 2X6 runners also, except that I used two planks per runner because I have 3" downhill skis on the base so it was best/easiest to go with a thicker runner. That is the only part of the shack where I could have saved on some weight.
Also my runners are not on the outside, they are in about 8 or 9" from the end. This helps in two ways, it means that both walls on the long end are now cantilevered. Meaning that the walls are teetter-tottering on the floor. This has the effect that the centre of the floor is now being pushed upwards by the walls, which in turn nullifies some of the sagging that would occur from the weight of the people in the shack.
It also makes the span between the two runners less, and that is how I get away with using 2X2 floor joists.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 12:28 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (youngbuck88 @ Dec 10, 2017 - 12:12 pm)
Ya we are adding supports today ... hope to have the walls framed by next weekend we want to be on the ice by second weekend of January .. only hard part about this all is finding a trailer wide enough to fit the hut because we are coming from hamilton

Check out the trailers for rent at home depot... IMO not a bad price to rent for a day and they have all sizes to choose from. Maybe they will have one that would work for you..
I'm in Burlington, so give me a heads up when you're going by so I can stay the hell away... Lol..
Good luck...

PMEmail Poster
youngbuck88
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 12:49 pm

Parr Trout

Called Home Depot last week they donít have trailers wide enough ... called the hitchman in Grimsby he said heís got a double wide snowmobile trailer that people have used to get huts around ... if that doesnít work going to have to rent a uhaul truck and bring it up in pieces lol

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Dec 10, 2017 - 01:02 pm

Adult Trout

If you want, you can still move the runners inward if it helps with trailoring. One thing to consider is that if the runners do get iced in, it will be harder to chip them out the further inward they are located. Adding the two short centre runners will make them impossible to chip out, so make sure they are secured to the floor using screws that you can access from the inside. That way if worse comes to worse, you only have to unscrew those runners to get out of a jamb. And on that point, it is best to use screws when you are assembling all of the individual panels, there is less of a chance that the wind will pull the shack apart.
I decided to do a quick estimate on the weight so far. I didn't bother calculating the centre cutout, and it looks like you have 4 2X6 runners, which is equivalent to about 60 feet of 2X4's, there might be about another 72' of 2X4's in the floor, giving a total of 132 feet. A 2X4 is about one pound per foot so you have 132 pounds. The plywood looks to be 3/4" which works out to .0625', the base is 64 square feet, multiplied by .0625' gives you 4 cubic feet of plywood, at 32 pounds per, so 128 pounds. Add that to the weight of the 2X4's and you have 260 pounds so far.

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Dec 20, 2017 - 04:32 am

Fry

Member No.: 14832

Great thread. I am starting my plan to build one as well.
Havenít decided on size yet.
Has to either fit in a 6x10 trailer or on a double wide
Snowmobile trailer.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Dec 20, 2017 - 08:17 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12683

Too light like mine and they blow over

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace