» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hand Auger Center Point, Has any one tried?
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 12:44 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 6034

I find it easier to connect a hole if you drill the first one about 75% of the way through, then do the second one, then go back and finish the first. Easier to keep the bit straight if the hole is not already flooded.

Or, you could try and get your hands on a Nils power point auger.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 05:52 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Feb 13, 2018 - 10:44 pm)
K drill has a center point

The K-drill auger is probably the best option when it comes to an auger that uses an electric drill that can cut clean connecting holes. It is also Super light in comparison to powered auger bits.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 07:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Guys this practice is very dangerous..
It only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured by stepping into these holes and breaks a leg. I've seen some holes left on the ice that a child would go right thru...
I'm sure no one would want that on their conscience... One hole folks and if it's not big enough then get a bigger auger..

PMEmail Poster
Orangebucket2
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 09:52 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14719

Well I was thinking of a K drill but why spend the $$ if I can just modify the Moira for a few dollars plus I still have the handle as a back up to the electric drill which I cant do with a K drill. I have a gas auger but I hate lugging the beast out several Kms if I can reduce the weight with electric.

As for overlapping holes and danger I dont see it as anywhere near as dangerous as the big chainsaw cut outs from semi permanents. I just make sure I mark them. Overlapping holes are nice for sighting perch and since I am doing this with a 6" it isnt bigger than a 12" gas auger hole unless you are doing more than 2 holes

OB.

This post has been edited by Orangebucket2 on Feb 14, 2018 - 09:54 am

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 08:24 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10778

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Feb 14, 2018 - 07:46 am)
Guys this practice is very dangerous..
It only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured by stepping into these holes and breaks a leg. I've seen some holes left on the ice that a child would go right thru...
I'm sure no one would want that on their conscience... One hole folks and if it's not big enough then get a bigger auger..

X2
Would hate to step into a “cloverleaf” or break a leg!

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 08:32 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10778

QUOTE (Marko @ Feb 13, 2018 - 07:11 pm)
Hello, I was wondering how you sharpened the blades, I tried to do it once, but was unsuccessful. How do you do it? What tools do you use? Can somebody who is not a machinist do it successfully?

There’s another thread on this subject already. This is my wisdom on this topic:
1; This is the most important point!!! Before you attempt to sharpen your existing blade have a spare, factory sharpened (brand new) set in your tackle box along with the necessary tools to swap the blades out on the ice
2; look up how to sharpen the blades on YouTube
3; be patient and be prepared to do a lot of blade switching back and forth before the “sharpened” blades work properly. By that time your second set should be ready for a touch-up as well

Ohhh and you don’t have to be a machinist to sharpen them!
Good luck

PMEmail Poster
landonfish
Posted: Feb 15, 2018 - 07:41 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5784

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Feb 13, 2018 - 09:10 pm)
QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Feb 13, 2018 - 08:18 pm)
QUOTE (smokeeter @ Feb 13, 2018 - 08:14 pm)
why not just get a bigger auger 10"?

Sure, a 10” gas would be great.

Love that responds!

Hand drilling 10 inch hole will be hell. I remember when I hand auger two 8 inch holes with 7 inches of ice..... I did not want to move even if there was no fish under me all day.

I do manage to cut figure 8 holes with the drill adaptor. Not as nice as when we had the gas auger.

I cut 10-16 holes per day on the manual in 10-12" of ice when i'm on the speck hunt, its not a race and shouldn't be over exerting you to the point of not moving.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 15, 2018 - 07:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

12 to 15 seconds to cut thru 20 to 22 inches of ice 3 weeks ago... My Finn bore auger is always sharp and when I'm done with it the the protective cover goes on it.. Never let anyone use your auger and if someone asks drill them a hole..

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Feb 15, 2018 - 08:32 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Feb 15, 2018 - 08:56 am)
12 to 15 seconds to cut thru 20 to 22 inches of ice 3 weeks ago... My Finn bore auger is always sharp and when I'm done with it the the protective cover goes on it.. Ne..

Was that with a drill or just manual?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace