» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Senior Fish for Free?, What kind of license do senior receive?
Fossy47
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:34 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9546

I was told yesterday (while on Pigeon Lake) that senior (over 64yrs) while they do fish free, (no license required) they fish under a conservation license rules.
I can't fish anything in ON regulations to support this.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

thx.

PMEmail Poster
Doral30
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:38 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 977

Ontario resident over 65 has 'Sport' license privileges.

PMEmail Poster
swiftdeer
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:47 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11020

Page 4 in the regulations...

A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are:
Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth.
A resident of Ontario and Canada with a disability, eligible for and in possession of:

a valid Canadian National Institute for the Blind National Identity Card issued to them; or, •
a valid Ontario Accessible Parking Permit issued under the Highway Traffic Act; or,

a black and white photocopy or printed version of an electronic copy of a valid Ontario Accessible Parking Permit issued under the Highway Traffic Act accompanied by any licence, permit, certifi- cate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person’s name and date of birth; or,

any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person’s name and date of birth. This individual must require the direct assistance of another person to fish and to follow applicable laws in respect of fishing because of a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability, a learning disability or dysfunction or a mental disorder. The person accompanying the above person does not require a fishing licence if they are only assisting, but must have a licence if they wish to engage in fishing.
Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the same catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence.
Do not laminate your licence. The heat from this process will cause the licence to become unreadable.[SIZE=7][B]

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 06:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

From my understanding any Ontario resident over 65 doesn’t need a license.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 07:30 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

yup, no license required, I take both seniors and legally blind anglers out for years, on the ice and waters of Ontario, now a little different in other provinces and states...sometimes it really ticks off the MNR wardens that dont know the rules above! (seeya in court again...) did not know the parking permit one though, good tip

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fossy47
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 02:09 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

Thanks guys for the update. I must have missed it in the regs. Can't wait to tell my buddy he is full of......it.

Let's hope the rumours of charging people 65 & over for a fishing license is just that, rumours.

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 03:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

So if you have a disabled parking permit you are good to go?

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: May 31, 2018 - 07:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

MNR have checked me out for 4 years now fishing on my drivers license....if 65 or over make sure you carry your drivers license.......I was handicapped since 2005 and from 2005 to 2014 I fished on my permanent handicap permit.......also checked out by MNR......and it is as is above in the regulations .....so if a senior or handicapped feel comfy to fish as long as you carry your documentation with you.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
swiftdeer
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 08:29 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11020

QUOTE (Fishing Rod @ May 31, 2018 - 03:55 pm)
So if you have a disabled parking permit you are good to go?

yes, just make sure you carry it on your person while fishing and follow the regulations for that body of water.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace