Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is This Legal?
Woodenstiks
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 09:15 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 10202

Saw a boat the other night with a row of bright decorative ? lights on the outside hull with a couple guys fishing after dark. Wouldn't ordinarily pay any attention but these lights were bright. (see pic) . Is this legal to fish with lights like this on?

The second row of lights in the pic is the reflection off the water.....

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 09:35 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

if those lights were shining into the water to attract fish then I believe that is definitely NOT legal. I am not sure what kind of grey area this could bring but by rule in ontario that picture if they are fishing is illegal.

It is illegal to-

Use artificial lights to attract fish except:
to fish for smelt, or to fish for lake whitefish or lake herring with a dip net

if the light is part of a lure attached to a line used in angling.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 09:37 am

Adult Trout

or its a spacecraft from another world! either way its not cool!

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 09:40 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

Yup does not look kosher to me.

PMEmail Poster
rayray89
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 10:50 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6253

Could be something simple like a bunch of Wal-Mart LED strip lights .... maybe they do a lot of night fishing

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 11:04 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (rayray89 @ Sep 20, 2017 - 11:50 am)
Could be something simple like a bunch of Wal-Mart LED strip lights .... maybe they do a lot of night fishing

that's way more light than required to fish at night, its also shining directly at the water, a simple headlamp, flashlight or lantern is one thing but lighting up the water like that has clear intentions to me.

they are attracting bugs and baitfish which in turn will attract predator fish that is their intent almost positively that's why its not allowed unless something I am unaware of has changed?

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 11:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

if the light is part of a lure attached to a line used in angling

Crap. I bought a crankbait at dollarama that had a light that flashes red when you retrieve it. I will be removing that one from the tacklebox..

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 11:59 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (VBB @ Sep 20, 2017 - 12:56 pm)

Crap. I bought a crankbait at dollarama that had a light that flashes red when you retrieve it. I will be removing that one from the tacklebox..

VBB, that is an exception, leave it in your tacklebox its perfectly legal

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 12:04 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

QUOTE (westarm @ Sep 20, 2017 - 11:59 am)
QUOTE (VBB @ Sep 20, 2017 - 12:56 pm)

VBB, that is an exception, leave it in your tacklebox its perfectly legal

Lol alright then. Have yet to catch anything but pike on it thus far but never know.

PMEmail Poster
Woodenstiks
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 - 01:54 pm

Fry

Member No.: 10202

Yeah I don't think the lights were positioned to intentionally shine directly on the water but the brightness, light position on the outside of the hull and wide field of illumination from the lights ya gotta think fish could "see the light" . Only a moron would think otherwise. Hell I could see them a mile away.

Didn't look like they were up to no good though likely didn't know any better.....

PMEmail Poster
1aquaholic
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 04:00 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12970

Funny this was posted about. My friend just bought a new Monterey boat this season that has Blue LED lights from factory under the swim platform and in other places throughout the boat. This was an upgrade that cost him a couple grand. I asked him about the purpose and he said the guy at the marina where he bought it said fish are attracted more to blue light than other colours, clearly as a sales tactic to get him to bite on the upsell. I asked him if it was legal and neither of us were aware of the legalities of it but i'll be sure to tell my friend as well so he isn't breaking the law. nice sales pitch from the guy tho.. They do look pretty cool tho!! haha

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 07:53 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

Very common on salt water boats. I personally wouldn't do it, but the meat fishers wouldn't think twice about it.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace