Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice fishing, Yes I know it's early
deerhunter
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 11:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10322

That is what I love to hear... i.e. "We are in for a stellar ice fishing season". Mother Nature bring it on!

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 07:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Weather net was talking about the polar vortex possibly coming again.

PM
Fishchaser67
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 08:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Nov 29, 2017 - 07:02 am)

Bring it on...all geard up and ready to go ...

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 11:45 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6517

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Nov 29, 2017 - 08:02 am)

It is a weaker one then the one in November so it won't get as cold as it was in Nov.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 01:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10851

QUOTE (fishfood @ Nov 30, 2017 - 11:45 am)

It is a weaker one then the one in November so it won't get as cold as it was in Nov.

Um, Ya it will. Just cause the vortex isn't as strong does not equal warmer temps, There are many factors that cause colder climates, the position of the earth compared to the sun makes a more extreme angle causing less sun rays to hit, over a larger area. There are also many more factors, including the La Nina that just hit this week, as its starting up, which wasn't a factor in November. I can guarantee December will be colder then November. Whether or not itll be cold enough for ice fishing, that, I cant say.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 07:23 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

PM
fishfood
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 - 09:03 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Kier @ Nov 30, 2017 - 02:20 pm)

Um, Ya it will. Just cause the vortex isn't as strong does not equal warmer temps, There are many factors that cause colder climates, the position of the earth compared to the sun makes a more extreme angle causing less sun rays to hit, over a larger area. There are also many more factors, including the La Nina that just hit this week, as its starting up, which wasn't a factor in November. I can guarantee December will be colder then November. Whether or not itll be cold enough for ice fishing, that, I cant say.

The one in November went to minus 18 over night and was short lived . We will be lucky if we see minus 10 to 12 with an average of minus 7 over night. This one might last a little longer but won't be as cold as it was in November during the vortex...

Only plus side to the one now is when it leaves we will see seasonal temps witch will still make ice with low winds.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 01, 2017 - 11:12 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Again, no worries , Ice is coming for sure

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kier
Posted: Dec 08, 2017 - 11:06 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishfood @ Nov 30, 2017 - 09:03 pm)

The one in November went to minus 18 over night and was short lived . We will be lucky if we see minus 10 to 12 with an average of minus 7 over night. This one might last a little longer but won't be as cold as it was in November during the vortex...

Only plus side to the one now is when it leaves we will see seasonal temps witch will still make ice with low winds.

Don't wanna say I told you so, but I told you so. Colder then November, coming up (-23 Saturday). I'm majoring in environmental science, weather, is a big part of my course.

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Dec 08, 2017 - 11:40 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Kier @ Dec 09, 2017 - 12:06 am)
QUOTE (fishfood @ Nov 30, 2017 - 09:03 pm)

Don't wanna say I told you so, but I told you so. Colder then November, coming up (-23 Saturday). I'm majoring in environmental science, weather, is a big part of my course.

It's better this way lol.

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 12:09 am

Lunker Trout

Ps it's not supposed to as cold where I am lol. Simcoe showing -15
November we -17

On a plus note there is more snow closer to Florida then we have on simcoe. weather.

What do you think about the great lakes not freezig over?. I think they are wrong and will have more ice coverage than their predictions.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 11:48 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishfood @ Dec 09, 2017 - 12:09 am)
November we -17

On a plus note there is more snow closer to Florida then we have on simcoe. weather.

What do you think about the great lakes not freezig over?. I think they are wrong and will have more ice coverage than their predictions.

I'm not quite sure about that, will have to wait and see, if they done freeze, southern Ontario is going to get battered with snow from them. The more frozen they are, the less lake effect snow youll see. Less snow = better for ice formation inland, like simcoe. Should be a good year on simcoe I'm predicting anyways, Id guess by Christmas people will be walking cooks bay from what Ive observed in the weather. Cooch maybe sooner.

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 12:09 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Kier @ Dec 09, 2017 - 12:48 pm)
November we -17

On a plus note there is more snow closer to Florida then we have on simcoe.      weather.

I'm not quite sure about that, will have to wait and see, if they done freeze, southern Ontario is going to get battered with snow from them. The more frozen they are, the less lake effect snow youll see. Less snow = better for ice formation inland, like simcoe. Should be a good year on simcoe I'm predicting anyways, Id guess by Christmas people will be walking cooks bay from what Ive observed in the weather. Cooch maybe sooner.

I hate lake effect snow. I watch the weather daily 365 days a year probably more then some weather focasters.

I'm Thinking with the cold a month sooner should help tighten up some of the great lakes. Hoping by the end of January the lake effect snows will stay away from my area. Where it stands anything over the 25 km with the right direction we get it.

But I guess we will see what happens in the next 3 weeks that will tell us a bit more.

PMEmail Poster
Kier
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 01:54 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (fishfood @ Dec 09, 2017 - 12:09 pm)
QUOTE (Kier @ Dec 09, 2017 - 12:48 pm)
November we -17

I hate lake effect snow. I watch the weather daily 365 days a year probably more then some weather focasters.

I'm Thinking with the cold a month sooner should help tighten up some of the great lakes. Hoping by the end of January the lake effect snows will stay away from my area. Where it stands anything over the 25 km with the right direction we get it.

But I guess we will see what happens in the next 3 weeks that will tell us a bit more.

The great lakes freezing will depend also a lot on what there temperatures are heading into the winter, but with there size, and the amount of variables, its pretty hard to tell. Honestly, I'm no where near advanced enough yet in my course to be making assumptions on something of that magnitude. And with weather, everything's just an educated guess really, stuff can change so fast, as you can tell by how wrong weather forecasts are all the time. Although I'm the opposite of you, I love snow, and I'm sure ill see a lot of it being out here in the Maritimes this year, the more snow the better lol

PMEmail Poster
fishfood
Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 02:09 pm

Lunker Trout

I like the snow as well. But it'better predicted when the lake effect shuts down. only the system snow to worry about not because wind

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace