Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sunday Funday Chemong Report, Tindle bay/main lake to horseshoe island
dmorrs35
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 12:53 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Hey guys,

I posted last week asking about ice quality.

I got out yesterday at 6am and off at 8pm.

Ice Report: walking out from the access point on Tindle Bay Road (a summer public beach that does not allow access to water for boats etc. I walked out 60m or so and found 9" of solid black ice with about half an inch of snow on top. it was consistent all the way out to the middle of the lake and south to horseshoe island. the smaller island just north of it had open water for what I saw looked to be about the first 5 or so feet surrounding it. everywhere that I drilled was between 6-15 fow. That being said, the ice was VERY noisy today and I could hear it starting to crack up and bend. before the sun came up the ice was quiet but after sunrise, it was a concert. I WILL NOT BE ICE FISHING ANY MORE THIS WINTER. it was concerning me a bit at the beginning, due to inexperience of late ice. the access point that I went to was 100% frozen solid. I spudded hard the whole way out and drilled a ton of holes. 9" right across.

Day of fishing. most action ive had all winter. I caught everything in the lake except for a catfish or a muskie haha. (anything other than perch/bluegill was incidental) I walked away at the end of the day with 8 good bluegills and 3 9" perch. the perch were biting all day long except the 10 minutes before hooking into the incidentals.

9 am: depth finder was lit up from 13fow right up to 7. my bait could not get down to the bottom without getting picked up by a hungry mouth. then the screen went blank. a larger mark appeared from the bottom and came up to my bait at 10'. it went back down to sit on the bottom. I lowered my bait to jig off the bottom to bring the panfish back in then all of a sudden, WHACK! my rod is bent right over with 2lb test. "this is no perch or gill" quickly loosened my drag and after 6 minutes, a toothy mouth came out of the hole. 16" walleye (measured with the width of my hole being 8" across and this was double that)quickly unhooked and released.

noon: steady hot action from the walleye caught right till the next predator. same thing as before. screen one second is lit up, next second blank. nothing showed up on my screen at all. I dropped my bait to the bottom to bounce in the dirty whena mark shot up to 10 fow and just obliterated my poor tungsten jig and immediately started peeling line. slowly and carefully brought it back to my hole before it took off again. and again, and again and again. took me 6 minutes to bring it in (again using 2lb test and ultralight rod). comes up with its mouth wide open and thrashing. that's a familiar face. pulled it out. a 2.5ish pound largemouth bass. took a more than a few seconds to unhook and release as the hook was buried in its jaw and didn't want to injure the fish.

1:15: exact same story as above except this one took me 9 minutes to get in and was a second largemouth bass estimating approximately 3 1/4- 3 1/2 pounds.

All out of season fish released

Other incidentals include a small smallie (approx. 6 inches) a baby rockie, a 6" crappie. all released

a day VERY necessary for the fast handed fisherman. non-stop aggressive action all day long everywhere from 12 fow to 6 fow. drilled in a couple deeper holes, 15ish fow and did mark a few but no takers. only point I didn't have action.

will not distribute pictures of fish just in case people take it the wrong way without a release pic. (have had backlash in previous OOS posts of incidental fish

PMEmail Poster
PashminaAfghan
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 01:39 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13954

Outstanding report, sir....thanks for sharing!

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Mar 12, 2018 - 08:06 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Excellent report, thanks for posting

PMEmail Poster
littleyak
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 08:36 am

Fry

Member No.: 7263

A very fun day to cap off the season indeed.
Thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster
Summer679
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 - 08:17 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12076

It sounds like the perfect day to end the season . Good for you 👍

PMEmail Poster
N4X1Z0
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 08:09 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12473

That's a full day. Nice to see some larger fish in the lakes. I'm surprised at the open water you mentioned, but, you're right, the ice can change a lot over the course of the day. Our last time out, had lots of cracking and moving too.

PMEmail Poster
nineinches
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:03 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 473

ice is always cracking and popping early in the season and late season. It is of no real concern unless you are on a big body of water.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 - 07:22 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15807

agree with 9" (can be unnerving to some but if you can get over it, there is more ice fishing ahead). it is sometimes hard to convince those joining you on a fishing trip that the cracks won't result in the ice breaking and them being swallowed up. But if the ice is cracking and popping alot, it can mean the shoreline ice is moving as well so keep an eye out on your access point (if within view or have a back-up plan to get off the ice).
nice to see the fishing was good there. I fished there last year end of March with my brother and met up with a member of the board - I think it was 9" (shoreline was sketchy but there was still lots of ice but mostly honey-combed ice) - fishing was okay. Will try to do it again soon.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Mar 15, 2018 - 06:58 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Nice report!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace