Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Barbless hooks, Just a discussion
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 06:48 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7133

With all the talk recently on the topic of Walleye on Nipissing and the mortality of fish that are caught and released, is it time to look at barbless hooks - releasing fish is quicker and far less painful (My opinion only)

Think Manitoba already has a rule for barbless hooks

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 07:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

It can be a can of worms. I spent time in MB and had to crimp everything and look twice cuz the CO was always hiding in a different boat. If you are looking for crimping only in Nip, then you need another box for crimped lures, jigs, etc. Personally I wouldn't. I think more fish can be harmed by the photo shoots than a quick flip with plies and back in the drink.

PM
westarm
Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 10:29 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Jun 19, 2017 - 08:27 pm)
It can be a can of worms. I spent time in MB and had to crimp everything and look twice cuz the CO was always hiding in a different boat. If you are looking for crimping only in Nip, then you need another box for crimped lures, jigs, etc. Personally I wouldn't. I think more fish can be harmed by the photo shoots than a quick flip with plies and back in the drink.

agreed, problems would be countless, how do you decide a walleye fisherman from a perch fisherman or pike fisherman or bass fisherman when say trolling or casting? do you limit this to the "anchored boat" who is jigging or using just a hook and worms? how do you draw the line? leave it up to the "lawmakers" to be judge, jury and prosecution? no thanks! we cant win on that one, way too much grey area in my opinion.
this would just be another redundant rule for the simple fisherman to have to deal with. not to mention I would hate to destroy $10+ lures "just in case" someone thinks I am walleye fishing. nets kill all fish, barbs don't.

all my opinion, cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Antique Fisherman
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 06:46 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7133

Wasn't thinking about restricting it to just walleye fishing but all fishing on Nipissing or maybe the entire province.

It has been discussed before and I'm sure it will be again.

Just to make myself clear, I'm neither for or against barbless hooks, just wondering and looking for opinions

PMEmail Poster
Alleyes
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 08:45 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12803

I have fished on many lakes that are barbless. From everything I have experienced and read, it is certainly much easier on the fish. If you fight a fish properly and have your drag set correct, you won't lose more fish. As far as ruining expensive tackle, trebles are cheap and fairly easy to replace. I think it takes people being okay with a few minor inconveniences and understanding the benefit to the resource. I would imagine only a matter of time and should be in place but thats just my opinion. Cheers

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 08:53 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Antique Fisherman @ Jun 20, 2017 - 07:46 am)
Wasn't thinking about restricting it to just walleye fishing but all fishing on Nipissing or maybe the entire province.

Just to make myself clear, I'm neither for or against barbless hooks, just wondering and looking for opinions

I hear ya antique, I am just not a fan of more "rules" for us little guys!

its frustrating enough running around to find batteries for my "waterproof" flashlight at 5 or 6am, when ITS LIGHT OUT AND I WILL BE BACK BY NOON!!

let alone getting a "warning" or ticket because I forgot to crimp a lure in my tackle box that I "might use" lol.

I just cant see a whole lot of benefit to our fishery in respect to the headaches it would be.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 08:57 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5461

Another alternative would be to restrict treble hooks for artificial lures only. In my opinion they are far more devastating than a barbed hook.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 08:59 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

As a Muskie fisherman, we use barbed hooks, and I haven't had a fish die on me yet. my practice is that if there is more than one hook in the fish, I just cut the hooks. the hooks will rust out and the fish will be ok. then I just slip on a new hook to replace the cut one and get back at it.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 10:20 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Alleyes @ Jun 20, 2017 - 09:45 am)
I have fished on many lakes that are barbless. From everything I have experienced and read, it is certainly much easier on the fish. If you fight a fish properly and have your drag set correct, you won't lose more fish. As far as ruining expensive tackle, trebles are cheap and fairly easy to replace. I think it takes people being okay with a few minor inconveniences and understanding the benefit to the resource. I would imagine only a matter of time and should be in place but thats just my opinion. Cheers

at what point do we stop eating the "minor inconveniences" and the real problems be addressed? whats next after this "minor inconvenience"? no landing nets allowed? fish must be released while still in the water? why do we get all the "minor inconveniences" when dead fish in nets are piled up to rot or stuck dead in ghost nets?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 10:51 am

World Record Trout

at what point do we stop eating the "minor inconveniences" and the real problems be addressed? whats next after this "minor inconvenience"? no landing nets allowed? fish must be released while still in the water? why do we get all the "minor inconveniences" when dead fish in nets are piled up to rot or stuck dead in ghost nets?

Exactly!

PM
Fisherman
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 10:53 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Antique Fisherman @ Jun 20, 2017 - 06:46 am)

Sometime stirring "opinions" can bite you in the azz, things seem to be doingjust fine. If you want to crimp your own hooks, go for it. Kindly leave mine alone.

PM
Paddy
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 11:12 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

QUOTE (westarm @ Jun 20, 2017 - 08:53 am)
let alone getting a "warning" or ticket because I forgot to crimp a lure in my tackle box that I "might use" lol.

Having to crimp every lure in your box is equivalent to saying you can't have 5 rods in the boat or you are fishing with 5 rods. Doesn't make sense.

Just crimp the lure you're using. If you change lures, crimp that one too.

For the record I vote to keep the barbs, but if they made a barbless rule, I don't think I would have a problem with it.

PMEmail Poster
Alleyes
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 12:02 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12803

Im not saying it solves the bigger problems and that it fixes the netting issue, thats a whole other topic. In my opinion crushing my barbs, which is what this thread is about, is a simple thing I can do which may get the fish back in the water both less beat up and sooner. Its the how can I vs. the how can I be expected to view. Perhaps not everyone is willing to make small adjustments in the way they fish and thats cool. Looking at it with the perspective of what other "small adjustments" will come next, is down the lines of how can I be expected to...in my opinion. Just an opinion though, we all have them

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 12:15 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Paddy @ Jun 20, 2017 - 12:12 pm)
QUOTE (westarm @ Jun 20, 2017 - 08:53 am)

Having to crimp every lure in your box is equivalent to saying you can't have 5 rods in the boat or you are fishing with 5 rods. Doesn't make sense.

Just crimp the lure you're using. If you change lures, crimp that one too.

For the record I vote to keep the barbs, but if they made a barbless rule, I don't think I would have a problem with it.

I mean no disrespect paddy, but just conforming to everything is a lot of the problem these days. instead of writing letters and standing up for what we want so that we don't continuously get screwed we just b1tch to each other while waiting in line to renew our drivers license stickers!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 12:18 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Alleyes @ Jun 20, 2017 - 01:02 pm)
Im not saying it solves the bigger problems and that it fixes the netting issue, thats a whole other topic. In my opinion crushing my barbs, which is what this thread is about, is a simple thing I can do which may get the fish back in the water both less beat up and sooner. Its the how can I vs. the how can I be expected to view. Perhaps not everyone is willing to make small adjustments in the way they fish and thats cool. Looking at it with the perspective of what other "small adjustments" will come next, is down the lines of how can I be expected to...in my opinion. Just an opinion though, we all have them

so.... I assume by your post that you currently crimp your barbs down?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace