Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> West Bay / west arm help!
jms83
Posted: Sep 16, 2017 - 06:53 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9775

Since the early spring with the high water levels I haven't figured out where any fish are! My usual is large mouth and Pike in the weeds with texas rigged senkos and spinner baits but I've been sknunked all summer. I've never consistently found the small mouth and I don't often fish for walleye.

Any tips for the fall so this season isn't a total loss?

Where are the small mouth!
And really any tips for the walleye?

I assume largemouth have moved out along with the pike.

I'm located at sucker Creek narrows, right between West Bay and west arm.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 17, 2017 - 08:48 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

hi jms83, cant believe you have had such a rough time this year? I have found the fishing to be pretty good this year in the west arm and west bay.

having said that it has seem to be in cycles and since I don't target any one thing specifically for a long period of time I have had decent success. smallmouth were just ferocious in the spring then they backed off and last week they seemed to be biting again. largemouth I would agree has been slow, although I didn't fish a lot of slop weedbeds this year due to the deerflies hanging around those areas all the way into the end of august for some reason. I have caught a handful by accident.

walleye were in their usual places up until about 2 weeks ago ish. they seem to be on the move but I expect they will pick up again. jigs and worms is old faithful for me. try a spot 15 min no luck move on.

pike have been fairly plentiful all year, last week 10 of us got about 85 in 3 days with the largest being 7lbs 2oz , spinners, spinner baits the usual pike suspects, towards the end of our mini tournament things slowed dramatically, I blamed too many bluebird days in a row.

think about this for the fall, weedbeds dying off {which is already in full swing} which means oxygen is being sucked out of those spots instead of generated, so weeds will likely slow in producing fish. in my opinion its time to focus on structure rather then weeds. try a variety of baits larger and smaller, sometimes a downsize in tackle can produce when the bite is slower and vice versa, stick to those shoals and watch for boats when walleye hunting, seeing a boat on a spot for a long period of time is typically a dead giveaway, I have had success with smallies on those walleye shoals this year {actually most years}, it seems after spring they scurry to deeper water. worms or minnows can produce when things are slow as well, sometimes live bait is just what they want. all just my 2 cents but I hope this helps out, good luck in the fall.

PMEmail Poster
Helpme
Posted: Sep 18, 2017 - 04:40 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5441

If it wasn't for you westarm there would very few responses to people's questions on the nippising forum. Thanks for all the help. Been noticing that a lot lately.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 19, 2017 - 09:00 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Helpme @ Sep 18, 2017 - 05:40 pm)
If it wasn't for you westarm there would very few responses to people's questions on the nippising forum. Thanks for all the help. Been noticing that a lot lately.

thanks boss! I try where I can. very nice comment and its appreciated!

I have also felt the frustration myself before and we all love fishing but lets face it catching is more fun than fishing. lol

PMEmail Poster
jms83
Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 06:34 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9775

Thanks for the help westarm! Busy time of year with the family has kept me away from the lake the last little while.

It has been a tough year, even in my small bay where our cottage is produces large mouth and Pike with consistency, but not this year. We've been here for 5 years now, and all our usual spots didn't produce at all. I grew up primarily going for bass as my dad always preferred the action of casting and the top water fight. Especially small mouth but they have eluded us so far on nipissing. Caught a few here and there but nothing of size.

I've never really learned how to fish deep other than bouncing a jig with a worm/gulp baits, or trolling a deep diver crank, and after the summer heat that's where I need to go! I'll try out your tips and I appreciate the help very much! We'll be taking our daughter out for a cruise today to see the last of the trees changing colors, maybe I can hook into something for her, a nice baby shark as she calls them! She's almost 2 and absolutely loves being outside here, especially being out on the boat.

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 07:52 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3999

Hi jms83.

For what it's worth...I was out a week ago....tried fishing the usual humps and shoals...nothing. I got thinking....if I were a fish and wanted to get from "A" to "B"...which route would I take?....so I started fishing the channels between the humps...i.e. the deep spots between two shallow spots.....and yes this was the key on that day....for about an hour my lines were on fire....ran out of worms actually.

Perhaps find a spot like that in the west arm and give it a shot? I am not saying it works everywhere....but heck...find a pattern that works for ya. Try oddball things....one never knows.

Good luck!

SKRAMO

PMEmail Poster
JordanR
Posted: Oct 14, 2017 - 07:17 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14322

hey, I do not fish your lake, but have had a bad season as well. Lots of musky fishing though. I have caught fish but did not figure out any patterns. And I felt like this season everytime i found time to fish the weather turned for the worse before the day i planned to fish. And this whole fall i have been so busy during the best time of year. Oh well, sometimes its better to just call it and start planning for ice fishing or next fishing season. Good luck though, things will get better !!!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace