» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Perch vs Pickeral
PickeralStrangler
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 12:13 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5512

Hello fellow anglers.
I love this site, lots of info and u can just sit back read something so random and it makes you smile or laugh. And most of all, most stories us outdoors people read we can all relate. Or it sparks a memory we haven't thought about in a while.

Anyways, just to throw it out there.
Is fishing for perch just a guy who cant catch a nice juicy pickerel? My friend JUMBOSLAYER loves the perch.
I always tell him, perch are for guys that cant catch PICKERAL.

The perch are always around and you can snag um, hook um or catch a whole bunch of 6 inchers in no time.
I would rather catch one perfect eating walleye then 25-50 perch!!

What does everyone here think??

Just some food for thought and discussion

Tight lines my fishing board friends.

I sit here in BC counting down the days for my annual Ontario home ice fishing trip !!!

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2018 everyone

KEEP ON FISHING !!!!

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 02:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

well, not into 6 inch perch but love the plus 11s and keeps you busy during time when the walleye are inactive

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
marketman
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 02:38 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10139

QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 19, 2017 - 02:02 am)
    well, not into 6 inch perch but love the plus 11s  and keeps you busy during time when the walleye are inactive 

x2

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 05:01 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

Perch are a bit of a pain to clean but they are tasty.

PMEmail Poster
dickie
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 07:15 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 124

You cannot have a better fry than fresh perch. Walleye is good, but perch is better.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 07:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Why anyone would want to eat those boney pickerel is beyond me. Now Walleye on the other hand is just fine. Some people wouldn't know a pickerel from a mackerel, just like they don't know if they have a Ford or GM.

PM
kenster
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 08:10 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

Since keeping Walleye is now a rare event a nice catch of perch does just fine.In fact I have fished exclusively for perch for many years.Two and three years back were the best ever.
An electric knife makes it rather easy to filet a feed quickly.Walleye are a tad sweeter when cooked plain but Perch are a close cousin.

PMEmail Poster
jeff22
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 08:21 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5589

My fav is walleye, i find most perch north are wormy...remind me are nips perch really worrmy?

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 08:38 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

Rarely on main lake, Callander bay and Nosbonsing get worming

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 08:42 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Walleye over perch any day....
I think the name "WALLEYESTRANGLER" is still available.. lol
good luck...
cheers FM /Dave

PMEmail Poster
FishinGuy
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 09:37 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3087

QUOTE (marketman @ Dec 19, 2017 - 02:38 am)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Dec 19, 2017 - 02:02 am)
     well, not into 6 inch perch but love the plus 11s  and keeps you busy during time when the walleye are inactive 

x2

x3

PMEmail Poster
canadadude
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 09:52 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3164

I like fishing both, it's sweet to get on a school of 9"-12" jumbo perch and I find there is quite a bit of technique involved in catching these fish. Ultra light rods, 2lb-3lb test line a 1/16oz -1/32 oz jigs all make perching fun. As for cleaning up a bunch of jumbo's well the reward is well worth the work involved come super time, and Nippissing Perch are some of sweetest best tasting perch in Ontario.

As for Walleye, they are a also great fun to target, my problem with Nip is I go nuts dropping 16"-17" eaters down the hole and not getting at least 1 for a meal. That's supper frustrating, but it is what it is. I still love fishing Walleye but if I lived closer I would truly like to figure out a good jumbo pattern on the lake,and would have just as much fun targeting perch as I would Walleye.

PMEmail Poster
Tombo
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 12:13 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13130

Well depending on where you fish, sometimes walleye are easier to catch! Ive fished perch in 60ft of water with people that had to bait up 5 times before catching a perch, but trolling for walleye in same area hook lots of fish! This yr for example, the walleye in eastern erie were like freakin piranhas! 1 day I reeled in 11 in 2 1/2 hrs by myself! I would rather have eater size northern walleye any day. Less cleaning!

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 01:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

All the Nipissing perch I catch are worm free save the odd man out. I used to think perch were a pain in the a## to clean but that was when I was catching small guys all the time down south. Since I moved to North Bay I have caught some of the biggest perch that I have seen in my entire life of fishing. And numbers too! Crazy. So many jumbos out there. You gotta love when a massive school comes by and you have to put down one rod because you they are pounding the baits so hard you cant use two lines at once. Nipissing has really gotten me smitten with the perch.

I find that my perch spots are also walleye spots but at different times of the day. Perch it's all day and Walleyes in the AM, sunset, or after dark. I do enjoy a good walleye bite but it has become rare for me to catch one I can keep. When I do, though, I'm pretty stoked to eat some nice big fillets. I find perch and walleye to be pretty equally delicious when prepared in the right way.

PMEmail Poster
Jumboslayer
Posted: Dec 19, 2017 - 02:18 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7417

Good old Pickeralstrangler is at it again I see lol let me tell you boys he sure doesn’t mind eating them Perch slabs after I clean them 👍 lol Perch vs Pickeral is no different than a blonde vs brunette....what ever one nibbles first and keeps coming back for more keeps me happy lol 😝

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace