Hunting Forum Hunting Regulations    
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MNRF Moose Survey, Should I even bother filling it out?
deerhunter
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 04:35 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10322

Received my MNRF moose hunting survey last week. I am tempted to not fill it out. I have been applying for a moose tag for 15 years now and have never gotten one. The MNRF is using an archaic, out-dated, and primitive system for granting moose tags. And Yes, I am angry. And yes, I feel that after 15 years of paying $50 per year I should be given priority in getting a moose tag.

Last time I checked it was the year 2017. It's time MNRF overhauled it's antiquated system for granting moose tags given the fact that there are now highly sophisticated computer systems for equitably granting moose tags. Some fairness would be welcomed.

I will fill out my moose questionaire in protest and state that I didn't hunt moose this year because the individuals running the Moose Draw are idiots.

PMEmail Poster
fatboy4me
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 10:35 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 2504

I know some hunters that travel out east to hunt. It is too expensive for me to do , but it's a thought.

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 10:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2926

Don't fill it out and you can pretty much guarantee that you won't draw next year also. Do it online, takes 10 seconds, done...

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 08:05 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

If you fill it out and mail it back, it will most certainly end up in the blue box.

Unopened.

It's the government.

It aint rocket science.

The End.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 08:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (DOS @ Nov 29, 2017 - 10:53 am)
Don't fill it out and you can pretty much guarantee that you won't draw next year also. Do it online, takes 10 seconds, done...

Great idea ...and save $1+ for the stamp..

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 10:18 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

QUOTE (fatboy4me @ Nov 29, 2017 - 10:35 am)
I know some hunters that travel out east to hunt. It is too expensive for me to do , but it's a thought.

It is pricey $500 for the tag but depending where you are in Ontario many of the population can get to the Quebec border in 5-6 hours. Better than driving 10-20 hours to northern Ontario. The price you would save on gas might even cover your non-res tag. Pretty much every year when you buy your license at the store you can take a bull or a calf. Only draw is for cow. In the ZECs ( sorta like our provincial parks ) you can only harvest adult moose. Makes sense why the Quebec moose population is doing well. It is managed correctly.

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 11:07 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (nuzpaper @ Nov 30, 2017 - 10:18 am)

It is pricey $500 for the tag but depending where you are in Ontario many of the population can get to the Quebec border in 5-6 hours. Better than driving 10-20 hours to northern Ontario. The price you would save on gas might even cover your non-res tag. Pretty much every year when you buy your license at the store you can take a bull or a calf. Only draw is for cow. In the ZECs ( sorta like our provincial parks ) you can only harvest adult moose. Makes sense why the Quebec moose population is doing well. It is managed correctly.

Quebec changed their moose regulations a couple years ago.
Non residents now must use the services of an outfitter. That works out to a bunch more than $500

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 04:04 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Nov 30, 2017 - 11:07 am)
QUOTE (nuzpaper @ Nov 30, 2017 - 10:18 am)

Quebec changed their moose regulations a couple years ago.
Non residents now must use the services of an outfitter. That works out to a bunch more than $500

Incorrect. They tried to change it and there was so much uproar they changed it back before the hunt even started because they saw the revenue loss that would happen. They also tried to apply it to deer. Didn't work. Non-res can walk into any store that sells licenses and buy a moose or a deer tag. Don't even ask you for ID or a hunting license from another province. They can also hunt with bow/crossbow without having to take the Quebec bow course and as of this spring can also hunt turkey. I own land in Quebec and only hunt there. I know the regs. Below are the only restrictions that apply to non-res

https://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publica...n-residents.asp

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 05:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

Wish somebody told me this 2 years ago, i gave up on Quebec after reading the new regs at the time.

Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
pisky
Posted: Dec 02, 2017 - 10:52 am

Fry

Member No.: 10548

Ontario tags are getting harder to get. I hunt in 12a fly in. Canoe canada does not even do the rifle hunt any more as there tag allotment was down 70%.

PMEmail Poster
oxotnik
Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 09:38 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14801

To be successful in the draw you have to applying in the group. They post the group numbers successful for each year.
Survey is important , this year we needed to transfer a tag to another member of the group (due to the illness) 3 days before a trip and I spoke to MNR officer who told me that they usually do not do it when the season started... but she will look in to it and one of the conditions was if we filled the surveys every year.

PMEmail Poster
richyb
Posted: Jan 03, 2018 - 11:19 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 987

QUOTE (oxotnik @ Dec 27, 2017 - 09:38 am)
To be successful in the draw you have to applying in the group. They post the group numbers successful for each year.

Yes that is what they say. BUT our camp applied as a group a couple of years back and did not get drawn for an adult tag. Our neighbors camp applied as individuals and got a cow tag. That same person also drew a bull tag the next year.( which should never happen since they would be in pool 2) Years ago we also drew a cow tag applying as individuals and we knew of groups that didnt get drawn. They need to do something about that whole tag system. Im sure a 12 yr old with a computer for a couple of days could figure out the tags better than what we have now.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace