Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Smoking salmon tips
dmorrs35
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 09:58 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Hey Guys,

Ive been fishing the salmon run in the local area and ive already caught more fish this year than all of last year (1st year fishing and didn't know what I was doing and missed the main part of the run, only fished the tail end last year)

Anyway, in fishing the run, I had a salmon die on me during the fight before I could even land it. I tried my best to revive it but it was already dead.

anyway, not wanting to waste the fish, I figured id try smoking it in my dad's old smoker he has had for 30 years without use. I have never smoked anything before. It was about a 14-15 pound female that died on me. I filleted it (kept the eggs obviously but there were so many I gave half of them away to a buddy since I wont use that many). each fillet was about 3-3.5 pounds which I cut into 7-8 steaks. It is currently brining in my fridge at home. Just wondering how long I should smoke it for, and how to really tell that it is thoroughly finished.

Again, I am fishing the salmon run for the sheer enjoyment of seeing these magnificent beasts swim through and admiring their strength and abilities, and hoping to hook up on a big fish. I had 0 intentions of killing one, it just happened. The fish was not too dark and the meat looked ok/ tasted ok when I cut a sliver off of a fillet and fried it without any oil or butter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. the smoker we have is "big chief" not sure which model but I attached a pic i found online below.

Thanks in advance,

dave (dmorrs)

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 12:18 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4441

I'm no expert on smoking, but I'm sure someone will help you out. Just wanted to point out, that you don't need to be apologetic for keeping a legally caught fish. Most people don't keep salmon out of the river purely because they are concerned about the quality of meat.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 12:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Idub, I get what you are saying. im more apologetic to the fish, that it died on me after such an amazing fight. it fought harder than the 28lb male I landed. I don't like keeping too many fish other than a few perch in the winter and some bluegill in the summer. I know it happens, that fish die on you, and not having had a bigger fish like a salmon or muskie die on me thus far it sucked. im just hoping I can get a proper smoking job on it so it doesn't go to waste.

again, Ive heard everything about the meat from "only keeping males" to "not keeping bigger fish" to "only keeping females" to "not keeping anything" and the only way to know is to try it yourself and a fish that died in the fight is a good test subject I guess.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 03:35 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

pulled this from another site

The following workes out to an average size side of salmon from the super store (or others like it) for a $20 flank.

I get a 450 or 500ML bottle of soy sauce and put it in a large pot.
Add 1L of water
100ML of Honey
4 or 5 table spoons of VH brand "sweet chili Thai"
either a had full of hot pepper rings or 2 small jalapeno peppers (cut to rings)
Let simmer but not boil.
Cool and then put fish in a container with enough brine to cover and the rest goes into a spray bottle.
Let fish sit in the brine for 24 hours in the fridge.
heat smoker and get the smoke going and add fish at 180 to 200* C
The wood chips I soak for 12 to 24 hours too and when I do fish it's 1/2 apple and 1/2 black cherry. with my propane smoker I'm done in 2 to 3.5 hrs depending on the thickness of the meat. I open the door from time to time to make sure the smoke is going good and when I do this I give the fish a little squirt/spray/mist of the brine I made (prior to the fish going in it, I keep some aside as mentioned before) so the meat is moist and has a lot of ALL flavors used.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 03:41 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

Google

How to make smoked salmon Indian candy

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 03:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

I do pretty much what Rhybak does except for one small adjustment. After the brining i hang the fillets in this cage that i have that bugs won't get into and air the fillets before smoking for about 6 hours. Rhybak is spot on though.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 07:18 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

We smoke meat, not fish though. I'm C&R.

We do use a digital temperature probe and go by the guidelines for different types of meat to be sure it's properly cooked.

Smoking meat is an enjoyable experience. The wifey and I tend to drink a tad during it all.

Let us know how it goes.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 08:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I now have a Bradley Smoker, but for years I used the smaller Luhr Jensen " Little Chief"

Main problem with the "Chiefs" is no thermometer so you do not know how hot it is in the smoker. Fish always turns out better if the temp increases slowly over an extended period.

Brine the fish for 8 hours or overnight. After you brine your fish, take it from the brine and wash it in cold running water. Place it on the oiled racks of your smoker and let it air dry for 1 hour before you put it in the smoker.
Use about 4 pans of woodchips over 8 hours and things should turn out ok.
Do not keep opening the smoker as you loose all the heat every time you do.

I found the LC to be easily influenced by the outside temperature and it did not like to be in wind. So be guided accordingly.

My recipe for Indian Candy is on the Forum under Recipes. If you search under my name, you will find pictures of some of fish I have smoked in the past.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
IFH
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 03:45 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 4919

I was given some salmon a few years ago.I found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esqruLp8Q-0 followed his instructions, the recipe is simple and it turned out great.

PMEmail Poster
wishin fishin
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 09:36 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7314

I consider myself a smoker turkey, fish, cheese etc.

I like rubs...

mix 1/2 cup of both pickling salt and dark brown sugar

rub liberally on the filets but make sure the filets are on a metal tray tilted so the juice flows away from the meat. let set at rm temp for 6-hrs or less depending on size.

wash off and let dry at rm. temp for 2-3 hrs (should see a sheen)

apple woods chunks should have soaked for 48-hrs or longer.

start charcoal via a chimney (no starter) when white hot pour into smoker (don't like electric) and add wet chunks.

I use a water pan with water, seasonings and wine and use an indirect heat especially for fish/cheese.

smoke will be dense again, depending on size 2-3 hrs. - check thickest meat section for doneses .

smoking is an art and goes with fall, everybody comes back for seconds.

HELP - I've been on the hunt for white fish WHEEEEEERE & wheeeeen?

good luck

PMEmail Poster
4Perch
Posted: Oct 04, 2017 - 07:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7313

Dmorrs I sent you a PM

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 12:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Hey guys,

thank you for your tips, I smoked the fish and tried a small piece. absolutely delicious and I did not have any ill effects considering it was a running female salmon. It did have much more of a smokey hickory taste to it, with a hint of salmon. almost tasted like a non-salted hickory stick. Really enjoyed it. but I wont eat too much simply because it is a Lake O fish...

Dmorrs35 (dave)

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace