Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> French River or West Arm?
director
Posted: Jun 01, 2017 - 05:23 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4554

Guys

Got a friend coming down from NS for a bass fishing trip. I'm thinking of either French River or West Arm, but haven't been to either so although I've read a lot on the net I'm looking for some opinions as to which place is better... And of course recommendations for a place to stay and dock my boat.

Heading up Sunday 25 June for a few days.

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 04:43 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13060

I would go to the French in my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 09:07 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

QUOTE (Muskyhunter @ Jun 02, 2017 - 04:43 am)
I would go to the French in my opinion.

X2 great place to start ...

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 12:46 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

I always said having rented cabins at camps for years all over the north and near north if I was fortunate enough to own a piece of property I would chose the French river or west nipissing, they were my 2 favourite places to fish and be without driving too far.

as my handle speaks for itself, I was lucky enough to get my own place on the westarm. having said that you cant go wrong in my opinion with either selection. I do remember slaying bass in the fall and spring on the French but that was a number of years ago

on the west arm I believe lakair lodge has reopened some of their cabins. there is also memquisit, west arm lodge, Victoria lodge, shuswap camp, muskie island view cottages, rockport and mashkinonje lodge. hope I didn't forget anyone. all provide cottages, boat docking etc. I have not personally stayed at all of these however the ones I have been to suited my needs fine and were a pleasure.

the French river options someone else will have to help out with lol. although a search will come up with many I am sure.

PMEmail Poster
director
Posted: Jun 03, 2017 - 12:43 am

Alevin

Thanks for the info...

I was leading towards the French, based on what I had read, but the West Arm looks great too. May be it will be French this year and West Arm next year

PMEmail Poster
KennyT---Simple Man
Posted: Jun 05, 2017 - 08:02 am

Egg

Member No.: 14229

I love both the French and the West Arm, so do not get me wrong. But if it is bass you are after, have you considered Rice or one of the lakes around Peterborough? The fishing of the French and the West Arm, just in my opinion anyway, is much more challenging on either than some of the true bass factories like Rice. Good luck regardless.

PMEmail Poster
bills25
Posted: Jun 06, 2017 - 09:04 pm

Fry

Member No.: 3367

Have never fished west arm but fish the lower French (bears den lodge) every spring for eyes always do a little poke fishing so I inevitably get into bass while fishing for them and usually get quite a few while fishing pike and are always very good size. Got a 24in largie one year wish I got a weight on it definitely my. Invest bass to date had to be pushing 7 pounds. I'll be up there Sunday for a few days I'll give you an update on any bass I get into!!!

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 - 07:52 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3521

Have not really fished the French, but grew up on the west arm. It can be smallie heaven. Lots of structure.. lots of fish. I've caught 20+ without moving the boat. We had one night where we pulled up to our last stop for the evening. Every cast was a hit, and every fish was 3lbs+. Bugs chased us in after a few minutes, but I'll always remember it.

PMEmail Poster
director
Posted: Jun 10, 2017 - 06:34 pm

Alevin

Thanks for the info and would appreciate an update when you get back

PMEmail Poster
bills25
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 - 11:43 pm

Fry

Unfortunately I'm back from my trip, and already counting down my days until I go back. We fished mostly walleye, but I did get casting for pike and inevitably caught a bunch of bass doing so caught several smallies in the 1 1/2- 2 pound range. They were everywhere off the rocky points, also got a nice 4 pound smallie, and a 17in largemouth that I'm guessing was about 3lbs. I probably put in 6 hours in casting and got around 15 bass, so I'd say the bass population is in great shape. As well Brenda the owner of bears den she said Fish TV came up to film a bass fishing show last year and caught 44 bass in 8 hours last year. So if your looking for bass the lower French is a safe bet.

P.S. where ever you end up going I look forward to hearing how you did!!! I was thinking my self trying to get back out that way in august for a bass/pike trip!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Northernman069
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 01:31 pm

Egg

Member No.: 13702

Thanks for ruining our bass fishery, Bills25... there is a reason why bass is closed till late June. The eggs have been laid, and the males are guarding the nest. They will strike on anything that comes nearby, so that is why they are so easy to catch at that time. So while you are reeling ing that bass, and unhooking it, even if you release it, the nest has been cleaned out (almost immediately) and you just eliminated that years spawn from those fish you caught. Just stay out of bass spawning locations till late june... not complicated... any real angler knows that. You are not the only one, many others on this thread are bragging about the "spring bass" they caught. Shame!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 04:35 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Northernman069 @ Jun 17, 2017 - 02:31 pm)
Thanks for ruining our bass fishery, Bills25... there is a reason why bass is closed till late June. The eggs have been laid, and the males are guarding the nest. They will strike on anything that comes nearby, so that is why they are so easy to catch at that time. So while you are reeling ing that bass, and unhooking it, even if you release it, the nest has been cleaned out (almost immediately) and you just eliminated that years spawn from those fish you caught. Just stay out of bass spawning locations till late june... not complicated... any real angler knows that. You are not the only one, many others on this thread are bragging about the "spring bass" they caught. Shame!

for the record northernman my post referred to opening weekend and fall. although my post said spring and fall I target NO bass and NO muskie prior to open although from time to time will catch one out of season and promptly release it.

not sure anyone was really bragging or targeting but I cant speak for anyone else really. just defending my particular post on this thread.

the fishery is near and dear to me so I have no agenda to negatively impact it.

cheers!

PMEmail Poster
bills25
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 - 01:07 pm

Fry

You read my post bud? I was fishing for pike, and happen to catch some bass. Pike happen to live in the same area as spawning bass. I'm not going to not fish for pike just because bass may also be there. If it was such a big problem I'm sure the MNR would change the pike season to the same as the opening as bass season right!?!?!? Don't get so butt hurt!!!! You really make me laugh!!!!

PMEmail Poster
director
Posted: Jun 21, 2017 - 10:15 pm

Alevin

Heading to Wolseley Bay for a 4 day trip! Lodge is booked and the boat is ready... Will post when I get back

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace