Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fish species
Quigles716
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 10:17 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14796

What type of fish can be caught in the lake? Has anyone ever heard of a surpris lake trout or salmon? Weíre going up Jan 18th for four days with icebungalows . Canít wait to crack some cold ones with the boys next to the fire.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 10:23 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

All I've ever seen or caught threw the ice was walleye, perch, pike, herring, whitefish and ling. No suprise species for me.
Your going to have a blast up there.

PMEmail Poster
glfpro
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 10:42 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3723

QUOTE (Quigles716 @ Dec 23, 2017 - 10:17 am)
What type of fish can be caught in the lake? Has anyone ever heard of a surpris lake trout or salmon? Weíre going up Jan 18th for four days with icebungalows . Canít wait to crack some cold ones with the boys next to the fire.

No lake trout or salmon in Nipissing.

Species you can expect to find are Walleye, Perch, Pike, Whitefish, Cisco, Burbot. The odd time you can run into bass, musky and if you're really fortunate maybe even a sturgeon.

All in all you're in for a fun trip, lots of laughs and memories to last a lifetime.

Oh almost forgot one species, the mud puppy. They still fascinate me

PMEmail Poster
Quigles716
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 11:10 am

Alevin

The second year We went up, I caught a juvenile musky as we were cleaning up to head out. And last year, I caught a massive small mouth. Didnít even show up on the flasher. I dropped my lure in. And he was on! Haha. Thanks for the info guys

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 11:29 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

A number of years ago I recall a guy caught a salmon in callander bay ice fishing. Never heard of one since.

I have caught rainbow smelt and I know they also report the very odd salmon in the French River.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 02:33 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (glfpro @ Dec 23, 2017 - 10:42 am)

Species you can expect to find are Walleye, Perch, Pike, Whitefish, Cisco, Burbot. The odd time you can run into bass, musky and if you're really fortunate maybe even a sturgeon.

All in all you're in for a fun trip, lots of laughs and memories to last a lifetime.

Oh almost forgot one species, the mud puppy. They still fascinate me

Actually the lowly mud puppy isn't a fish species it's an amphibian with gill slits...aquatic salamander....the only one in Canada.
And apparently a highly studied species by herpetologists.... not sure why? But common to Nipissing.
Your chances of catching one are good...especially in areas with a lot of edible aquatic debris (dead minnows, fish guts etc.) discarded on the bottom. It detects food with a well developed sense of smell...since it has very poor eyesight.
But somehow they manage to find my bait offering on a fairly regular basis.
They also apparently secrete a toxin as a defence mechanism if threatened....and are known to make a slight barking sound?
Personally, I try to touch them as little as possible....only long enough to disengage them from my hook and return them back from where they came.
I always enjoy the reaction of people who have not seen one before when you pull one up through the ice....it's a combination of disgust and fascination...then fear...at the possibility it might end up at your feet.

PM
dickie
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 02:55 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 124

I,ve caught a smallmouth before as well as two silver bass. Last year one of the guys fishing with us caught a carp. Twenty years ago I caught a ling with a lamprey attached.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 04:51 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

It's at least technically possible for Nipissing to have the same species as those of the Great Lakes. There are two natural and unregulated overflows that empty into the French River.
Here is a copy and paste taken from this site. http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ontario/eaux-...s-dams-eng.html

Other French River Channels

During the summer, two nearby natural overflows; Hall Chute and Island 'B' Channel, provide a flow of 26 cubic meters per second into the Little French River, which empties into the main channel of the French River.

PMEmail Poster
bws44
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 07:10 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 10645

All we've caught is walters, pike, whitefish, perch, and the dreaded mudpuppy!

I'm curious to know what you guys caught the bass on though!?!?

PMEmail Poster
Quigles716
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 07:21 pm

Alevin

I caught the bass on a pink Buckshot lire with a minnow head attached the treble hook. I used that for everything thing last year. Caught a ton of walleye on it and a couple of perch with eyes bigger than their stomachs.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace