Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> keeping your catch, trout
eggguy
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 - 07:49 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9473

Hi everyone

I have a question for everyone on here I know the limit is 2 rainbow and 5 salmon but do you have to keep all of what you catch no I feel keep 1 let the others go back if they are hooked on the lip pop it out hooked deep cut the line what do you think I fish with three other guys and in the last 3 years we have had over 300 to shore and let over 250 go back .

PMEmail Poster
zuperalexu
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 - 09:17 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7874

As far as I know you need to keep all the fish you catch ... Doesn't matter the number. Some people like to use a grinder so you need lots of fish for that.

PMEmail Poster
pandakiller
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 - 09:55 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13176

QUOTE (zuperalexu @ Apr 13, 2018 - 09:17 pm)
As far as I know you need to keep all the fish you catch ... Doesn't matter the number. Some people like to use a grinder so you need lots of fish for that.

that answer sounds kinda fishy imo

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 12:42 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

You question is a question of ethics and sustainability.

You and your buddies have let a ton of fish go but have kept some also. In the last 3 years you are saying you and your three buddies have kept about 50 fish. So about 4.16 per person each year.

I go with my father and daughter to Ontario rivers and we keep about 6 between us per year. 2 per person average.

In my world I would say you and your buddies are very reasonable and responsible but some may not feel that way. I am sure 4 fish a year to some would be way to much and they would tell you to release more. Then again lots of people keep more than that.

My point is ethics are a personal thing. All we can do is try to support our local laws or long to change them. We must continue to educate others in a kind reasonable manner to be responsible.

I feel the more fish you catch the more you release. Most people who catch very few on occasion keep them as itís a moral victory that they have caught a fish. I know when I was a kid learning I kept way more per year because it was so rare I caught one at all. If I caught 8 a year I kept them as it took me all year to catch those 8. Now I catch to many to count and my reasoning for keeping a fish has changed. It is not a victory any more but a choice of harvest.

We can debate our personal ethics for catch and release but what we really need is a tag system so we each only can keep a responsible number of fish and personal ethics can be left out of the hole mess. This would also alleviate anyone on the river giving the stink eye to someone keeping a fish.

Just my opinion of course.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 07:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

You sound like a POACHER !!!!

Doesnít matter the number ....WTF

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 07:31 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Very well said disco, i agree, a tag system is a great idea

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 08:26 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

QUOTE (Fishsniffer @ Apr 15, 2018 - 07:29 am)

You sound like a POACHER !!!!

Doesnít matter the number ....WTF

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, but i've been wrong before. The original post is kinda odd or not worded properly imo.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 08:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (oogie8 @ Apr 15, 2018 - 07:31 am)
Very well said disco, i agree, a tag system is a great idea

Why a tag system, we already have catch and possession rules, someone trying to reinvent the wheel again. If I catch more, I release more , when I go and fish I catch them to eat them, not drag some fish around on a line, poke holes in their face and then let them go.

PM
CousinHippy
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

With a tag system you aren't allowed to release any fish just what you catch is what you get? And what happens if you pull up a type of fish you don't have a tag for and it is mortally hooked? I think it would finally get the mnrf some much needed frontline funding they are currently lacking but it would be at our expense. Not sure how to word that since it's all at our expense anyway...

PMEmail Poster
rabbitfoot3
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:15 am

Fry

Member No.: 9249

There are human beings that are stupid, ignorant, assholes and simple arm pits !!!!!! You have all seen them...from garbage litter to total non concern about anyone or our natural resources...These people are likely NEVER to change the way they are.....Suspended sentences or small fines or a slap on the wrist give them the opportunity to do it over and over again. Too many "I feel sorry for them"...."Give them another chance".....bullshit.....Slam as hard as you can on their first offense....Have a car with you, it's gone....commit the crime, pay the stiffest fine....If there is a second offense, a max jail term is the price !!!!! As a society we feel that people need a 2nd, 3rd chance...But the simple truth is, if you stupid enough to do the first time....you are likely to do again and again....So make sure the first time REALLY HURTS !!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:17 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 10:01 am)
With a tag system you aren't allowed to release any fish just what you catch is what you get?

Not necessarily. It depends once again on the regs.

PMEmail Poster
CousinHippy
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:24 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 09:17 am)
QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 10:01 am)
With a tag system you aren't allowed to release any fish just what you catch is what you get?

Not necessarily. It depends once again on the regs.

Then you are just pulling a bunch of fish around on a line making holes in their mouth and letting them go not fishing for only what you are going to eat within your tag limits as suggested earlier.

PMEmail Poster
rabbitfoot3
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:28 am

Fry

Member No.: 9249

Hi....reg who ????? Your answer is exactly the problem !!!!!

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 10:41 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9514

#1 The price of licenses need to be increased. Buying a sports fishing license is really cheap when you consider other recreational activities. More cash flow equals more officers....if money is managed correctly.

#2 Water bodies should be placed on a rotational system of rest.

#3 Heavy fines and loss of license for fishing offenses and littering. No exceptions.

#4 Education on the importance of conservation.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 11:02 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

I think that fishing licenses are expensive enough, raise the price and less people will buy one, if anything the price should go down. Think about it,there are people like us who fish regularly, so the price seems fair or low, but there are plenty of people that fish once a year, or get invited on a friends boat out of the blue and need to buy a license. The money could be made up, by better enforcement and the money from fines should go directly back to the resource. Unfortunately we all know everybody has their hand out trying to get that money. As far as rotating lakes, sounds simple unless you make a living off fishing on any given lake, years when you lake is affected would put you out of business. imo

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace