Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Does anyone use Solunar fishing/hunting calender
Icehog
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 10:10 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7626

Does anyone use this when fishi g or hunting. Been using for the past year and sometimes it correct and other times it incorrect. What everyone's opinion on the calender.

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 11:01 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9678

QUOTE (Icehog @ Feb 22, 2018 - 10:10 am)
Does anyone use this when fishi g or hunting. Been using for the past year and sometimes it correct and other times it incorrect. What everyone's opinion on the calender.

I have one sitting on my wall at work. Seems just as accurate as flipping a coin, at least since I started tracking it.

PMEmail Poster
burnzy1945
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 12:02 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3334

Yes.
I found it more accurate when I lived abroad and oceanside. Tides impact eavily on fishing activity.
Coincidently I was tracking it this past weekend and observed that it was accurate. There was definitely heightened fish activity during major and minor times indicated on the chart.
I wouldn't live by it: I've caught fish on days indicated to be poor. I would be aware of the information, and try not to be eating at those times and be at a good spot.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 - 12:51 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

I answered this on the other site section as well.

I do use this as well as many other factors when planning a trip. If it all works out I would rather be fishing with the solunar table on my side along with barometric pressure etc. than with out.

So it is just another piece of information like lures in your tackle box than can help and that is it.

Can and will you catch fish without all this? . of course, but if you wish to maximize efforts those 2 itmes plus wind , temperature and some others will impact numbers

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
gunoieru
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 10:08 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10878

this post got me curios... i always kinda thought that this is complete bogus, but i see some of you do look at it, more as an another factor to consider rather than the word of the law.

so... i am looking at few versions of the calendar and guess what, they don;t match
currently looking at oodmag.com and an android app and they're off by couple hours. both for ontario, ofcourse.

do you have a source that you actually trust?

PMEmail Poster
Time Bandit
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 10:45 am

Fry

Member No.: 15728

I use this all the time and it's a hit and miss. But I think for the most part it's ok.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 11:08 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

QUOTE (gunoieru @ Feb 27, 2018 - 10:08 am)
this post got me curios... i always kinda thought that this is complete bogus, but i see some of you do look at it, more as an another factor to consider rather than the word of the law.

so... i am looking at few versions of the calendar and guess what, they don;t match
currently looking at oodmag.com and an android app and they're off by couple hours. both for ontario, ofcourse.

It's exactly like reading a horoscope in the newspaper, different publications will have different write-ups but if your willing to believe, you'll find a way to rationalize the results.
In truth, Field And Stream magazine did a very comprehensive study of the solunar tables using thousands of participants in both salt and freshwater fishing. Their conclusion was that it was largely bogus. The catch rate increased by only 5% when the tables were showing a favorable outcome, so it's not completely bogus but not far from that. At that point they stopped publishing the solunar tables in their magazine, that prompted a large rebellion from the subscribers, so their take away lesson is to not bite the hand that feeds you.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 12:14 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (buddy @ Feb 27, 2018 - 11:08 am)
QUOTE (gunoieru @ Feb 27, 2018 - 10:08 am)

It's exactly like reading a horoscope in the newspaper, different publications will have different write-ups but if your willing to believe, you'll find a way to rationalize the results.
In truth, Field And Stream magazine did a very comprehensive study of the solunar tables using thousands of participants in both salt and freshwater fishing. Their conclusion was that it was largely bogus. The catch rate increased by only 5% when the tables were showing a favorable outcome, so it's not completely bogus but not far from that. At that point they stopped publishing the solunar tables in their magazine, that prompted a large rebellion from the subscribers, so their take away lesson is to not bite the hand that feeds you.

Interesting. Yet In Fishermen still promos it

gunoieru
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 12:22 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10878

i had the feeling this is just some sort of horoscope, but i thought that if constellations are an invention, moon phase and tides are a bit more tangible.

i think that this coming weekend on Nipissing, i'll just fish for 24/24. safest bet.

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 01:17 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5705

I'm more likely to get motivated to go fishing if the solunar tables are favorable. However I wont not go because they aren't. Ive only been hunting a few years and Havent paid much attention to them on that side of things, maybe should!

PM
buddy
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 - 08:28 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

QUOTE (Longshank @ Feb 27, 2018 - 12:14 pm)
[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Yet In Fishermen still promos it

Yes, a lot of hunters and fishermen believe in those tables so they aren't going to rub against the grain.
And for those that believe, it adds to further increase the anticipation of the outing so I'm not trying to be a kill joy.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 28, 2018 - 03:14 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (buddy @ Feb 27, 2018 - 08:28 pm)
[QUOTE=Longshank,Feb 27, 2018 - 12:14 pm] [/QUOTE]
Interesting. Yet In Fishermen still promos it [/QUOTE]
Yes, a lot of hunters and fishermen believe in those tables so they aren't going to rub against the grain.
And for those that believe, it adds to further increase the anticipation of the outing so I'm not trying to be a kill joy.

no worries at all. Said earlier I wold go fish when I can, but if I plan a long range trip and can add this info into that I try and do so, much like what Team Rapo said

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace