Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Poacher Fined!
minnkota
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 - 06:57 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 766

Another poacher caught and fined:

A Sudbury man has been fined $1,800 for possessing walleye of a prohibited size from Lake Nipissing, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry announced Tuesday.

Jeffery Peterson pleaded guilty to possessing six undersized walleye and was fined $300 for each fish. Peterson also received a one-year fishing licence suspension

http://www.nugget.ca/2017/07/25/fisherman-...ersized-walleye

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jul 26, 2017 - 12:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

Good, wish that was harsher though... 1,800 for many people is a slap on the wrist.. he will probably be back out on the water with or without a license this year.

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 - 08:18 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3999

Good news for sure.

It has always puzzled me....I have fished the lake for several years...summer months only mind you...and have never....NEVER..... been stopped by MNR to inspect fish caught. I question why the MNR would not just set up at the few boat launches we have here in North Bay and politely ask boaters to see and/or inspect boats. I would gladly welcome this in the hopes that it would prove there are a lot of honest anglers here who care about our lake and it's resources. I can't even imagine how many fish I have released back into the lake being a half inch under the slot size (yes I even pinched the tail when measuring....we all do it...lol)

A tip of the hat to all of you who do the same. We are making a difference. I can see it this year as I am seeing larger and more walleye being caught. The next few years we should see a slight improvement in keepers for sure. I am glad to say this as the outfitters and lodges have taken a huge hit over the years...and they deserve it!

Cheers.

SKRAMO.......}-)))0>.........

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 - 10:08 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4676

Thanks minnkota for posting the news report.
Publicity is the key IMO....without that....the charges and fines go unrecognized unless you're actively searching the OMNRF's website for the incident reports.
I've noted several of the other convictions this past year resulted in $250 fines per fish....so perhaps there's a trend towards slightly higher fines in some cases. That's starting to lean upwards of a $150 a pound for fish....although, possibly not nearly sufficient as dmorrs35 mentions....still basically 10 times what it costs to buy fish in the store. That's getting to be an expensive meal.
Personally, I'd like to see longer licence suspensions for not only repeat offenders but first time offenders as well.
I imagine the frequency of OMNRF encounters are somewhat dependent on how much time you actually spend out on the lake.
Where we're located on Nipissing, we get stopped by the OMNRF on average 2-4 times a summer (was actually stopped 3 times one Saturday alone, by the same crew...as we moved around the eastern end of the lake)....and usually visited a couple times a winter by OMNRF staff on snowmobiles as well. We're located between well known fishing areas, on a travel path down the South shore of the lake. But I've noticed however, the frequency of my encounters has been lower if we're fishing the upper French or the West Arm/West Bay for sure....could be just timing....as opposed to area specific?
We're usually also stopped several times a summer by the OPP enforcement boat as well.
Both boats are very recognizable at a distance.
Normally the OMNRF stops are simple creel surveys but they are always prepared to check fish if we've kept any.
I've probably been stopped close to a hundred times now over my life time on Nipissing alone....and truly can't say I've ever once had an encounter with either the OPP or OMNRF staff that was anything but pleasant and completely professional.
And I'm finding myself in agreement with SKRAMO's observations. This has been a tremendous summer so far for fishing on the lake. I haven't targeted muskie yet (I'll start in August through to October) but the pike, walleye and bass fishing has been extremely good....and I'm definitely noticing a slightly larger percentage of walleye exceeding the slot threshold then the past two years. The 2017 fall walleye index netting survey (FWIN) will hopefully corroborate those findings. The only negative 'I've' observed so far this summer is....we've caught fewer perch....hopefully, that's just locational changes given the higher overall water levels and correspondingly slightly lower lake water temperatures (although, the recent Trillium study did mention a possible decline in the perch population). There appears to be a massive amount of bait fish present in and around most of our traditional fishing locations.
And physical evidence I've noticed, at least in our home bay, is the walleye spawn was strong again....and early recruitment good.
Things definitely seem to be looking up for the lake....IMO.

PM
westarm
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 - 11:09 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Jul 28, 2017 - 11:08 am)

I've noted several of the other convictions this past year resulted in $250 fines per fish....so perhaps there's a trend towards slightly higher fines in some cases. That's starting to lean upwards of a $150 a pound for fish....although, possibly not nearly sufficient as dmorrs35 mentions....still basically 10 times what it costs to buy fish in the store. That's getting to be an expensive meal.

the best part grumpa is that in all likelihood ALL the fish were confiscated, they would have to be present to press charges and you don't keep those fish, they are taken.
a friend of mine was caught off guard once when stopped and had 2 walleye undersized, it was a bit of an error on his part because he failed to realize the slot changed to 18.1" or at least that was his claim. it was pretty brand new at the time, he received a strong warning and the fish were confiscated. one swam away the other was dead and taken.
so there is almost a 100 % chance they got NO FISH for 1800 bucks!! a real expensive meal he DIDNT even get!

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Jul 29, 2017 - 12:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Love it!!! More harsh penalties needed!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace