Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> fishing thanksgiving weekend, awsome pike fishing
flugsy
Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 08:24 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 1707

Well blame it on the wet cool summer or the warm September, but the pike fishing was outstanding over the weekend. Walleye of course was the target fish as always for this weekend, but after a few hours trying it was plain to see that they just hadn't move in to were they should be(narrows, Calendar Bay). Sure, we caught fish, but nothing like the numbers that historically we expected. So out came the pike tackle and we hit the bays with great success. wherever there was weed, there was fish, and there was plenty of weed(water temp was 65 degrees on Monday). Two boats 5 fishing, 15 pike on Monday in about 6 hours, smallest maybe 6.5lbs, biggest nearly 14. Two lures accounted for all of them. Even Tuesday morning in the west wind, hit two more 8.5 and 6.5lbs. Did see one or two keeper walleye being caught, lots in the 17-18 inch returned. Weather was outstanding, scenery spectacular, hosts at Nanmark Lighthouse Resort accommodating as ever providing great accommodations and a wonderful thanksgiving dinner which was held out doors - thank to you and your family.

See you again in February

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 09:03 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

I agree the pike fishing was excellent over the weekend, but my smallest was more like a hammer handle and my biggest was the size of your smallest? lol, although I did manage to lose a BEAST due to being alone in the boat on Saturday. good job!

PMEmail Poster
flugsy
Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 06:45 am

Alevin

It was good to take fish home, we didn't get our limit but dam close to it, was able to transport home as per regulations, fillet off, inch of skin left on, finished cutting it up when got home. everybody I know loves to eat the pike, I don't think half of them know what they are eating, just that they enjoy it. So missing out on Walleye doesn't really bother me. We also cooked one up earlier on the weekend, shared it around - no complaints there. Nipissing is a great pike fishery.....

Does anyone else keep and cook pike - any recipes would be welcome.

One tip, if you do decide to take pike home, just keep the legal limit of skin on the meat, keep the rest in a separate bag if you must. I found that the flesh can be tainted if it comes in contact with the skid for any length of time.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 03:14 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (flugsy @ Oct 16, 2017 - 07:45 am)
It was good to take fish home, we didn't get our limit but dam close to it, was able to transport home as per regulations, fillet off, inch of skin left on, finished cutting it up when got home. everybody I know loves to eat the pike, I don't think half of them know what they are eating, just that they enjoy it. So missing out on Walleye doesn't really bother me. We also cooked one up  earlier on the weekend, shared it around - no complaints there. Nipissing is a great pike fishery.....

Does anyone else keep and cook pike - any recipes would be welcome.

One tip, if you do decide to take pike home, just keep the legal limit of skin on the meat, keep the rest in a separate bag if you must. I found that the flesh can be tainted if it comes in contact with the skid for any length of time.

we have tried frying with some onions, baking in the oven, fish crisp, cooking with potatoes. all with different spices etc. but for pike in my opinion, beer batter and deep fry!! simple and scrumptious!! no need to do anything fancier than that. my fave! I cant tell the diff between it and walleye or fish and chips at the store, its excellent. deepfried with vinegar and salt!! I do have a little dip a friend of mine showed me how to make that goes great with it as well, 1/3 mayo 1/3 mustard 1/3 red hot

PMEmail Poster
flugsy
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 11:10 am

Alevin

couldn't have said it better myself, that's all I ever do. Once you know how to fillet properly, there's plenty of fish to go round(more bang for your buck). I use a tempura batter with beer or ginger ale as opposed to water, if I want the batter thicker I add crashed cornflakes. ....

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace