Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> hanging game and from which end
coldmike1
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 06:19 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3039

just a general question to the forum. if conditions are right, for example cool days and nights how long should a deer or moose hang, next question should it hang head down or hind legs down. my opinion is let it hang as long as possible and always hind legs up just as you would see in a butcher shop. just wondering

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 06:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Cool..well that depends, if you have steady temps around 4C or so I've let mine hang up to 10 days, a couple more if it's colder. Upside down or right side up, every one has a theory. I believe butchers hang them butt up because they can get the hooks through the rear legs just above the ankle joint. I've always done mine the other way, easier for me to take the hide off and, if there's any amount of tarsal gland dripping, it's not going to get onto the major part of the animal.

PM
coldmike1
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 06:58 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3039

great answer, I have thought that letting the vein furthest from the pressure point, that being the heart should drain first, let gravity do its thing but I agree removing the hind end from the bottom is easier should I be successful in next weeks shotgun hunt I will try it that way thx

PMEmail Poster
Toolman13
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 09:23 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 6735

We always hang our animals head down. We were told by a butcher years ago to do this. We use spreaders through the tendons. Works good.
How long to hang it? Depends of course on the weather but that aside a couple other things factor in as well.
We have a shed that we put the animals in so we skin them right away. Way easier for skinning and the meat cools much quicker.
If you are getting all sausage or pepperettes made, you could probably take the animal in right away.
If you are getting roasts, steaks, etc. and the weather conditions are good. I'd say a full week for sure.

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 10:58 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2926

Head up if hanging outside( so leaves and twigs dont fall into the cavity) Head down if hanging inside ( much easier to knock the skin off and butcher) I have done both, and there is no noticeable difference in the quality of the meat. Length of hang, I generally butcher ASAP.

PMEmail Poster
codyboy
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 07:01 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (DOS @ Nov 29, 2017 - 10:58 am)
Head up if hanging outside( so leaves and twigs dont fall into the cavity) Head down if hanging inside ( much easier to knock the skin off and butcher) I have done both, and there is no noticeable difference in the quality of the meat. Length of hang, I generally butcher ASAP.

AGREE

PMEmail Poster
bramptonmike
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 05:16 am

Fry

Member No.: 14723

QUOTE (DOS @ Nov 29, 2017 - 09:58 am)

Have to agree as that is how we do it as well!

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 06:29 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11276

If temps are 40'f or lower,hang inside(if possible),skinned, for up to 2weeks. Aged meat cuts like butter and tastes great!! 🙂

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 06:33 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11276

Btw,hang deer with gambrel, hind legs up. 🙂

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace