Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> keeping your catch, trout
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 11:49 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 877

QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 10:24 am)
QUOTE (Knuguy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 09:17 am)
QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Apr 15, 2018 - 10:01 am)
With a tag system you aren't allowed to release any fish just what you catch is what you get?

Not necessarily. It depends once again on the regs.

Then you are just pulling a bunch of fish around on a line making holes in their mouth and letting them go not fishing for only what you are going to eat within your tag limits as suggested earlier.

Once again, not necessarily. The regs could easily state that fish are to be released right away.

PMEmail Poster
zuperalexu
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 03:29 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7874

QUOTE (darkhorse @ Apr 15, 2018 - 10:41 am)
#1 The price of licenses need to be increased. Buying a sports fishing license is really cheap when you consider other recreational activities. More cash flow equals more officers....if money is managed correctly.

#2 Water bodies should be placed on a rotational system of rest.

#3 Heavy fines and loss of license for fishing offenses and littering. No exceptions.

#4 Education on the importance of conservation.

I definitely agree that the license price should be increased.

I pay more on gas every time I go out than the sports license for a year.

My initial post was sarcasm in case some previous posters did not realize...

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 03:41 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9514

QUOTE (ldub @ Apr 15, 2018 - 11:02 am)
I think that fishing licenses are expensive enough, raise the price and less people will buy one, if anything the price should go down. Think about it,there are people like us who fish regularly, so the price seems fair or low, but there are plenty of people that fish once a year, or get invited on a friends boat out of the blue and need to buy a license. The money could be made up, by better enforcement and the money from fines should go directly back to the resource. Unfortunately we all know everybody has their hand out trying to get that money. As far as rotating lakes, sounds simple unless you make a living off fishing on any given lake, years when you lake is affected would put you out of business. imo

Very interesting points!

Avid golfers don't feel bad for me when I pay 100 dollars for a round of golf...and anglers are dealing with mother nature and conservation. I pay more in a month for my gym membership...and I don't even like using it! I struggle with feeling bad for recreational anglers who will only fish once or twice. I think we have to take our sport seriously.

You are one hundred percent right about money not being allocated correctly If we pay more for our licenses, we need to know that the money is being put into good use. I want to see more CO's out there.

Given all of the rules and regulations in place on Nipissing, did the Winter business for outfitters struggle? Are people still going to fish the lake and visit cottages this summer? I think we have to differentiate commercial from recreational fishing.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 04:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Another point, I'd add regarding keeping the fishing license at a low price is, it keeps the sport of fishing affordable to more people. The more people that buy a license the more attention your sport gets, politicians cater to the masses or at least should. You have to remember fishing is a sport of extremes, from taking your kid to the local pond for some sunfish to taking your $50,000 rig out on Lake Ontario for salmon. You can literally go fishing within a few miles of any point in Ontario, and Ontario is huge. Golf courses are privately owned business that like any business look to maximize profit, and they got you by the b$lls so to speak, because you buddies homemade course in his backyard isn't too great. Unless there is heavy drinking involved and then it's pretty awesome lol. Just saying I think we all pay too much in Ontario for most things, I don't love the idea of paying more for what I consider something everybody should be doing. Look at hockey most people can't afford to put their kid(s) in hockey, and it's considered our national sport, it's sad really.

PMEmail Poster
John 59
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 04:46 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14992

I agree with keeping the price of liecenses low to get more people in the sport, the government will get there money from the tax on all the fishing gear that will be bought.
The break down of were the money goes from liecences is in the regs.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 05:07 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (ldub @ Apr 15, 2018 - 04:28 pm)
Another point, I'd add regarding keeping the fishing license at a low price is, it keeps the sport of fishing affordable to more people. The more people that buy a license the more attention your sport gets, politicians cater to the masses or at least should. You have to remember fishing is a sport of extremes, from taking your kid to the local pond for some sunfish to taking your $50,000 rig out on Lake Ontario for salmon. You can literally go fishing within a few miles of any point in Ontario, and Ontario is huge. Golf courses are privately owned business that like any business look to maximize profit, and they got you by the b$lls so to speak, because you buddies homemade course in his backyard isn't too great. Unless there is heavy drinking involved and then it's pretty awesome lol. Just saying I think we all pay too much in Ontario for most things, I don't love the idea of paying more for what I consider something everybody should be doing. Look at hockey most people can't afford to put their kid(s) in hockey, and it's considered our national sport, it's sad really.

You are right. Everyone should have access to this beautiful hobby we call fishing. I think we are taxed high enough as it is in Ontario. We need to involve the younger generation in this sport...but also show them the right way.

However, if we don't find a way to generate revenue, we will be having the same old debates on fishing forums about lakes being over-fished, people abusing the system, and not enough CO's. If people think the problem is bad now...wait until the population continues to increase.

Licenses are dirt cheap really. What else can you do in Ontario for a whole year that is cheaper? I can't think of anything.

There has to be a balance.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 05:09 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (John 59 @ Apr 15, 2018 - 04:46 pm)
I agree with keeping the price of liecenses low to get more people in the sport, the government will get there money from the tax on all the fishing gear that will be bought.
The break down of were the money goes from liecences is in the regs.

Unfortunately John, I fear that fishing gear taxes most likely go back into the government coffers. It doesn't transfer back into the MNR.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 05:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Like said earlier, the money made from fishing licenses is peanuts compared to the taxes on fishing equipment, boats, gas. Jobs are created, businesses connected to fishing, how many people work at bass pro, all the other fishing related businesses, resorts. No one would drive 20 hours up north in June, if the fishing wasn't spectacular. It's one sport that brings Americans here to spend their American dollars. Most people I know that fish occasionally can't even catch rock bass much less clean out the rainbow trout population.

PMEmail Poster
CousinHippy
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 06:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

I need to go fishing with your occasional fishing buddies. I wish I was unable to catch rock bass. Can't get my hook past them to get to the smallies most of the time!

PMEmail Poster
swiftdeer
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 07:04 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11020

A rotational lake would also take away the ability to fish if the individual has a cottage in a certain area and only fishes from a kayak or shore. This would also add increased pressures on nearby lakes if one lake is 'closed'. Might as well just shut down the winter fishing season- that will give lakes the rest you are talking about.

PMEmail Poster
thornz
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 03:15 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15496

There will always be poachers. Problem is not the license prices. we pay alot of taxes already and that tax we pay doesn't go into a pot like you think to be used for the purpose of this sport. Better understanding will help everyone see what's really happening. What you will be doing eventually is adding more restrictions on the abiding fisherman that follow the rules.

This post has been edited by thornz on Apr 17, 2018 - 04:29 pm

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 04:35 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

Well here is a point for controversy but I am for raising license fees.

I for one miss the days I could at least find a bit of elbow room on the rivers and short lines at the ramps. Yes the ever decreasing access is part of the issue but that too is partly because of the issuesís noted below.

Maybe raising the price of a license to fish would deter some of the go out and fish a couple times a year. The individuals I am talking about are the ones that ignor catch limits, disrespect property, and litter the environment.

I do understand that many do not have the income to pay a lot more but I bet these same people who say they canít afford a license increase would quickly spend money on new gear that likely costs more than a license.

Please note I am not pointing fingers at any one ethnic group as these are issues that relate to all groups and affect all of us negatively.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 06:42 pm

Smolt Trout

The thought on a rotational system is to not close down a lake completely. However, to make the lake strictly catch and release for a given time period. I'm not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination. Would this work? I don't know. Maybe the results would be marginal. But logic tells me that it wouldn't hurt a fishery.

Of course jobs are created through the fishing industry. However, when fishing gear is taxed, I don't believe those taxes are going directly into the MNR pot. My thoughts on a license increase would be to ensure that extra money is funneled right into the MNR's pocket.

Economies are based on product. If a lake is facing heavy pressure, they are going to suffer economically in the long run. Cottage owners and resorts should be advocates for outstanding fisheries. Nobody wants to fish and spend money on a fished out lake.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 12:34 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

Wow
Was this thread ever high jacked.
Nothing....but nothing to do with the original question.

My response to the original question.
Non of your god damn business whether somebody keeps his limit or not.
Regulations are set to legally keep a set limit and it is none of your business to tell anybody anything different.
You want to only take one home, that is your choice.

You would not have any right to tell anybody or even question anybody as to why they kept so many fish.

If you feel different, go join PETA and really try to voice your thought to people that will listen.

PMEmail Poster
jmah
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 01:45 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10488

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace