Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> rainbow trout wahoo
breakwater
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 09:15 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 7234

What is a rainbow trout wahoo? I have heard of fishermen occasionally catching them and have searched the internet for information without getting a clear explanation and I might have even hooked and lost one last weekend. How did it get the name wahoo? Thanks in advance for any info.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 09:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

Never heard of it!

Some years ago a "Skamania" strain of rainbow was stocked into Lake Huron and they were a very athletic and spectacular fish to catch. Lots of leaping and jumping. The "Wahoo" is an ocean fish and I believe it is also known for it's spectacular fight. Perhaps people are comparing the Skamania to a Wahoo?

I've only ever caught one and that was 5 or more years ago.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 09:43 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Indian pen fish. Guys call em wahoos for some reason. They aren't native and inhabit Georgian Bay when nets mysteriously break.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 01:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

Not sure but I can put it in a sentence.

Look , I caught a Rainbow Trout, Wahoo.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 01:52 pm

Trophy Trout

Seriously, I never heard that term.

Pen fish escapees are called " CROAKERS"

Don't know where the term Wahoo came from

PMEmail Poster
12footspringbok
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 02:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 245

I haven't heard the term Wahoo for a long time, but yes they were pen escapees.
Now I don't know why people still call them "croakers" when they haven't farmed fish or had escapees from Cape Croaker for well over 10 years. Maybe they should start calling them Parry Sounders or Manitouliners because that's where any of the escapees come from these days....

PMEmail Poster
KJF
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 08:29 pm

Fry

Member No.: 2567

Wahoo is what we called them back in the early 90's, nice fish and with very red meat.
Use to catch them at Owen Sound, Meaford and Thornbury, jigging in the spring.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: May 24, 2017 - 10:42 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

Used to catch em full of eggs in the fall on the beaver also. Been a long time though!

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: May 25, 2017 - 10:51 am

Trophy Trout

Yah, to be honest , before I even heard the term Croakers I used to just call them Escapees.

I really didn't care what they were called. I just liked the fight and taste.

Name had no effect.

PMEmail Poster
breakwater
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 10:49 am

Fry

Well, I think that I finally caught one. Caught while casting from a Southern Georgian Bay shore last Saturday mid afternoon on an orange and gold spoon. Was 11.5 pounds. A friend told me that it was a Wahoo when he saw the picture. Don't know why the football shape and small head. If anybody can give me some insight as to its shape, it would be appreciated. Gave it away to some friends who enjoy fish so don't know what it is like to eat. Within the next hour of catching this one, landed and released 2 more rainbows which were regular shaped in the 5-6 pound range and lost the last one after about 5 seconds. There must have been a school passing by.

PMEmail Poster
breakwater
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 10:54 am

Fry

Tried to attach a picture but it didn't go the first time. Trying again.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Originalfive
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 11:02 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10835

Always fun catching those football rainbows as I always call em back in the days. I know those fishes are still around but I don't fish Georgian bay that much anymore

PM
steelheader
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 04:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (breakwater @ Jun 26, 2018 - 10:54 am)
Tried to attach a picture but it didn't go the first time. Trying again.

Breakwater, PM sent

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 05:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (breakwater @ Jun 26, 2018 - 10:49 am)
Well, I think that I finally caught one. Caught while casting from a Southern Georgian Bay shore last Saturday mid afternoon on an orange and gold spoon. Was 11.5 pounds. A friend told me that it was a Wahoo when he saw the picture. Don't know why the football shape and small head. If anybody can give me some insight as to its shape, it would be appreciated. Gave it away to some friends who enjoy fish so don't know what it is like to eat. Within the next hour of catching this one, landed and released 2 more rainbows which were regular shaped in the 5-6 pound range and lost the last one after about 5 seconds. There must have been a school passing by.

They're fine to eat, nice red meat, you just have to pick out the food colouring and anitbiotics.

PM
Disco
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 - 06:34 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

Interesting. Food colouring is not used. I thought this for quite some time. What is in Their food to cause the Red meat is a ingredient called astaxanthin. This can be naturally sourced or synthetic. Naturally astaxanthin occurs in crustaceans.

Here is a pic of some wild trout I caught up north. Looks like farmed meat but itís not. The diet of the fish here is pretty much pure chronomids and insects. Little to no bait fish in the lake I catch these from.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace