» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Minnows or bugs?, is there a time to switch?
Bobinette
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 07:20 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10778

Is there a time to switch from fishing predominately minnows to the “simcoe bug” for perch? We were told by a guide up north a long time ago that when the pickerel starts to show a yellow belly it’s time to abandon the minnows and go for the worm harness (mind you I still use mostly minnows and hard baits). So is it the same for perch, is there a time when the shrimp are out and the perch won’t readily take minnow? Thx gang

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 07:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

I think minnows are a pretty safe bet throughout the seasons. You'll know if the perch are eating "scuds" (bugs) because they will throw them up when land them. It'll also relate to the bottom structure -- fishing over weeks vs over open flats/sandy bottoms.

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 07:54 pm

Smolt Trout

I started to see that throwing up you mentioned, however did not know about the difference the bottom makes in this case. I guess the scuds live in / on the weeds so the perch are use to seeing them there?

PMEmail Poster
Icehog
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 08:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7626

I use minnows and the simco bug. Both have great results

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 - 08:56 pm

Smolt Trout

What do you mean Icehog, a jig or some other lure tipped with minnows and adding the bug as a dropper above it OR the bug on its own fished on the bottom?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace