Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> deep cycle battery
miro
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 06:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3947

Excuse my ignorance guys, but when it comes to battery's I got no clue how these things work. My question is can I use a starting/deep cycle battery to run my trolling motor or do I need a regular deep cycle battery only. Also has anyone used the Kirkland battery's from Cosco and what do you think of them ?

PMEmail Poster
HUNTFISH17
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 06:40 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7157

Iím no expert in trolling motors and only use my small 12v one occasionally on a regular marine battery, but I will say I have a Costco battery that is on 3rd season and no issues at all.

PMEmail Poster
ledpedlr
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 07:05 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2275

from an old battery guy. Best if you have two batteries, deep cycle for trolling motor and starting battery separate. Then if you run down you trolling motor battery you will still have the other to get your motor going and run your electronics, running you electronics off of the starting battery will not cause you any problems and prevents any possible interference from you troller when it runs. Hope I've helped
Rodger

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 - 07:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

8th year on both deep cycle ... Interstate !!

I would run 2 for sure Deep Cycle . One for starting and one for trolling.

Also doesnít hurt to have a pair of jumper cables on board.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 11:11 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Ok so here the scoop.

Trolling motors kill starting batteries.

Starting batteries are made for a high fast discharge using a very small amount of the total capacity of the battery and then are topped up by the alternator quickly. Draining a starting battery deeply distroys itís life quickly.

Deep cycle batteries hate high quick discharge and can be damaged by it. Deep cycles are made for a long slow drain and to be deeply drained and recharged with out damage.

Do not run trolling motors on starting batteries.

Some batteries are dual purpose. As a dual purpose they do both ok but not great. Dedicated batteries are better individually than a dual purpose battery.

Also your charger on a deep cycle make all the difference in the world. A proper charger will extend the life of your batteries.

PMEmail Poster
mukluk
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 03:59 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 49

Costco deep cycle. 110%. Usually get 7 to 8 years out of a battery. Charge it with a 2 amp. trickle charger.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 04:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

This year, I replaced my Kirkland starting battery. Got 8 years out of it.

Replaced it with a new starting battery from Total Battery in Barrie. Price was better than Costco and the battery was more powerful than what Costco was selling.

Over the last number of years, I have found Total Battery to be a good place to go for all my battery needs. Products and service are good and so is the pricing.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 04:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Jun 28, 2018 - 04:09 pm)

Replaced it with a new starting battery from Total Battery in Barrie. Price was better than Costco and the battery was more powerful than what Costco was selling.

Over the last number of years, I have found Total Battery to be a good place to go for all my battery needs. Products and service are good and so is the pricing.

SDC

Hey Ralph ,

Do you get anything back for brining in old deep cycle batteries ?

I know the lead is worth a pretty penny or from what Iím hearing guys go after that.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Fishsniffer @ Jun 28, 2018 - 04:11 pm)
QUOTE (sdcaller @ Jun 28, 2018 - 04:09 pm)

SDC

Hey Ralph ,

Do you get anything back for brining in old deep cycle batteries ?

I know the lead is worth a pretty penny or from what Iím hearing guys go after that.

Hey Dan

When you buy a new battery I think you get $10.00 off when you bring in the old one.

Also, I think they will buy old batteries from you for $10.00

Phone them and ask the question.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
4d277
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:47 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7427

What about agm

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 07:52 pm

Trophy Trout

Hay guys thanks for all your help. looks like a starting deep cycle for the Yamaha and a pair of regular deep cycles for the minn kota.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 11:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

Check out Great Northern Battery - local Ontario company that often has really good deals on deep cycles - Locations in Hamilton and Woodbridge.

http://www.gnbsystems.com/index.php

PMEmail Poster
Berger
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 - 09:08 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9805

After selling and changing like 7-8 trolling motors probably I know what I am talking about.
I do troll on Lake Ontario and the only source of power in my dingy is my troling motor.

1) Best deal for batteries on trolling: see Costco AGM $169 (70Ah / 21Kg).
2) Make sure you keep the batteries charged all the time, don't keep the lead acid batteries discharged, you will ruin them even if they are new.

Bring the old core to Costco and get a discount of $15.

Make sure your trolling motor has Digital Maximizer, otherwise you will buy lots of batteries (disregard the brand). No digital maximizer is the recipe to buy lots of bateries (waste of money).

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 - 10:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Ok digital maximizer I'll look into that.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace