Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Humminbird transducer shield
callatis
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 10:05 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4290

Hi everyone!
I just installed my new Humminbrid Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and I noticed a lot of water splashing from the transducer.
I used to have the Humminbird CI 597, so I used the same transducer mount but this unit is much wider causing a lot of water splash.

Did anyone find a proper shield for for these transducers?
Thanks a lot!

PMEmail Poster
Peeetor
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 12:14 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15872

I'm running the same setup and have a rooster tail coming off the transducer as high as the top of my outboard. I've filled in the opening between the mount and transducer with epoxy to see if that will stop the fountain. Will know this weekend up on Nippissing

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 28, 2018 - 01:01 pm

Parr Trout

I understand what you did, but from other reports it seems we need something like this (sold in Australia):

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 29, 2018 - 10:09 am

Parr Trout

I just spoke to Humminbird tech support and they mentioned I should have a rooster tail plug in the box that should cover the rectangular gap between the transducer and the transducer mounting bracket.
The solution is to block this opening and it will eliminate the problem. I'll check my box when I get home.
It should look like this:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 29, 2018 - 08:36 pm

Parr Trout

Well, the rooster tail rubber plug it was in the box but it was also previously installed as I had before a Humminbird 597 DI HD.
Any suggestion?

PMEmail Poster
bassmasterrr
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 05:11 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13353

If you loosen the bracket and find the right angle you should be able to get the plug in without taking it off your boat.

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 07:06 am

Parr Trout

I adjusted the transducer angle and next time on the water I'll see the results. Also, I will move the motor battery from the Port side to the Starboard side. At the same time with the sonar installation I replaced the motor and the trolling batteries and they are heavier. I guess this makes the boat to lean a bit on the Port side pulling the transducer of the water (not that much as it reads the water depth while cruising). On the other hand I am looking to get a Spray deflector.

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 07:07 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (bassmasterrr @ May 31, 2018 - 05:11 am)
If you loosen the bracket and find the right angle you should be able to get the plug in without taking it off your boat.

Thanks, but as I said in my previous post, I already had the plug installed from my previous Humminbird.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 12:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

I have a Helix 10 mega installed on the console, with the y-cable and another 2d transducer attached for high speed running. The side imaging and down imaging wonít work well at speeds above 5-6 mph, so thereís no reason to have the big transducer down below the bottom of the hull. As long as itís below the waterline while drifting/trolling, itíll work fine. Because of the way my hull is laid out, my 2d transducer needs to be a bit lower than normal so it rooster tails a bit. Iíve installed both transducers on their own transducer boards, at the heights I need, then on the 2d one, I bought a cheap plastic cutting board from the dollar store and cut it to size, and screwed it on top of the transducer board, no more rooster tail! Hereís some pics.

Mega transducer:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 12:11 pm

Trophy Trout

2d transducer

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 12:35 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks for your advice and pictures.

PMEmail Poster
callatis
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 02:41 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Seguin Fisher @ May 31, 2018 - 12:11 pm)
2d transducer

Thanks for the tip! I got the same transducer board and I understand the need of having the 2nd transducer.
Any tips for mounting the SI transducer if for the beginning I'll try using only one?
As far as the rooster tail, all YouTube videos I watched are indicating to raise the transducer in case of the water splash.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 05:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Every hull is different, you kind of just have to install it where you think itíll work and go test and adjust it as needed. For the si, make sure to get the mega transducer as level as you can both front to back and side to side for the best images. If you look up levelling si transducer on YouTube thereís some good videos showing how to do it with a torpedo level and a bunch of change.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace