Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> causeway live baits, new management
wishing to go fishing
Posted: Jan 03, 2015 - 09:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7566

So for all folks that fish scugog you probably know Dave the bait shop owner. He's a great guy, when I walk in he always says good morning and shakes my hand, then he tells me the ice conditions and where the hotspots are and he even tells me what baits to use or what kind of minniow. Now that is great service, everyone who goes to that bait shop becomes good friends with the guy. I also enjoy his shop because its very well organized and he has everything one could ask for. Also he gives you a great deal on minnows like if you ask for a dozen he gives you a big scoop that has probably 30. All in all a great guy that is focused on the fishing community. Last time I was at the bait store he told me he was selling it to one of his friends and getting into the minnow business. When he told me I was kinda sad that he wasnt gonna be there to give me some confidence on those early mornings, but I knew the guy he was selling it to and hes a good guy who knew a lot about fishing and Dave said that he would be hanging around the bait shop to supply minnows so I thought a well the bait shop will still be in good hands. Apparently not as I went there yesterday. All I can say is that I'm very disappointed and confused to what happened to dave and his friend does anybody know anything??

This post has been edited by nsfisher on Jan 04, 2015 - 07:26 pm

PMEmail Poster
wishing to go fishing
Posted: Jan 03, 2015 - 09:18 pm

Smolt Trout

That shop is gonna go down hill that's just my 2 cents

PMEmail Poster
fisherboy
Posted: Jan 03, 2015 - 10:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7114

Dave was a great guy and his shop did really well last year, i went in in October and that other guys you saw today was working there and he knew nothing and only gave me 10 minnows instead of 12 its really sad to here Dave's gone i hope his friend takes over, i guess this is also the end of the causeway ice fishing Derby too

PMEmail Poster
wishing to go fishing
Posted: Jan 03, 2015 - 10:27 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (fisherboy @ Jan 03, 2015 - 10:05 pm)
Dave was a great guy and his shop did really well last year, i went in in October and that other guys you saw today was working there and he knew nothing and only gave me 10 minnows instead of 12 its really sad to here Dave's gone i hope his friend takes over, i guess this is also the end of the causeway ice fishing Derby too

Ya that's another thing thats gonna be disappointing I loved those little Derbys he put together even if they were small events they grew over the years and they were great!

PMEmail Poster
PrayforCold
Posted: Jan 03, 2015 - 11:21 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7499

Darn, Causeway is the only bait place we know of near where we ice fish on the bog(Port Perry), are there any others so close to the lake? Or is it best to just go to Causeway and take the chances?

PMEmail Poster
Ptboguy
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 06:09 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7366

Where you come from pray for ice ? There are minnows at bewdley bj tackle great guy and kawartha lakes bait in lindsay really good guy

PMEmail Poster
wishing to go fishing
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 07:48 am

Smolt Trout

Pray, for actual bait shops causeway is the one if your fishing the gog but every lake has there bait shops so it just depends where you come from. Also I think goreskis sells minnows in the winter but I could be wrong. The hut operators have minnows but I'm not sure if you can actually buy them off them

PMEmail Poster
jimrrr
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 09:27 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2616

I was there yesterday was definitely not the same as last year not very helpful no one in the shop had to ring the bell then a younger girl came out to help didn't know anything. if any one catching? how much ice ? nothing the drive was crazy should have taken 2 hours but really took 4 with the crappie weather got there about 4:30 fished for an hour not a bite and pouring rain it was a bust

PMEmail Poster
Taz2000
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 12:28 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5143

Dave was a great guy and always helpful. When he told us he was selling we were all very sad but hopeful as he told us the new guy knew his stuff.

I hope this was a one time incident and not the new norm.

Guess we'll have to see what the season brings. Hopefully it gets better

PMEmail Poster
Wallybassman
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 04:30 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 7838

The one positive thing I can say about the new owner is he claims to be open 24/7. I've bought minnows off him in the middle of the night with no problem.

PMEmail Poster
EJ_B
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 04:44 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7039

Ya it's a bummer when you go into a store and know more than the owner does..

PMEmail Poster
PrayforCold
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 06:14 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Ptboguy @ Jan 04, 2015 - 06:09 am)
Where you come from pray for ice ? There are minnows at bewdley bj tackle great guy and kawartha lakes bait in lindsay really good guy

We're out of St.Catharines, about 1 hr 30 mins to Scugog, we walk out from the Port Perry marina

PMEmail Poster
PrayforCold
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 06:15 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (wishing to go fishing @ Jan 04, 2015 - 07:48 am)
Pray, for actual bait shops causeway is the one if your fishing the gog but every lake has there bait shops so it just depends where you come from. Also I think goreskis sells minnows in the winter but I could be wrong. The hut operators have minnows but I'm not sure if you can actually buy them off them

Thank you for the info

PMEmail Poster
jimrrr
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 06:52 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2616

prayforcold I drove from beamsville yesterday it took over 4 hours in the storm I should have turned around after the skyway

PMEmail Poster
PrayforCold
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 - 07:20 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (jimrrr @ Jan 04, 2015 - 06:52 pm)
prayforcold I drove from beamsville yesterday it took over 4 hours in the storm I should have turned around after the skyway

Wow that is unfortunate, we actually left from Beamsville too when we went up to Scugog last and an hour and a half/hr and 45mins is all it took, no storm that day.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace