Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fish migration a bit late?
Sterling
Posted: Jul 18, 2017 - 12:06 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 9678

As you guys know, walleye are found shallow in late may and june. They begin their journey to deeper water around mid june and into july, and are found almost exclusively in deep water during late summer.

I was out on Nipissing yesterday and expected Callander Bay to be nearly void of walleye, but it appears their migration is a bit late?

Went to the usual spot in 35-45ft of water (trolling) and marked maybe 25% of the fish I usually see in August. Backpeddled to Callander Bay and marked wayyy more fish in the 35ft bowl south of the Callander Bay islands. You could see the fish hanging out above the thermocline (20ft), clear as day. Dropped worm harnesses and hooked into a couple fish. Didn't have the right speed setup but yeah, that's where the fish were.

We also spent a good hour fishing the reeds on the north side of CB. Caught a couple pike, surprised to see no bass. Maybe they've gone deeper?

PMEmail Poster
Sims
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 - 01:50 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14235

Hi I am heading up to Callander bay in 2 weeks. I have never fished the area. Does anyone have any tips

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jul 26, 2017 - 08:29 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7035

QUOTE (Sims @ Jul 25, 2017 - 01:50 pm)
Hi I am heading up to Callander bay in 2 weeks. I have never fished the area. Does anyone have any tips

I think you can find some great tips in the original post. Looks like some excellent information to build on. If you have an ipad, download the Canada / USA Navionics app. It will help you find the depths mentioned above and any other areas that look similar.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Jul 26, 2017 - 02:26 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4441

Is that app also available for android

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jul 26, 2017 - 03:58 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

I have noticed a very similar pattern in the west arm and west bay sterling, its kinda like they are in transistion still, not shallow and not deep. catching small pike still relatively shallow but a lot of fishing pressure in those areas and nice solid weedbed growth. catching a couple incidentals as far as walleye in the 8-10 foot range but when we tried deeper 30-40 we got some rockbass but not much else so not much time spent. if they don't start hitting my jig immediately I trade off for a gator rod and move on. however marked ALOT of fish suspended. water still way high for end of july. and where????? did all the smallies go? no luck on the shallow rocks where I WAS killing them earlier this month. all the rain perhaps? just gotta get a pattern because right now I don't have one! lol.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jul 26, 2017 - 11:18 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3521

This summer has been funny with the cooler high water and constant pressure variations/rain every couple days. We've had a couple outings where we were like "Here we go!!" because conditions looked prime.... and nothing.

We generally troll for walleye.. never more than 12-14ft and always hit fish. The average size was a lot better in the spring, but I've lost 2 hogs in the last couple weeks.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace