Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Navionics Web App, a bit off
N4X1Z0
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 - 09:55 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12473

I use Navionics for research on new lakes, so, I did my homework and decided where I wanted to fish and the actual depth was 20' different than the map I'd printed. Obviously a big difference. I ended up just drilling scores of holes to find the depth I was looking for. Finally got onto some good fishing but I didn't trust my map very much.

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 - 11:10 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

Did you click over to sonar charts or were you using the default? The default just comes from govt data for the most part and can be decades out of sync or come from rudimentary checks that miss a lot of detail. Sonar charts is usually more accurate if people have been mapping the lake and uploading their results, but if it is a lightly travelled lake you may not have enough data points for a good picture.

I will basically trust it to give an overview of a general area of the lake and let the auger/depth finder do the rest of the work

PMEmail Poster
N4X1Z0
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 - 11:40 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12473

I think you're right, it's a known lake but not highly used from what I can see so they probably skimmed over the finer details for depths. I checked the settings and changing things didn't make any difference to the chart. I'll have to look into it further for interest sake.

Also agree that it gives you a good general overview but you've still gotta put some time in to find what you want.

PMEmail Poster
Mjewell
Posted: Jan 27, 2018 - 07:07 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10777

Make sure that you have changed the units from meters to feet.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace