Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ice out
Doral30
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 05:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 977

Some great info here
Thanks

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 06:39 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3999

Agreed....excellent info here...thanks for the contributions!

FYI: someone who lives on Lake Nipissing told me they saw snow machines ripping along the lake last weekend....... is summer ever going to arrive?

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 07:00 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

QUOTE (SKRAMO @ Apr 18, 2018 - 06:39 pm)
Agreed....excellent info here...thanks for the contributions!

FYI: someone who lives on Lake Nipissing told me they saw snow machines ripping along the lake last weekend....... is summer ever going to arrive?

I was skiing over top of a fresh snowmobile track today. This is the latest that I've ever skied on that lake and it looks like it won't be ending anytime soon. The snow depth varies between 2-6 inches and underneath is pristine ice, just like it was on the closer.

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 07:09 pm

Adult Trout

Lol.....we will be ice fishing on walleye season opener....Brutal!!!! Anyone have an ice breaker attachment for sale?

Another concern I have with this late ice out/winter thaw is that if it does warm up fast...I feel for all the people with houses/property on the lake. This late thaw and fast melt will no doubt cause a sudden flow of water into the lake that the dam in the French may not be able to react to fast enough.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 10:27 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

SKRAMO - I dunno about up north (the Temagami end of the watershed), but locally we don't have the snowpack. They drop the water significantly in the fall. Last time we checked out the camp (in March) our permanent docks were high and dry and shoals we fish in spring were heaving ice...

13 degrees Sunday.. we'll see if we get it, and if it holds up...

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 05:20 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4203

The lake level is starting to rise but is behind levels from the last 6 years which is as long as I have been trending the data. The vertical column in the attached document is the elevation above sea level in meters. The lake level is also rising at a slower rate compared to previous thaws. There isn't much snow around my place to melt and fill up the lake though. Need some rain to help also. The amount of precipitation in March was around 20% of the long term average.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 10:51 am

Adult Trout

Well my curiosity got the better of me so I went out to my old fishing spot to measure the ice depth. When I got there I could still see a slight ridge from the banking that I had around the shack. I had to chop through 25" of ice to find water. That is exactly the same amount of ice that was there at the end of the season. The ice had some dampness to it from water percolation but is not rotten by any means. It still had the same characteristic blue color and it was a beast to chip through.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 11:45 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

Caught this article today. I think it's just indicating it's maybe unusual for this late in April?
The late ice isn't that uncommon...when I moved onto the south shore spring of 2007 (Deepwater Pt.) we watched huge ice flows (some small icebergs really) float by out on the main lake the last week of April. And I think more recently, maybe 2014?....I was standing on solid ice working on my dock the end of the first week of May.
And there's been two years (maybe 2009 the first one...my memory's a bit vague on the precise year now) when the water level was so high, it rolled over my 5 foot shoreline breakwall on the May holiday weekend and blew numerous dock top boards out.
High water levels can certainly be problematic for shoreline property owners (my dock barrels are ready again, if necessary)....but I've always felt that slightly higher water levels is beneficial to a healthier lake ecosystem and all the aquatic organisms in it.
I've generally had better fishing results during those years that the water was slightly higher then normal.
What have some of the other residents and fishermen experienced and noticed?

Overall rainfall this spring could have a lot to do with eventual lake levels.

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/snow-at-...id-April-898471

PM
buddy
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 02:12 pm

Adult Trout

I think the current lake conditions will affect the pike spawn the most. They spawn early and this year the lake level is low for this time of year. I fear that the lake will rise after they spawn and that would leave their eggs too far submerged and they may not see enough oxygen and wave movement.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 11:54 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

I've noticed the same, Grumpa. Low water = poor fishing. When my grandfather was alive they always equated it (the "pickeral"/walleye bite) to whether or not they made a spring spawning "run" into our end of the lake. High water = strong run of hungry spawners and the fishing would taper off as they moved back out to the "big water".

The worst year I can recall as far as fishing goes was 2010. Also the lowest water I remember. Algae blooms all over the place. I had a buddy come up in August for 3 days. I warned him but he came up anyway. We caught 1 largemouth and a couple perch.
The duck hunting was off the wall that fall, but the fishing...

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 08:16 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (buddy @ Apr 19, 2018 - 02:12 pm)
I think the current lake conditions will affect the pike spawn the most.

I wouldn't worry about the pike buddy, they are incredibly adaptable.
On Erie the first fish into spawn each spring were always the perch, they literally came in as the ice was going out. As soon as we could get commercial seine nets in the water, perch were in them. The pike would move in right on their tails.
Pike spawn in marshes, their eggs are sticky and adhere to vegetation. High water years just creates larger weedy, marshy areas to spawn in. In low waters years on Erie I personally witnessed pike push, as far up as possible, into the marshes and feeder creeks and spawn with their backs nearly out of the water, almost like carp. They are an incredibly resilient fish.
Long before fisheries conservation was a taking point, I have to admit, pike were speared coming into spawn on Erie's north shore each spring. It was tantamount to shooting fish in a barrel. Thankfully now we have monitored and clearly established sportsfishing seasons and sanctuaries to protect spawning fish.
Pike are one of those fish that don't seem to take any feeding break surrounding their spawn. The females will feed coming into the spawning bays and immediately start ravenously feeding again before they leave the shallower spawning sites.
On Georgian Bay, as soon as the warmer south facing bays melted, and the season permitted, overly eager fishermen would try dead baiting for any huge female pike that might still be heading into the spawning locations.
As kids, as soon as permitted and we could get a boat in the water in the spring....we'd sight fish for any late departing spawned out pike in Erie's spawning bays.
Big post spawn female pike would literally chase down and eat anything you threw in the water in front of them...before heading back out to their deeper summer locations.
Pike are a species that seemed to find a way to spawn no matter what the conditions were.

Interesting point about newly hatched pike, and something I just learned a few years ago.....newly hatched pike have a sticky patch on their heads and they use it (like a sticky note) to attach to vegetation while resting and growing between feedings. Over time the sticky patch disappears.

PM
SKRAMO
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 08:22 am

Adult Trout

Stumbled on this website....I am not a hydrology expert...but it seems things are going ok.....for now.....

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ontario/eaux-...mation-eng.html

Time to start digging out the tackle and sorting out the mess I left myself last year....lol.

Cheers all!

SKRAMO..... }-)))0>.....

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 09:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Apr 20, 2018 - 12:54 am)
I've noticed the same, Grumpa. Low water = poor fishing. When my grandfather was alive they always equated it (the "pickeral"/walleye bite) to whether or not they made a spring spawning "run" into our end of the lake. High water = strong run of hungry spawners and the fishing would taper off as they moved back out to the "big water".

The worst year I can recall as far as fishing goes was 2010. Also the lowest water I remember. Algae blooms all over the place. I had a buddy come up in August for 3 days. I warned him but he came up anyway. We caught 1 largemouth and a couple perch.
The duck hunting was off the wall that fall, but the fishing...

I second that opinion, 2010 was an absolute dog!! and water was low low low. it was horrible. I could stand at the end of my dock with just boots on and not get wet.

our party went out in 2010 for our annual September fishing trip and caught 5 fish all weekend??? worst ever by far, as example the last 3 Septembers we were over 100.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 09:40 am

Adult Trout

I checked the ice depth again today and it now sits at a mere 22". At this rate it should be off for the long weekend...in July...kidding, I don't know when it will be off but it needs to start moving faster than this. We had some really nice days but with very little wind, so I believe there is a cold boundary layer of air that hovers over the ice and with no wind to stir it up, it shields the ice from the warmer air above.

PMEmail Poster
ZzzAngler
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 - 08:38 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9551

I went out on the weekend and drilled a few holes along the South Shore between Callander Bay and DWP. Strolled out about 1/2 km drilling holes as I went and the ice was pretty consistent at about 26 inches thick. It has been milder since and some slush is starting to develop on the surface. Iím no expert but guess it is going to be awhile before itís gone. Hopefully itís all gone by the opener. 🐟😃🙏🏻
Tight lines.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace