Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> French River
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 05:18 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9514

Hey Everyone,

I am fishing the Upper French River during the opener. Hopefully, weather wise, everything is cleared up by then.

I have never fished this area before. Any recommendations or tips on what to expect and gear to bring?

The goal is walleye.

Thanks!

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 01:01 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6034

I'd troll a worm harness deeper during the day and stick baits shallow at night. Expect the bigger fish at night.

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 06:39 am

Parr Trout

Thanks so much Chuck! Plenty of worm harnesses in the arsenal.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 07:16 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

X2 on what Chuck says.
You should find a decent population of Walleye, most will (likely) be under the slot limit, but should find enough Wallys for a shore lunch for sure.

Good Luck,

PMEmail Poster
remi
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 08:13 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7641

I've fished it a lot over the years, 1/2 oz jig and worms or minnows . Look for 15-20 ft off small islands .

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Blake85
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 11:57 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12915

X2 - Great call on trolling some harnesses, always a top producer for me. I like them tipped with live crawlers whenever possible. Trolling can also be an excellent way to cover a lot of water on a potentially unknown body of water. Keep an eye out for structure.

Shallow shad raps, troll at a slow speed, find shoals, transitions, weed line edges, wind blown points, creek mouths, channels, area of current, all great spots to find em.

And when do you figure em out; replicate. Troll over and over the same spot, even stop and try a light jig on a flouro leader (they can get line shy). I've always liked 1/8th ounce, chartreuse grub or paddle tail swim bait in early season. VMC makes some nice products for that application. Should they not like the bright, vibrant colour like a more natural, brown, silver (they can get picky).

Don't be afraid to fish shallow early season, catch those babies in transition from their spawning grounds, in search of food and their mid summer hideouts.

Good luck

Blake

PMEmail Poster
darkhorse
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 01:37 pm

Parr Trout

Thank you so much everyone! Fantastic answers.

I am really looking forward to this trip. We usually fish Rice in the Spring, but thought we would mix it up this year. When I booked it, I didn't realize that it has the same regs as Lake Nipissing.

No big deal...I'm always happy to release. Maybe we can nab a few that are in the slot range though. Does the French River have crappie?

Thanks again!

PMEmail Poster
RAM3500
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 10:05 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11509

Jigs have always worked for me there. Pink/White and minnows.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace