Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pinhead minnows
deerhunter
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 02:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10322

Question. I have only been ice fishing twice in my life. The first time I bought big, fat hearty minnows from a local supplier. The worked great. The second time we were supplied with small (pinhead) minnows. We didn't have much luck with them. I was assured by the outfitter that the pinhead minnows were great for walleye. Just wondering, are the pinhead minnows good for walleye fishing? The seem too small for my hooks.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 03:11 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12683

They're crappy unless your into a hot perch bite.Unlike a preferred lively shiner they die and fall off the hook, maybe crappy for crappies too.

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 07:27 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

It's best to match the size of the bait to the size of the target fish, and this can vary somewhat with the season. In summer the fish are more active and are looking for larger bait.
Since the rule change a few years ago regarding pickerel size, I choose to no longer target pickerel, so now I fish in a different location and generally use only small bait, and I still find that I'm catching large fish, including pike. I'm sure I would catch more of these if the minnows were larger but it would also hinder the perch bite somewhat.
It's hard to reach a definitive conclusion based solely on your two outings, perhaps the fishing would still have been slow even if you had used larger bait instead of the pinheads.
On future outings I would suggest that you bring several different sizes of bait and see what is working best for that day. On this forum you'll see some of the fishing reports from other members and they will say that some days one size will out fish the other, and it isn't always the same from one day to the next. And sometimes you can't buy a fish no matter what you do.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 01:57 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

Pinheads can be the ticket sometimes. Generally during a light bite. I have fished 2 holes exactly the same side by side, only difference being size of the presentation and had them smash the pinhead 90% of the time.
Have to know how to fish them though.. downsize your hook/jig accordingly and use light line or the days where they will make a difference, they won't catch much at all.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 10:25 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Mar 28, 2018 - 01:57 am)
Pinheads can be the ticket sometimes. Generally during a light bite. I have fished 2 holes exactly the same side by side, only difference being size of the presentation and had them smash the pinhead 90% of the time.
Have to know how to fish them though.. downsize your hook/jig accordingly and use light line or the days where they will make a difference, they won't catch much at all.

x 2 on that.

had one day this winter where pinheads were the go to item for eyes...next day they wanted bigger.

and most certainly downsize your hooks when required.....I use size 10and 8 on finick days. fine wire and razer sharp

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
buddy
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 12:12 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

Another thing that I noticed from the story line, the first outing with big minnows was great and the second outing was terrible. Could it be that the first outing was early in the season and the second was near to the end? If yes then you may be the victim of the lake. Nipissing has a hot walleye/pickerel bite at the start of the season but drops off as the winter progresses. You can see this for yourself from the fishing reports on this forum, the early season reports measures the fish quantities using exponential notation and the late season reports are only registering a handful of fish from an entire group.

PMEmail Poster
JayC
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 04:52 pm

Fry

Member No.: 9648

For pickerel I like to use the 2.5-3in long minnows. I usually hook one or two on a buckshot spoon and jig with it. If I find the bite is slow then I will downsize to one minnow or even just use a minnow head. You will see what they want on the flasher and that will dictate the size of your presentation and your technique.

Sometimes the bite is so furious that you can basically just drop anything down and it will work. Just depends on the day.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace