Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bass season 2018
morecowbell23
Posted: Aug 01, 2017 - 07:01 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3596

Thinking ahead to next years trip and looked on the June Callander and there is five Saturdays in the month.

When does bass season open?

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Aug 02, 2017 - 07:55 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

typically zone 11 {nip, French, west arm} has an exception for bass season and rather than opening the 4th sat. it opens the 3rd sat. having said that the 3rd sat. is pretty early next year.

I would say it would be a big question mark at this time. if you are booking now the 4th sat. is a guarantee that it will be open, the 3rd sat. is a possibility as well though.

why is there even an exception for nip? and why isn't it just the 4th sat like the rest of zone 11? I do not know, perhaps grumpa could chime in, he has a vast knowledge on stuff like this.

to me I found especially this year there were a ton of bass real shallow when the season opened, was it too early?

to try to answer as best I can would be, I cannot remember the last time bass season didn't open the 3rd sat. and wasn't noted on the exceptions to zone 11. i am not sure how you would find out 100% though.

cheers!

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Aug 02, 2017 - 09:50 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3596

Thanks West arm for your reply
I contacted the ministry and we would have to wait until 2018 rules were updated but as of 2017 as you know the third sat. is the rule.
We were on the lake June 10-17 this year and the bass were pretty aggressive and I agree it was maybe two early to be open on the third Saturday.

Yes we need Grumpa to chime in here.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Aug 02, 2017 - 10:43 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Hi guys.
Been fishing so much lately haven't been checking the board very often.
The OMNRF made a concession to the recreational anglers in 2014 when they made the most recent changes to the walleye fishery (nothing under 18.1").
The ministry wanted to provide anglers with more fishing options to offset the tightening of the walleye limits and slot restriction (and put further emphasis on the great bass fishery on the lake, as a fishing alternative).....so the OMNRF moved the bass opener back a week earlier.
The OMNRF felt it wouldn't have a detrimental effect on the bass population.

PM
westarm
Posted: Aug 02, 2017 - 03:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Grumpa @ Aug 02, 2017 - 11:43 am)
Hi guys.
Been fishing so much lately haven't been checking the board very often.
The OMNRF made a concession to the recreational anglers in 2014 when they made the most recent changes to the walleye fishery (nothing under 18.1").
The ministry wanted to provide anglers with more fishing options to offset the tightening of the walleye limits and slot restriction (and put further emphasis on the great bass fishery on the lake, as a fishing alternative).....so the OMNRF moved the bass opener back a week earlier.
The OMNRF felt it wouldn't have a detrimental effect on the bass population.

i learn something new every time you post grumpa! thanks

i would say it will prob be 3rd sat. then! worst case Ontario if its not open pike and walleye will be and of course the beer will still be cold!!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace